We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by ousdahl »

In a way I wish it was a Democrat potus pulling these stunts - which is to say, I at least have some strange faith republicans would keep him/her in check.

But a GOP potus does it, and the Dems are their usual looser selves, and the pubs are giddy about so much winning.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

This USPS shit going down is insane.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I assume the Supreme Court would be the ones to have to ultimately rule upon this but how/why is it being allowed?
I don't give a fuck if it's the President and the Post Master General who are the ones authorizing it.
I would think "congress" would have to vote on it. Yes? No?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

one would think so
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

It feels like the Republican Party has swerved off its tracks, leaving a lot of conservative. non-religious, non-kooks stranded.

My mom calls herself a "recovering republican" as she sees more and more of the platform items that she supports appearing on the Dem platform and more that she opposes appear on the GOP platform.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The real question though is, how many “recovering republicans” will actually vote any different?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:05 am It feels like the Republican Party has swerved off its tracks, leaving a lot of conservative. non-religious, non-kooks stranded.

My mom calls herself a "recovering republican" as she sees more and more of the platform items that she supports appearing on the Dem platform and more that she opposes appear on the GOP platform.
God bless your mom. She seems to be someone who has a clue, educates herself, and doesn't allow her past loyalty to blind and brainwash her.

I laugh that when I was at KU people in frats who I was (and was not) friends with referred to me as a GDI. I was PROUD to be a "GDI" and not "conform" to Frat life. To each their own.

Today in terms of my political views, I'm a self labeled Independent but no doubt I often "side" Democratic in terms of many things.
It truly blows my mind when I try and have political discussions with friends who are clearly 100% brainwashed and/or blindly loyal to a particular party and then when I call them out - they have no response.
I ask them, how do YOU feel about a topic and what do YOU believe. Often they respond, "I don't know".
I tell them it's good to admit ignorance and they should educate themselves but the problem is when they do "educate" themselves, they are going to 100% biased sources for their education.

My hope is there are "recovering Republicans" - who have morals - and see the error/s of the ways of the current Republican "climate".
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

11 weeks to go.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:09 am The real question though is, how many “recovering republicans” will actually vote any different?
And how many Bernie followers will sit out the election because they see Biden as a "corporatist"?

If Trump loses, I feel like we're at a turning point with the current party definitions. I could see either having one party that is the populist party, which is going to be true Trump supporters, the Q folk, and the Bernie folk combined, with the educated folk (disenfranchised Republicans and moderate Democrats) on the other. Or we'll see a three party system like so many other countries have - basically what I laid out above, except for the far left and Trumpists joining together.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Didn't know what thread to put this one in, so guess it will go here:

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/statu ... 3379581956
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:18 pm Didn't know what thread to put this one in, so guess it will go here:

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/statu ... 3379581956
JFC. Could that party try any harder to lose reasonable people from supporting them? Why on earth are these people worthy of being featured? I dont care whether it was right or wrong what they did (morally or legally), they still are irrelevant and only used as a divisive tool.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:29 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:09 am The real question though is, how many “recovering republicans” will actually vote any different?
And how many Bernie followers will sit out the election because they see Biden as a "corporatist"?

If Trump loses, I feel like we're at a turning point with the current party definitions. I could see either having one party that is the populist party, which is going to be true Trump supporters, the Q folk, and the Bernie folk combined, with the educated folk (disenfranchised Republicans and moderate Democrats) on the other. Or we'll see a three party system like so many other countries have - basically what I laid out above, except for the far left and Trumpists joining together.
Trump supporters and Bernie supporters in the same party. That would be special.

Is this one of those safe-word posts where someone is supposed to realize that you are in some sort of distress?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Give him a break, Mjl is just another closet Trumper who is struggling with the realization that the end is near. His mind is currently fucked.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

What’s next for the RNC?

Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, some strippers, former KKK grand wizards?

What a circus.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:19 pm no plan, at all, for anything

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ulus-polls
Great read.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That St. Louis couple is such a good representation of the GOP, albeit very unintentionally so.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:09 am Give him a break, Mjl is just another closet Trumper who is struggling with the realization that the end is near. His mind is currently fucked.
Lol, where have I shown Trump support? I have made it clear many times that I'm voting for Biden.