We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
Deleted User 318

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by Deleted User 318 »

It’s 100% clear who owns the GOP now:

https://www.businessinsider.com/donald- ... reddit.com

Donald Trump is to speak on all 4 nights of the RNC, and his family will take up half of the keynote speaker spots

President Donald Trump will speak on all four nights of next week's Republican National Convention, breaking with the longstanding tradition limiting the party's presidential candidate to one big acceptance speech on the last night of the event, The New York Times reported.

Trump will speak at the RNC's first-ever virtual event every night in a prime-time 10pm slot, reported the Times. The party plans are being coordinated by two former Apprentice producers who hope to eclipse the DNC's first virtual convention last week. Trump was the show's host for the first fourteen seasons, and the show's popularity gave him a national profile and contributed to his rise to the presidency.

According to Politico, Trump believes that last week's DNC event was too "gloomy," and wants a more upbeat tone for the GOP conference.

Some of the conference events, reportedly including the president's acceptance speech, will be hosted at the White House, which is not traditionally used by presidents for campaign events. It's a move that has been denounced by critics as unethical....
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

What can he possibly talk about?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

On the other hand, if this isn’t telling of the future of the GOP then I don’t know what is.

Embarrassing.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 318

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... z9z4vSZrgU

57 percent of Republicans say coronavirus death toll is 'acceptable'
A majority of Republicans said that the number of coronavirus deaths in the U.S. — now topping 176,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University — is “acceptable,” according to a poll released Sunday.

A CBS News-YouGov poll determined that 57 percent of Republican respondents said the U.S. death toll for COVID-19 has been “acceptable,” while 43 percent said it was “not acceptable.” Republicans were the only partisan group of which a majority of voters said the number of deaths has been acceptable.

Among Democrats, 10 percent said the coronavirus death toll in the U.S. has been acceptable, while 90 percent said it was not acceptable. For independents, 33 percent labeled the death toll as acceptable, and 67 percent called it unacceptable.

Republican respondents also differed among all voters on whether the U.S.’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic is “going well,” with 73 percent agreeing with that assessment. A total of 38 percent of all voters said it was going well....
Deleted User 318

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/5 ... t5buX0Ly18

3 in 4 Republicans say US is in better shape than four years ago: poll

Republican voters hold a rosier view of the country's overall state compared to four years ago than do Democrats heading in to this week's Republican National Convention (RNC), a new poll finds.

A CBS News poll of registered voters nationwide found that 75 percent of Republican-identified voters say the country is better off now than it was four years ago...
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

How can anyone see those numbers and not get depressed? Democracy and the internet are not working together.

Anyone have any ideas?
Deleted User 318

Vote.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Cult.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f42 ... 824f9a33ce

This is what passes for normal in the modern Republican Party. They’re not even trying to hide!!
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Deleted User 289

Sent to me by a friend.....

The statements below were copied from a friend and I am in agreement.
As a left-leaning Christian (yes - there are lots of us!) who supports Joe Biden, I'd like to clarify a few things.
They say we want to disband police departments (and that we hate the police). We don’t, that’s a lie. We want to weed out racism and unnecessary police brutality and for those who abuse their power to be held accountable.
They say we want to release all prisoners. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want to weed out racism and ensure the punishments match the crimes and to de-privatize prisons.
They say we want open borders. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want asylum seekers to be given their chance to seek asylum. We want to help people who are coming from unimaginable terror and poverty and give them the chances we have. We want to ensure children aren’t separated from their parents and that nobody is kept in cages. But we do want proper vetting.
They say we want to take away your guns. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want logical gun control to help prevent mass shootings.
They say we want to wage a war on Christianity and Christian values. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want people of all religions to be able to practice and worship freely.
They say we want to get everything for free. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want to work hard and make sure that healthcare and education are affordable for all.
They say we want a war against traditional marriage. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want people of all sexual orientations to be able to love freely, no matter who you love.
They say we want to destroy or rewrite history. We don’t, that’s a lie. We want to recognize the ugly parts of our past and do everything we can to say “that’s not okay, let’s not honor those aggressors, let’s not let those things happen again.”
They say we want to take away your constitutional rights. We don’t, that’s a lie. We choose to believe science and we wear masks to prevent the spread of this disease.
They say we hate America. We don’t, that’s a lie. We recognize our faults and want us to do better, be better.
Our position is one of empathy, compassion and logic. Stop believing the hype. Stop with the division. Stop with the straw man arguments. Stop telling us what we believe in. Just because we want equality for all doesn’t mean we want to take anything away from you.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Well said.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I don’t know where to put this, but since none of these people have a soul (or a brain), here ya go:

https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/v ... 160181460/

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

It's kewl to be a Pub in 2020!

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is a long, detailed, dense read about what happened to the Republican party. I highly encourage the entire thing (noting that very little of it, actually, is about the possibility of following Germany's path).

“I’LL NEVER QUESTION 1938 IN GERMANY AGAIN”: AN EX-REPUBLICAN STRATEGIST SURVEYS THE WRECKAGE OF TRUMP’S GOP

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/09 ... ype=earned
You’re from the world of political consultants. I think of you as a kind of political cowboy, a craftsman of political storytelling. And I always thought consultants were more interested in strategy than rigid beliefs. And to some degree, you copped to that, in the book. But at some point, you hit some kind of moral rock bottom. Was there a moment? What was the revelation?

