Ugh.
ousdahl

Tik Tok

Post by ousdahl »

lulz
twocoach

Re: Tik Tok

Post by twocoach »

I won't mind not seeing kids arguing with each other because their uncoordinated friend can't get their nerdy choreography right.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 pm I won't mind not seeing kids arguing with each other because their uncoordinated friend can't get their nerdy choreography right.
I try not to make assumptions about things I have no idea about. Therefore, I'll ask - is there someone/anyone in your life who forces you to watch a Tik Tok video?
I had an 6/7/8 year old who would demand I watch specific videos - and it sucked - but I was willing to appease her because I loved the kid.

Anyways, if what Trump claims to be his reasoning is true, I actually don't have a problem with the "ban". Problem is I NEVER 100% believe what Trump claims - unless it's something negative about himself.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Can he actually do that without evidence?
Deleted User 289

Good question! He claims it's a matter of national security. Not sure how he can prove it. My guess is he doesn't have to.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 pm
twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:27 pm I won't mind not seeing kids arguing with each other because their uncoordinated friend can't get their nerdy choreography right.
I try not to make assumptions about things I have no idea about. Therefore, I'll ask - is there someone/anyone in your life who forces you to watch a Tik Tok video?
I had an 6/7/8 year old who would demand I watch specific videos - and it sucked - but I was willing to appease her because I loved the kid.

Anyways, if what Trump claims to be his reasoning is true, I actually don't have a problem with the "ban". Problem is I NEVER 100% believe what Trump claims - unless it's something negative about himself.
No, not the actual videos. Mercifully, I have one daughter too old for it and one daughter too young for it. Just kids I am around trying to record Tik Tok videos. I think I have seen a dozen groups of kids arguing about the video they were trying, and failing, to record.

Make no mistake, I do not care about this at all. I just have seen these little dust ups between friends often enough that it sticks out in my head.

Who knows what is going on with the app. If it came out that the Chinese government was really messing with it, it wouldn't surpruse me. If it was a big nothing, that wouldn't surprise me, either.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:08 pm

No, not the actual videos. Mercifully, I have one daughter too old for it and one daughter too young for it. Just kids I am around trying to record Tik Tok videos. I think I have seen a dozen groups of kids arguing about the video they were trying, and failing, to record.

Make no mistake, I do not care about this at all. I just have seen these little dust ups between friends often enough that it sticks out in my head.

Who knows what is going on with the app. If it came out that the Chinese government was really messing with it, it wouldn't surpruse me. If it was a big nothing, that wouldn't surprise me, either.
They have a 1500 person team in charge of tiktok USA. There are laws in place, especially in California, that would prevent them from just giving user data to their parent company. If they're doing something illegal they should be prosecuted on that.

I don't want to live in a country where the government can shut down a company without evidence. That's some communist stuff right there.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I actually agree with MjI here. I’m not a big supporter of TikTok or CCP, but this is an awful precedent. What’s to stop Biden from shutting down Trump Organization in the “interest of National Security”? Maybe that’s what should happen
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm

They have a 1500 person team in charge of tiktok USA. There are laws in place, especially in California, that would prevent them from just giving user data to their parent company. If they're doing something illegal they should be prosecuted on that.

I don't want to live in a country where the government can shut down a company without evidence. That's some communist stuff right there.
But I thought it was the Dems who were Communists and who were going to sick Federal Law Enforcement on US citizens?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

twocoach wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:18 pm

But I thought it was the Dems who were Communists and who were going to sick Federal Law Enforcement on US citizens?
You just can't help yourself...🙄
Deleted User 289

This made me laugh.
SUPPORT TikTok!?!?

https://twitter.com/AlanHunterMTV/statu ... 0791771136
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, now the gram is introducing a video editing feature like tik tok?

Was there ever a time when our business leaders actually innovated anything, instead of just stealing someone else’s ideas?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The newest stable-genius move here is, apparently, to tell Tik Tok that is has to be sold to a US company, and also that (in essence) the US will collect taxes on the sale proceeds.

Which is a ribbons-and-bows-perfect example of Trump not having any ideology. You will not find much support in the moneyed part of his base for directly taxing M&A activity.* All this is is "what can I say today that makes it sound like I'm tough on foreigners, ones I can also blame for Covid-19?"

* There is, of course, also no LEGAL basis for doing this. But that's a tertiary concern at best at this point.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

He's still just pissed that a bunch of teenage Tik Tok users clowned his Tulsa rally.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Facebook and Twitter also cracking down on Trump posting misinformation about the Rona.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:07 am He's still just pissed that a bunch of teenage Tik Tok users clowned his Tulsa rally.
There should be a universal life cycle for shit like this.

Mexico's going to pay for a wall.

We'll build it, and charge them.

We'll build it, and impose tariffs.

We'll build it, and pay our farmers subsidies to offset tariff losses.

We'll sort of build something like it, and continue the subsidies.

Squirrel!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:38 am The newest stable-genius move here is, apparently, to tell Tik Tok that is has to be sold to a US company, and also that (in essence) the US will collect taxes on the sale proceeds.

Which is a ribbons-and-bows-perfect example of Trump not having any ideology. You will not find much support in the moneyed part of his base for directly taxing M&A activity.* All this is is "what can I say today that makes it sound like I'm tough on foreigners, ones I can also blame for Covid-19?"

* There is, of course, also no LEGAL basis for doing this. But that's a tertiary concern at best at this point.
I don't understand what his base is at this point, but he's not going to lose them over this. If they haven't left him yet over some of this far-left stuff he's done, they're never going to leave him.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

On a voter-number standpoint, of course you're right.

But from a fundraising standpoint? You think the private equity and hedge fund guys, and so on and so forth, are for heightened government regulation of M&A?

I do not.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 am On a voter-number standpoint, of course you're right.

But from a fundraising standpoint? You think the private equity and hedge fund guys, and so on and so forth, are for heightened government regulation of M&A?

I do not.
When Biden is talking about raising capital gains taxes for the wealthy? They won't care, because the tax rate is more likely to affect them than the President's occasionally communist actions