Foreign election interference

Ugh.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Foreign election interference

Post by TDub »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:19 am
TDub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:16 am either way, politicians involving themselves in foreign investments whole serving seems like a bad idea. Nefarious or benign.
Boy, let me tell you about this Trump family.

Right. I've heard, ad nauseam, here. Which, is why, I would guess you guys wouldn't want to support it in any way.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:27 am I do love how Benghazi is being brought up again due to Susan Rice rumblings. I don't think rank and file GOP base even remember what actually happened (if they ever knew). Was reading the comments on a story about it, and someone was talking about how we shouldn't forget the hundreds that died in Benghazi.
I saw a very good tweet the other day to the effect of, "In an alternate universe, we'd be three weeks into criminal proceedings against an impeached-and-removed President over the Covid-19 deaths of 2,273 Americans."
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

I might be dumb, but what does the 2,273 number signify, or was it just if half our legislators acted in better faith, we could've nipped it in the bud back in March/April?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:44 am I might be dumb, but what does the 2,273 number signify, or was it just if half our legislators acted in better faith, we could've nipped it in the bud back in March/April?
(The alternate universe part has to do with 2016 results.)
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:10 am It smacks to me of the usual false equivalencies and whataboutism.
What CNN reported this morning was that China (and Iran) were running disinformation campaigns and trying to hack into campaign websites (in an effort to help Biden).....and that russia was doing the same, but in an effort to help trump.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:45 am
NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:44 am I might be dumb, but what does the 2,273 number signify, or was it just if half our legislators acted in better faith, we could've nipped it in the bud back in March/April?
(The alternate universe part has to do with 2016 results.)
*smacks forehead* Gotcha. Yeah, President H. Clinton would be on her third impeachment for sure.
Deleted User 318

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:46 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:10 am It smacks to me of the usual false equivalencies and whataboutism.
What CNN reported this morning was that China (and Iran) were running disinformation campaigns and trying to hack into campaign websites (in an effort to help Biden).....and that russia was doing the same, but in an effort to help trump.
I'm just wondering what sort of disinformation could be injected into the US conscience that actually would be worse than the truth.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What CNN reported this morning was that China (and Iran) were running disinformation campaigns and trying to hack into campaign websites (in an effort to help Biden).
As I've said here, I will be highly skeptical of reports in that nature, and want to know with specificity where they come from. It is absolutely the case that one of the most obvious tools that can be deployed here is to create the impression of widespread interference and fraud (such that an adverse result simply cannot be legitimate).
Deleted User 310

NiceDC wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 am
I'm just wondering what sort of disinformation could be injected into the US conscience that actually would be worse than the truth.
🤣🤣🤣

Funny and true.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:51 am
What CNN reported this morning was that China (and Iran) were running disinformation campaigns and trying to hack into campaign websites (in an effort to help Biden).
As I've said here, I will be highly skeptical of reports in that nature, and want to know with specificity where they come from. It is absolutely the case that one of the most obvious tools that can be deployed here is to create the impression of widespread interference and fraud (such that an adverse result simply cannot be legitimate).
Of course your skeptical. But you believe the russia fraud instantly

A microcosm of our country.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 318

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 am

I mean, GOP senate confirmed Russian interference several times over.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Ridiculous, yes.

Not establishing collusion (as a legal matter) does not refute the overwhelming evidence of interference in Trump's favor.
Deleted User 310

I think there should be differentiation between interference such as attempts at changing votes/sabotaging voting systems and things such as disinformation campaings since those are very different types of interference imo.

Hell a large portion of our own citizens spread disinformation on the daily via social media...and to a much lesser extent portions of our media.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But where the disinformation is seeded by a foreign actor (which is what happened)...

You don't need to manipulate voting systems if you can manipulate votes.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 am But where the disinformation is seeded by a foreign actor (which is what happened)...

And you are skeptical of China doing that? Seems highly believable they would want to influence voters due to the unpredictable nature of dealing with trump.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Im inclined to believe both are true.

Im inclines to believe foreign nations have attempted to interfere with elections since the beginning of time. Im sure that we do the same.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:35 am Im inclined to believe both are true.

Im inclines to believe foreign nations have attempted to interfere with elections since the beginning of time. Im sure that we do the same.
I feel the same... and based on our history i feel pretty confident we do the same, or worse....even if many times i think it is justified.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:34 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:26 am But where the disinformation is seeded by a foreign actor (which is what happened)...

And you are skeptical of China doing that? Seems highly believable they would want to influence voters due to the unpredictable nature of dealing with trump.
On the other hand, another four years of Trump might just break the US. If it hasn’t already.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:56 am

Trump has a history of shady dealings with Russia dating back to the mid to late 1980s so there a bit more to support those claims.

Have Iran and China been bailing Biden out of financial holes for the last 30+ years and I didnt know about it?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

This isnt about whose worse. Its about it being bad in general and not supporting bad after dismantling trump for it. As ive stated 47 times now.
Just Ledoux it