Yeah, sure, about ten o’clock on election night in 2016 when Trump won. Look, I was a consultant. I was about winning. But I also believed that there was a core set of beliefs that, say, 90% of the party would have agreed on, were fundamental, definitional, nonnegotiable for the Republican Party: personal responsibility, character counts, strong on Russia, deficit matters, fiscal sanity, free trade, strongly pro-legal immigration. These were fundamental, nonnegotiable bedrock principles that define what it was to be a Republican. So, Trump is not that, the party now has drifted away from those. The party is actively against each of those. We are the character-doesn’t-count party. We are to the left of Bernie Sanders on trade, as far as I can figure out any coherent policy to it. We’re [Vladimir] Putin’s poodle. And so, then you say, How does anybody abandon deeply held beliefs in three, four years? and I think the answer is you don’t. It just means you didn’t deeply hold them.

[...]

It’s hard to be self-critical of why it is we’ve lost a popular vote every year since ’88, except 2004. And the answers were pretty obvious but still important to state: the need to appeal to more nonwhites, the need to appeal to younger voters, the need to appeal to more women, particularly single women. What’s interesting though is these are now presented not just as political necessities but as a moral mandate, that if you deserve to be the governing party of this big, confusing, loud, changing country, you need to reflect these things. So, everybody agreed and nodded. And then we got to Donald Trump and we just threw it all out the window kind of like an audible sigh of relief, like thank God, we don’t have to pretend we actually care about this stuff. We can still just win with white people. And it just exposes how completely phony it was. I think Trump looked at the Republican Party with sort of an animal instinct and realized that this is a group of weak people who don’t really believe in anything, except winning, except power. And if I can give them power, they will allow me to be whatever I want to be. And I think he was right.

[...]

In [1993], Bill Clinton proposes a tax increase. It passes by one vote. At the time, every Republican predicted economic Armageddon. This was a time when Dr. Kevorkian was a popular cultural figure, the assisted suicide doctor, and they refer to it as a Kevorkian tax increase. So, I made a million ads about that. And we won every race in 1994 on that message. Guess what? We were wrong. It helped launch one of the greatest periods of economic expansion and growth in the history of the country. And Clinton was the last president to wrestle the deficit to some sort of standstill. So, I think you have to learn from facts. I think that there’s been a deeply flawed economic theory at the heart of a lot of Republican economics.

Trump ran the way we used to accuse Democrats of running. We used to accuse Democrats of saying, You believe that there’s a finite amount of wealth in the country and that we need to focus on how to divide that wealth. We would say, No, there’s not. We can grow. There’s an infinite amount here. And we should focus on how best to expand that.

Trump ran on the pretense that to be born in America is to be a victim, that you’re a sucker, that there are these powerful forces out there that are taking advantage of you. It’s a complete reversal of “to be born in the Reagan era was to win life’s lottery—you’re the luckiest person in the world. You’re an American.” For Trump, you’re a chump. And [he’s] going to go out and even the score for you, buddy. It’s a weaponization of white grievance.

[...]

Your dad’s not going to be going to a football game. It’s dangerous for him to go shopping. Donald Trump has made the world more dangerous for your father in a very tangible, real [way]. It didn’t have to be this way. It’s not this way in Canada. If your dad goes across the border to Ottawa, he’s going to be a lot safer. And it’s not genetic. It’s government. And it’s not conservative or liberal. It is the combination of the anti-intellectualism, the anti-education elements of the Republican Party, and the anti-elite elements of the Republican Party, so-called, that have culminated in this toxic brew that is killing tens of thousands of Americans. I mean, more Americans are going to die because of this combination of political beliefs than major wars. This virus [is] attacking Americans. And Donald Trump is making it a lot worse, and we all know this. But Republicans won’t even stand up to defend America.

[...]

Courage is getting out of the boat when the guy in front of you gets shot. And they don’t have the courage to stand up to some fat, ridiculous imbecile from Queens. And it’s shameful. It should be their legacy. They are killing their neighbors to defend Donald Trump. I’m very comfortable calling Trump a traitor because I really think he is against America, what it means to be an American. I don’t think these Republican politicians—I know a lot of them, I helped elect a lot of them, they’re good people. If you’re stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, they’d stop and help you in a heartbeat. If they lived next door to you, they’d be a really good neighbor. They’re not mean people. But there’s something here that has been a complete collapse of responsibility that they had to defend democracy in America. And they failed.

[...]

“You know the thing about this democracy is somebody has to be willing to lose.” What happened with Republicans is that, to believe that if Hillary Clinton is elected the country is lost, you’re really not an American. You really don’t believe in America. When somebody like Matt Schlapp goes out and says, “We have to save this country. These people are going to destroy the country,” they’re not Americans. Personally, I don’t think they really believe this. But if you don’t believe that America can survive the election of a former secretary of state, a U.S. senator, you think America is some sort of fragile paper-mache creation, not a flourishing democracy that benefits from diversity.

[...]

I think there’s really three parties now in America: there’s two parties in the Democratic Party and then there’s a Conservative Party and the Republican Party. I don’t think the Republican Party is going to be very relevant for a long time. I think we’re at a period when we’re going to be in for center-left government. Probably that center-left government goes too far at some point and some logically coherent, moral, and intellectually defensible center-right opposition will emerge. But it’s not going to happen with these clowns like Josh Hawley and [Ted] Cruz. These are people who have made themselves ridiculous. Nikki Haley praising Charlie Kirk. These are people that faced a moment and the moment defeated them. I can’t tell you who it will be.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Thanks for sharing. Excellent read.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Friend of mine posted this.....

My response........

Man that was ACCUSED of "sexually assaulting" the mother of his children. It's golden when people who are Trump supporters post shit like this. It's like they completely forget and/or ignore that fact that your "grab 'em by the pussy" guy is the one who wished Ghislaine Maxwell "well" and has a long history of rape and sexual assault accusations against him. Serious question, why do Trump supporters not care that he is one of the biggest lying assholes and morally bankrupt scumbags on the face of the Earth but they are always quick to find fault with and criticize others? I know the answer but please feel free to try and feed me some defensive bullshit if you are so inclined.