We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:54 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:43 am Looks like we better get used to this fascist shit.

March 13, 2024-Donald Trump has formally clinched the GOP nomination that was always his. He has also installed extreme loyalists at the leadership of his party. This means that regardless of the outcome of this year's election, MAGA forces have consolidated control of the Republican Party.

Mitchell Minute 1824-Trump's Continuing Takeover of the GOP
It's going to be utter demolition downballot, everywhere.
Promise?

And even if it is, who says the fascists will concede?
They won't have any money to run their silly-ass litigation playbook.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:19 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:54 am

It's going to be utter demolition downballot, everywhere.
Promise?

And even if it is, who says the fascists will concede?
They won't have any money to run their silly-ass litigation playbook.
I'm sure you're right.

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The worst part of all this is the transparent dumbness of it. Very very very very very obviously the game here will be for the Rs to make a baseless, evidence-free criminal referral and then accuse the Biden DOJ of burying it.

And yet the rubes will lap it up.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1769368147 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
"We are at the point now of criminal referrals" -- James Comer to Maria Bartiromo on the impeachment investigation, which seems increasingly unlikely to culminate in an actual impeachment
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:08 pm The worst part of all this is the transparent dumbness of it. Very very very very very obviously the game here will be for the Rs to make a baseless, evidence-free criminal referral and then accuse the Biden DOJ of burying it.

And yet the rubes will lap it up.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1769368147 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
"We are at the point now of criminal referrals" -- James Comer to Maria Bartiromo on the impeachment investigation, which seems increasingly unlikely to culminate in an actual impeachment
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Immunity or not, the Russians want something for their money, eh Speaker?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

For Japhy only!

(This seems to confirm your worst fears.)

Stormy Daniels describes how Trump compared her to Ivanka
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

decent guy, what more can you say?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:51 am Z'is go here?

https://twitter.com/Villgecrazylady/sta ... 0401128876
Well, he is a republican.

Are you arguing for campaign finance reform? You?

BTW, are your "retweets" endorsements?

Isn’t that convenient? Help the Biden administration pull off a televised smear of the MAGA crowd and in exchange you get to head up a BS nonprofit, seeded with close to half a million from your old boss!

I admit I didn't enlarge every one of the charts, but do we know the increased contributions came from "pussy-hat wearing cat ladies", and not non-MAGA republicans who still believe in the rule of law, and the peaceful transfer of power?
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is as good a place as any.

How Blatantly False Headlines Can Distort What We Believe In

New research highlights the necessity of stopping huge falsehoods during the presidential election cycle
[In] this election year, a larger-than-life candidate is openly distorting reality and challenging fact on an unprecedented scale. Mendacity in the style of former president Donald Trump—and the uncritical repetition of such blatant lies—can measurably chip away at our ability to assess the plausibility of other, unrelated news stories, according to a new preprint analysis currently awaiting peer review.

Repeatedly viewing obviously outlandish claims makes people more likely to believe more ambiguous-seeming ones, the behavioral and cognitive scientists behind the new study conclude. The team’s results deal primarily with people’s beliefs rather than their ability to detect fake news (after all, something can be hard to believe yet still true). But the researchers also looked at how increases in perceptions of believability influenced people’s overall view of the truth.

Study co-author Reed Orchinik of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology says he wanted to examine our judgements of plausibility because he’s interested in how “the environment in which people encounter news affects the way that that news is interpreted.” He and his colleagues conducted five experiments with nearly 5,500 participants in all in which they asked these individuals toread or evaluate news headlines. Across all the experiments, participants exposed to blatantly false claims were more likely to believe unrelated, more ambiguous falsehoods.

[...]

In each experiment, some participants were exposed to lots of outlandish content: they saw implausible or false headlines between 58 and 80 percent of the time. And the participants who were shown more highly implausible headlines were more likely to believe ones that were less implausible. This effect was seen whether the participants self-identified as liberal or conservative. Also, as belief in plausibility rose, so did belief in truth. “Another takeaway from this paper is that if you see a lot of highly implausible things, plausible things are also viewed as more true,” whether they are or not, Orchinik says. Put simply: big lies make little lies more convincing.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:39 am

LOL.

Look at you thinking that most of this isn't the direct result of the 2002 McCain-Feingold/BRCA.

I mean...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:06 pm

LOL.

Look at you thinking that most of this isn't the direct result of the 2002 McCain-Feingold/BRCA.

I mean...
Silly me, I should have listened to that voice in my head that said it was absurd to think a Republican would care about campaign finance reform.

Not that what former Republican Rep Adam Kinzinger does isn't important, but how do feel about the leader of your party, the former and possible future Commander In Chief, hanging a For Sale sign out for the highest bidder?
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 pm

LOL.

I mean...
Silly me, I should have listened to that voice in my head that said it was absurd to think a Republican would care about campaign finance reform.

Not that what former Republican Rep Adam Kinzinger does isn't important, but how do feel about the leader of your party, the former and possible future Commander In Chief, hanging a For Sale sign out for the highest bidder?
If only there was an all-encompassing, eloquent and descriptive word for what you’re thinking………. I heard somewhere that there might be one…….if I recall, I think it starts with ko and has combination of mat and mpro………

My memory isn’t as good as it used to be!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Hypocrisy? What "hypocrisy"?

(In case anyone has forgotten, Rep Boebert is the Republican from Co. who was filmed fondling her date's genitalia in a movie theater, while vaping. Because, 'Family Values Party"!)

Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

LOL.

I mean...

Try again.

Which, interestingly, is also what you keep telling yourself.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:23 am
LOL.

I mean...

Try again.

OK, you win. As a Democrat I feel guilty that one of your fellow Republicans took advantage of weak campaign finance laws.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:42 am
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:23 am

Try again.

OK, you win. As a Democrat I feel guilty that one of your fellow Republicans took advantage of weak campaign finance laws.
Sometimes, you're slower than Hunter Dickinson.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Is the Republican Do Nothing Congress about to do even less? Who would have thought that was possible?

What a shit show the Republican party is. We deserve better. Not that I'll miss Christo-Fascist Speaker Mike Johnson much. Or, will I...?

Jake Sherman

@JakeSherman
·
27m
🚨BREAKING NEWS -- MTG chatting with the floor staff, just handed a piece of paper with a resolution to the parliamentarian staff.

She threatened earlier to file a motion to vacate....

@bresreports
and i just witnessed it.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Gaetz and Greene are absolute turds