Tik Tok

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Tik Tok

Post by jfish26 »

Well right - it's a completely nonserious idea-moth that just happened to flit by one of the remaining synapses.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Surprised it's taken so long:

From Seeking Alpha:

Lawmakers are set to vote this week on a bill that would force TikTok to divest from its parent company or face a ban in the U.S.

TikTok is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance (BDNCE). The bill would force the company to divest within 165 days or face a U.S. ban.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers introduced the legislation seeking to address national security fears over the popular short video app.

The legislation was introduced by Mike Gallagher (R-WI), chair of the House of Representatives' Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party, and Representative Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL), along with more than a dozen lawmakers. It is expected to see an initial vote on Thursday.

The measure would empower the president to designate social media apps that pose national security risks and have over 1M annual active users, which could lead to restrictions unless they sever ties with entities controlled by "a foreign adversary."

"This is my message to TikTok: break up with the CCP or lose access to American users," said Gallagher. "America's foremost adversary has no business controlling a dominant media platform in the U.S."

"This bill is an outright ban of TikTok," the company said. "This legislation will trample the First Amendment rights of 170M Americans and deprive 5M small businesses of a platform they rely on to grow and create jobs."

The bill is the latest attempt by lawmakers to force TikTok to sever ties with ByteDance (BDNCE), amid mounting tensions over China and data privacy.

A 2020 attempt by former President Donald Trump to ban TikTok had been blocked by courts. The Biden administration later ordered a national security review, while Congress passed a bill to outlaw TikTok on federal devices.

Meanwhile, Montana attempted to ban TikTok, but a judge ruled that the move violated the Constitution and overstepped state power...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The same two bipartisan legislators are also on the point for anti-Chinese biotech companies bill, Beigene and WuXi AppTech by name, on the basis that they are “national security threat”. It’s created a lot stir in the Biopharmaceutical industry
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I kinda wonder if the better move is to single out Tik Tok specifically, or to just install more and better consumer protections on social media in general. It’s not like Tik Tok is the only platform doing lord knows what with user data

I also wonder to what degree this is a result of Meta lobbying legislators to ban competition rather than just, you know, compete.

I read some take a while back that more than anything a tik tok ban is an indictment of U.S. tech regulations in general, but can’t remember the deets right meow. Might have to dig it up later
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:42 am I kinda wonder if the better move is to single out Tik Tok specifically, or to just install more and better consumer protections on social media in general. It’s not like Tik Tok is the only platform doing lord knows what with user data

I also wonder to what degree this is a result of Meta lobbying legislators to ban competition rather than just, you know, compete.

I read some take a while back that more than anything a tik tok ban is an indictment of U.S. tech regulations in general, but can’t remember the deets right meow. Might have to dig it up later
There's a ...when did you ever let that stop you before joke in here, but I'm too polite to point it out.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Zing!
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

ticktock is chinesse, right. ban em.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

House passes ban
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

What’ll we do without Tik Tok? What the Hell do I know, I’m turning eighty tomorrow!😃
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Gonna free up half of my wife’s life
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve never been on Tik Tok, tho one friend whose opinion I trust says it’s better at feeling like an actual community with actual connections and dialogue between folks with things in common.

Still hasn’t made me wanna try it tho, apparently
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's not a ban.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, what is it? They have to divest from China or whatever?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:53 pm Wait, what is it? They have to divest from China or whatever?
Yes, it's a forced divestiture.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:03 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:53 pm Wait, what is it? They have to divest from China or whatever?
So that Munchkin can form a buying group and take it over!

You will only have to watch 3 "Truth" Social videos and answer a brief survey proving your adoration of Cheeto Mussolini to be able to watch 6 uninterrupted TikToks.

Repeat until you are tired, or convinced.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Overlander wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:36 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:03 pm
So that Munchkin can form a buying group and take it over!

You will only have to watch 3 "Truth" Social videos and answer a brief survey proving your adoration of Cheeto Mussolini to be able to watch 6 uninterrupted TikToks.

Repeat until you are tired, or convinced.
It's fricking ridiculous. Blew my mind when I heard about that - Mnuchin spearheading an investment group to buy TikTok because........
Hey, if the allegations against TikTok being in cahoots with the Chinese government are true, then I understand the concern but I'm not a fan of the US Government being hypocritical.

I barley use TikTok but if I had a vote between Shou Zi Chew or Steven Mnuchin in regards to owning and operating TikTok (or any social media site) I would vote for Shou Zi Chew.

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1768270446963691828
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Biden signs bill to force divestment
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

because china whipped up that fungus and shipped it around the world. i have vowed to not buy china products.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:54 am because china whipped up that fungus and shipped it around the world. i have vowed to not buy china products.
The breadth and depth of your knowledge of the world is roughly the equivalent of a saltine cracker.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s generous
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?