We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

This is very, very important: it is inaccurate and misleading to bothsidesdoit our present situation.

Supporting links at post. Emphasis mine.

April 1, 2024

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... ril-1-2024
[...]

Trump’s appeals to violence have gotten even more overt since the events of January 6.

And yet, on Meet the Press yesterday, Kristen Welker seemed to suggest that there is a general problem in U.S. politics when she described Trump’s attacks on Judge Merchan as “a reminder that we are covering this election against the backdrop of a deeply divided nation.”

But are the American people deeply divided? Or have Trump and his MAGA supporters driven the Republican Party off the rails?

One of the major issues of the 2024 election—perhaps THE major issue—is reproductive rights. But Americans are not really divided on that issue: on Friday, a new Axios-Ipsos poll found that 81% of Americans agree that “abortion issues should be managed between a woman and her doctor, not the government.” That number includes 65% of Republicans, as well as 82% of Independents and 97% of Democrats. The idea that abortion should be between a woman and her doctor was the language of the Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, overturned in 2022 with the help of the three extremist justices appointed by Trump.

Last week, the Congressional Management Foundation, which works with Congress to make it more efficient and accountable, released its study of the state of Congress in 2023. It found that senior congressional staffers overwhelmingly think that Congress is not functioning “as a democratic legislature should.” Eighty percent of them think it is not “an effective forum for debate on questions of public concern.”

But there is a significant difference in the parties’ perception of what’s wrong. While 61% of Republican staffers are satisfied that Congress members and staff feel safe doing their jobs, only 21% of Democratic staffers agree, and Democratic staffers are significantly more likely to fear for their and others’ safety. Women and longer-tenured staffers are more likely to be questioning whether to stay in Congress due to safety concerns. Eighty-four percent of Democratic staffers think that agreed-upon rules and codes of conduct for senators and representatives are not sufficient to “hold them accountable for their words and deeds,” while only 44% of Republicans say the same.

Republicans themselves seem split about the direction of their party. Republican staffers were far more likely than Democrats to be “questioning whether I should stay in Congress due to heated rhetoric from my party”: 59% to 16%.
“The way the House is ‘functioning,’ is frustrating many members,” wrote one House Republican deputy chief of staff. “We have to placate [certain] members and in my nearly ten years of working here I have never felt more like we’re on the wrong track.”

[...]
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

unsurprising, given that turning a blind eye (if i’m being generous) to political violence seems to be rather partisan
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:21 am unsurprising, given that turning a blind eye (if i’m being generous) to political violence seems to be rather partisan
Careful, the screeching monkeys will find you and screech BLM! and ANTIFA!! and GEORGE FLOYD!!! at you.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:23 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:21 am unsurprising, given that turning a blind eye (if i’m being generous) to political violence seems to be rather partisan
Careful, the screeching monkeys will find you and screech BLM! and ANTIFA!! and GEORGE FLOYD!!! at you.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

someone convince me that political violence isn’t just a flavor of domestic terrorism
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:43 am someone convince me that political violence isn’t just a flavor of domestic terrorism
Well, the guy presently second in the line of succession to the Presidency will tell you that 1/6 was just some tourists who got carried away.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:11 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:29 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:26 am Yea.

To be fair tho, I dunno if this ethos of the markets is exclusive to these days.
Post 2008-09
I think you can look further back, beyond even the dotcom bubble. The course of events following the Boeing/McDonnell-Douglas merger is an obvious example.
Sure, there have always been strains of it, but the post-2008 environment, with nearly 15 years of practically free money, exacerbated and amplified it tremendously.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:13 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:11 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:29 am

Post 2008-09
I think you can look further back, beyond even the dotcom bubble. The course of events following the Boeing/McDonnell-Douglas merger is an obvious example.
Sure, there have always been strains of it, but the post-2008 environment, with nearly 15 years of practically free money, exacerbated and amplified it tremendously.
But of course one could quite reasonably suggest that the "free money" that got us into 2008 is what precipitated the "free money" that got us out of it.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

So much deflection, let's get back on track here. The soulless nature of the current Rubepublican Party leaders.

At least they don't always eat their own? Sometimes they prey on the immigrant weak as well.
Migrants who were flown to Martha’s Vineyard, Mass., by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) in September 2022 can proceed with their case against charter flight company Vertol Systems Co., a district court judge ruled late last week.

A Massachusetts district court judge dismissed three counts levied against the Florida-based company but ruled Vertol must face the eight remaining counts. The judge dismissed the state actors, including DeSantis, as defendants in this case, after determining the court lacked jurisdiction.

