Contributor

Re: Veep

Post by TDub »

We? I dont think you get a say.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

My worthless 2 cents. I am not happy he hasn't made an announcement yet. Reason being, it tells me he is not completely enamored with someone. Would be great if he could/would say, "This person was far and away without question who I felt was the best choice". Not it tells me he has/had strong reasons why he was considering NOT choosing the person he chooses.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grandma wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 am My worthless 2 cents. I am not happy he hasn't made an announcement yet. Reason being, it tells me he is not completely enamored with someone. Would be great if he could/would say, "This person was far and away without question who I felt was the best choice". Not it tells me he has/had strong reasons why he was considering NOT choosing the person he chooses.
When has there ever been a pick made so far before the convention? Just because the media is talking about it more doesn't mean he's taking longer.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

At this point the VP is inconsequential with regards to deciding who to vote for in November. As soon as that person is announced they become a target for the smear and a desperate plea to get voters to change their decision based upon "new, explosive" information.

Why give the trumpublicans more time to work on that?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 am My worthless 2 cents. I am not happy he hasn't made an announcement yet. Reason being, it tells me he is not completely enamored with someone. Would be great if he could/would say, "This person was far and away without question who I felt was the best choice". Not it tells me he has/had strong reasons why he was considering NOT choosing the person he chooses.
The VPs for the 2016 election were picked the 2nd and 3rd week of July.

The VP pick for Romney in 2012 wasn't until August 11th.

The VP picks for the 2008 election were made on August 23rd (for Obama) and August 29th (McCain).

This isnt weird or late. We're just hearing more about this one.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

japhy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am At this point the VP is inconsequential with regards to deciding who to vote for in November. As soon as that person is announced they become a target for the smear and a desperate plea to get voters to change their decision based upon "new, explosive" information.

A black woman on the ticket can help put some senate senate seats such as in Georgia in play. It's about turnout at this point. I think whatever puts more Senate seats on the cusp of flipping is what will be chosen.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am
japhy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:23 am At this point the VP is inconsequential with regards to deciding who to vote for in November. As soon as that person is announced they become a target for the smear and a desperate plea to get voters to change their decision based upon "new, explosive" information.

A black woman on the ticket can help put some senate senate seats such as in Georgia in play. It's about turnout at this point. I think whatever puts more Senate seats on the cusp of flipping is what will be chosen.
I don't buy that. Black people overwhelming chose a white person over black people in the primaries.
Deleted User 318

Mjl wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:37 pm
NiceDC wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:33 am

I don't buy that. Black people overwhelming chose a white person over black people in the primaries.
That's pragmatic voting. If given a choice, black folks often will choose a white person over a black person in the primaries, because they assume the white person is more likely to win against the other white person that doesn't always have black folks in mind.

But in a general election, they are going to still vote for the lesser of two evils, but also get excited to see someone that looks like them a heartbeat from the presidency.

There's a lot of evidence of this, so I won't link them here, but can dig them up if you like.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

You guys are talking past each other a little bit. There's no doubt that Biden will win the black vote by something like a 95/5 margin, regardless of his VP pick.

The crucial item, though, is turnout. Growing the pool of those voting so overwhelmingly in favor of Biden is the most obvious path to a landslide (which is what it might take to stay clear of bullshit).
Deleted User 318

I think MJL is saying having a black person on the bottom of the ticket wouldn't increase turnout. I don't think there was a miscommunication. But I think he might be telling himself that slightly because he's not a fan of the most likely pick of Kamala Harris.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

The vetting process is a very long, drawn out thing. It has to be. The Republicans didn't have time to properly vet Sarah Palin the way they wanted and eventually paid a big price.

Take your time, Joe.
Deleted User 318

chiknbut wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:15 pm The vetting process is a very long, drawn out thing. It has to be. The Republicans didn't have time to properly vet Sarah Palin the way they wanted and eventually paid a big price.

Take your time, Joe.
Per Twocoach, Palin was announced Aug 29. My guess is no one wanted to be steamrolled by Obama, so they grabbed some random mayor from Alaska because she was the only one willing to jump on the ticket.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:18 pm
chiknbut wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:15 pm The vetting process is a very long, drawn out thing. It has to be. The Republicans didn't have time to properly vet Sarah Palin the way they wanted and eventually paid a big price.

Take your time, Joe.
Per Twocoach, Palin was announced Aug 29. My guess is no one wanted to be steamrolled by Obama, so they grabbed some random mayor from Alaska because she was the only one willing to jump on the ticket.
Read or watch "Game Change" if you really want to learn about Sarah Palin. She may have been the only one willing to jump into the mix, but they also saw her as a shining star in need of a little bit of polishing.
Deleted User 318

Thanks for the rec! I'll check it out.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:59 pm I think MJL is saying having a black person on the bottom of the ticket wouldn't increase turnout. I don't think there was a miscommunication. But I think he might be telling himself that slightly because he's not a fan of the most likely pick of Kamala Harris.
This is all accurate
Deleted User 318

Sounds like today or tomorrow we will know. If Biden wanted to play Trump's game, he would wait for Trump to approach the podium for his daily COVID rally, and release the info via press release at that moment. Would rock Trump.
Deleted User 318

K. Harris it is. I like her, and am excited to see her on the ticket.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

I was more of a fan of Tammy Duckworth, but I'll gladly keep her as my US Senator.