We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:00 pm (Yes, that bit is obviously cherry picked, for its irony, and is not meant to take away from how fucked up the shadow Secretary of State shit is)
You'll have to indulge me. What's the irony?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s a pretty rad gif.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:13 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:00 pm (Yes, that bit is obviously cherry picked, for its irony, and is not meant to take away from how fucked up the shadow Secretary of State shit is)
Since when has meeting with far right authoritarians been a weird thing for the Secretary of State to do?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:04 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:13 pm
Since when has meeting with far right authoritarians been a weird thing for the Secretary of State to do?
I mean, I can identify one hole in this analysis.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I bet you can, CoyDC.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-sho ... rcna146351

"In light of Donald Trump’s overtly anti-immigrant platform, it wasn’t too surprising to see the Republican seize on the story of Ruby Garcia, a 25-year-old Michigan woman who was allegedly murdered by an undocumented immigrant. At a campaign event this week, the former president referenced Garcia and boasted, “I spoke to some of her family."

"Garcia’s sister said Trump didn’t speak with anyone from the family, and she criticized him for politicizing her sister’s death. “He did not speak with any of us,” Ruby’s sister, Mavi Garcia, said in an interview with NBC affiliate WOOD-TV. “So it’s kind of shocking seeing that he had said he had spoken with us ... misinforming people on live TV,” she said."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

take it to the immigration thread ;)

viewtopic.php?p=396899#p396899
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Gutter alert, I spent some time last week with a D member of Congress.

The conversation was interesting - this person expressed optimism and had kind words for several Rs, but says that in this person's view, you have to put pesky little things like "this other person is an election denier, and election deniers tried to murder me" on the back burner.

I'm not sure I could do that! And I have mixed feelings about whether that sort of pragmatism is justified or even okay.

What I found most illuminating was an example of just how much certain Rs work against their constituencies' actual interests (in service of their fever dreams). For example, certain Rs representing poor rural districts will get behind microphones and talk about things like balanced budget amendments and/or flat __% cuts across all federal programs.

Well, the reality is that things like that would disproportionately affect...poor rural districts, which do not have the local-level tax bases (to address budget gaps) as do (evil, Democrat-run) cities.

The analysis is sort of like why flat consumption taxes are disproportionately harsh on lower earners, but I hadn't considered it on the spending side.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

trump literally has zero idea what FISA is or does

but let’s not let that stop the house from acting a fool
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 am trump literally has zero idea what FISA is or does

Or, much more concerning, he does.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:47 pm Gutter alert, I spent some time last week with a D member of Congress.

The conversation was interesting - this person expressed optimism and had kind words for several Rs, but says that in this person's view, you have to put pesky little things like "this other person is an election denier, and election deniers tried to murder me" on the back burner.

I'm not sure I could do that! And I have mixed feelings about whether that sort of pragmatism is justified or even okay.

What I found most illuminating was an example of just how much certain Rs work against their constituencies' actual interests (in service of their fever dreams). For example, certain Rs representing poor rural districts will get behind microphones and talk about things like balanced budget amendments and/or flat __% cuts across all federal programs.

Well, the reality is that things like that would disproportionately affect...poor rural districts, which do not have the local-level tax bases (to address budget gaps) as do (evil, Democrat-run) cities.

The analysis is sort of like why flat consumption taxes are disproportionately harsh on lower earners, but I hadn't considered it on the spending side.
I wish we had a Gutter alert instead of a GutterMeter.

For an example of how fucked up our political system is in regards to your post....
See Arizona?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:39 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 am trump literally has zero idea what FISA is or does

Or, much more concerning, he does.
nah

or, if he does, he doesn’t care (or even really know, in the moment) that his characterization is wrong. to me, he just throws as much shit at the wall as possible…there isn’t some well-thought-out, detailed plan

quite literally just flooding the zone with shit with no regard for truth or consequences
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

do you think he’s intentionally misrepresenting what FISA is/does in order to halt its renewal and handcuff the FBI on collecting intel from, say, russia?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:43 am do you think he’s intentionally misrepresenting what FISA is/does in order to halt its renewal and handcuff the FBI on collecting intel from, say, russia?
I think that the manner in which FISA protects people is something he would like to go away in a second (forever) Trump administration.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Lindy Li has a potty mouth:

Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

GOP men are the problem.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

People like Barr deserve so much more derision and contempt than do the rubes.