On Sept. 14, 2022, migrants boarded two flights from San Antonio, Texas, to Martha’s Vineyard after allegedly being falsely promised better housing, work and educational opportunities.

GOP governors including DeSantis have flown and bused migrants to locations including Massachusetts, New York and Chicago, as what they say is an attempt to make liberal locations feel the impacts of lax immigration policies.

Lawyers on behalf of the migrants filed the case making allegations including violations of the Fourth and 14th amendments, civil rights violations, discrimination, false imprisonment, fraud/deceit, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent infliction of emotional distress, civil conspiracy and aiding and abetting.

Judge Allison D. Burroughs wrote that the defendants were not “legitimately enforcing any immigration laws,” but, “Instead, as alleged, they ‘exploit[ed] [Plaintiffs] in a scheme to boost the national profile of Defendant DeSantis and manipulate them for political ends.'”

“Moreover, Plaintiffs’ images were captured and sent to national news media. … Unlike ICE agents legitimately enforcing the country’s immigration laws, … the Court sees no legitimate purpose for rounding up highly vulnerable individuals on false pretenses and publicly injecting them into a divisive national debate,” Burroughs continued. “Treating vulnerable individuals like Plaintiffs in this way, as alleged and accepted as true for purposes of the motion to dismiss, … is nothing short of extreme, outrageous, uncivilized, intolerable, and stunning.”

The judge also ruled that lawyers for the migrants have sufficiently alleged that the migrants were targeted because they were from South American countries or are “Latinx, and thus made for better props in Defendants’ photo op.”

Vertol did not respond to a request for comment.
But Vertol got some guffaws from the Rubes so it was prolly worth it. And seriously, this is definitely what the Jeebus would have done with immigrants if the bro was still around.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Something about the world's largest construction company comes to mind.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I guess Rubepublicans are right to be convinced that election fraud is going on.
SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — The wife of an Iowa county supervisor was sentenced Monday to four months in jail after being convicted in a scheme to stuff the ballot box to support her husband’s unsuccessful campaign for a congressional seat.

Kim Taylor also was ordered to serve four months' home confinement following her release from prison and to pay $5,200, KTIV-TV reports.

Prosecutors said Taylor, a Vietnam native who was convicted in November of 52 counts related to voter fraud, approached numerous voters of Vietnamese heritage with limited English comprehension and filled out and signed election forms and ballots on behalf of them and their English-speaking children.

They said the scheme was designed to help her husband, Jeremy Taylor, a former Iowa House member, who finished a distant third in the 2020 race for the Republican nomination to run for Iowa’s 4th District congressional seat. Despite that loss, he ultimately won election to the Woodbury County Board of Supervisors that fall.

No one testified to seeing Kim Taylor personally sign any of the documents, but her presence in each voter’s home when the forms were filled out was the common thread through the case.

Jeremy Taylor, who met his wife while teaching in Vietnam, has not been charged, but has been named as an unindicted co-conspirator.
Who says cheaters never win?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

All I see is further proof that Justice is unjustly persecuting Republicans
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

defixione wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:01 pm Something about the world's largest construction company comes to mind.
I know they aren't the biggest, but for some reason, I keep thinking Saudi Binladen Group...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:27 pm
defixione wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:01 pm Something about the world's largest construction company comes to mind.
I know they aren't the biggest, but for some reason, I keep thinking Saudi Binladen Group...
A lot of American projects got them there too.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Because Merica wants it's own Putin.

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/trump-2028/

Never let the rubefucking end!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfc
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Let this all be a lesson of just how insanely powerful our worst, basest, reptilian instincts are.

Fully 1/3 of the country is absolutely in the thrall of an openly-aspiring dictator whose only defense to a charge of being objectively evil is that he is too stupid and/or too amoral to be rightly described as immoral.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

To wit - how the FUCK is this ok?

April 2, 2024

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.c ... ril-2-2024
Almost six months have passed since President Joe Biden asked Congress to appropriate money for Ukraine in a national security supplemental bill. At first, House Republicans said they would not pass such a bill without border security. Then, when a bipartisan group of senators actually produced a border security provision for the national security bill, they killed it, under orders from former president Trump.

In February the Senate passed the national security supplemental bill with aid for Ukraine without the border measures by a strong bipartisan vote of 70 to 29. Senator Susan Collins (R-ME) cheered its passage, saying: “The national security bill passed by the Senate is of profound importance to America’s security.”

The measure would pass in the House by a bipartisan vote, but House speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) has refused to take it up, acting in concert with Trump.

On March 24, on Washington Week, foreign affairs journalist Anne Applebaum said: “Trump has decided that he doesn’t want money to go to Ukraine… It's really an extraordinary moment; we have an out-of-power ex-president who is in effect dictating American foreign policy on behalf of a foreign dictator or with the interests of a foreign dictator in mind.”

On Thursday, March 28, Beth Reinhard, Jon Swaine, and Aaron Schaffer of the Washington Post reported that Richard Grenell, an extremist who served as Trump’s acting director of national intelligence, has been traveling around the world to meet with far-right foreign leaders, “acting as a kind of shadow secretary of state, meeting with far-right leaders and movements, pledging Trump’s support and, at times, working against the current administration’s policies.”

Grenell, the authors say, is openly laying the groundwork for a president who will make common cause with authoritarian leaders and destroy partnerships with democratic allies. Trump has referred to Grenell as “my envoy,” and the Trump camp has suggested he is a frontrunner to become secretary of state if Trump is reelected in 2024.

Applebaum was right: it is extraordinary that we have a former president who is now out of power running his own foreign policy.

For most of U.S. history, there was an understanding that factionalism stopped at the water’s edge. Partisans might fight tooth and nail within the U.S., but they presented a united front to the rest of the world. That understanding was strong enough that it was not for nearly a half century that we had definitive proof that in 1968 Republican presidential candidate Richard Nixon had launched a secret effort to thwart incumbent president Lyndon Baines Johnson’s peace initiative to end the Vietnam War; Nixon had tried very hard to hide it.

But the era of hiding attempts to undermine foreign policy ended in 2015, when 47 Republican senators openly warned Iranian officials that they would destroy any agreement Iran made with then-president Barack Obama, a Democrat, over nuclear weapons as soon as a Republican regained the White House. At the time it sparked a firestorm, although the senators involved could argue that they, too, should be considered the voice of the government.

It was apparently a short step from the idea that it was acceptable to undermine foreign policy decisions made by a Democratic president to the idea that it was acceptable to work with foreign operatives to change foreign policy. In late 2016, Trump’s then national security advisor Michael Flynn talked to Russian foreign minister Sergey Kislyak about relieving Russia of U.S. sanctions. Now, eight years later, Trump is conducting his own foreign policy, and it runs dead against what the administration, the Pentagon, and a majority of senators and representatives think is best for the nation.

Likely expecting help from foreign countries, Trump is weakening the nation internationally to gain power at home.
In that, he is retracing the steps of George Logan, who in 1798 as a private citizen set off for France to urge French officials to court popular American opinion in order to help throw George Washington’s party out of power and put Thomas Jefferson’s party in.

Congress recognized that inviting foreign countries to interfere on behalf of one candidate or another would turn the United States into a vassal state, and when Logan arrived back on U.S. shores, he discovered that Congress had passed a 1799 law we now know as the Logan Act, making his actions a crime.

The law reads: “Any citizen of the United States, wherever he may be, who, without authority of the United States, directly or indirectly commences or carries on any correspondence or intercourse with any foreign government or any officer or agent thereof, with intent to influence the measures or conduct of any foreign government or of any officer or agent thereof, in relation to any disputes or controversies with the United States, or to defeat the measures of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.”

Trump’s interference in our foreign policy is weakening Ukraine, which desperately needs equipment to fight off Russia’s invasion. It is also warning partners and allies that they cannot rely on the United States, thus serving Russian president Vladimir Putin’s goal of fracturing the alliance standing against Russian aggression.

Today, Lara Seligman, Stuart Lau, and Paul McLeary of Politico reported that officials at the meeting of North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) foreign ministers in Brussels on Thursday are expected to discuss moving the Ukraine Defense Contact Group from U.S. to NATO control. The Ukraine Defense Contact Group is an organization of 56 nations brought together in the early days of the conflict by U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and then–Joint Chiefs chair General Mark Milley to coordinate supplying Ukraine.

Members are concerned about maintaining aid to Ukraine in case of a second Trump presidency.

Jim Townsend, a former Pentagon and NATO official, told the Politico reporters: “There’s a feeling among, not the whole group but a part of the NATO group, that thinks it is better to institutionalize the process just in case of a Trump re-election. And that’s something that the U.S. is going to have to get used to hearing, because that is a fear, and a legitimate one.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

traveling around the world to meet with far-right foreign leaders

a president who will make common cause with authoritarian leaders

lulz
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(Yes, that bit is obviously cherry picked, for its irony, and is not meant to take away from how fucked up the shadow Secretary of State shit is)