sorry, that was pretty long winded. So here's a more concise thought:
TDub wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:55 am
not everything is value as in breakdown of pennies

yeah, but do the capitalists know that?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Strikes

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Speaking of fast food workers. A few ways I look at this.
1> This is what McDonalds is forced/chooses to hire these days.
2> At least these girls are willing to work and have a job.
3> We live in a country where too many people have more anger & hate than love in their hearts and minds.

https://twitter.com/SomaKazima/status/1 ... 8716295168
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

1> McDonald's isn't "forced" to hire anyone. They choose to hire these sorts of folks, because they choose to treat these positions, as TDub articulated so eloquently for us, as "entry level" "low level" "transitory" "can be replaced"...and then when the employees treat the positions as low level and can be replaced, we're supposed to be surprised?

(not to mention all sorts of other systemic factors, like access to education, access to transportation, the justice system and how criminal records affect employability, etc)

2> I think damn near everyone able to work is "willing" to work. Human beings get a sense of reward from effort and accomplishment. What I think rubs folks the wrong way is not simply working, but being exploited. if you were expected to sling hundreds of burritos or orange sodas or whatever in sweat shop conditions, and still struggle to afford rent, food, basic necessities, you'd eventually be rubbed the wrong way about it too.

3> is it possible to view this anger and hate through some lens of classism? Why is it that these "low level" workers seem disproportionately the target of this sort of drama? How much harassment would you be willing to put up with in an "entry level" "transitory" position? If it won't be treated as a "career" position, then why should you have to act like your career depends on it? When was the last time you saw someone yelling and screaming outside the door of a hedge fund office?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

re: that last question

remember Occupy Wall Street?

lulz
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I predict that entire episode was staged. for the “likes.”

nobody acts like that.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

it worked. They entertained the $#!t out of me.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

this is what you get when you start everyone out at 18 bucks an hour. a spoiled, lazy, entitled, unqualified workforce.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yes, cuz paying people better yields a more "unqualified workforce."

Mich logic to the rescue!

and speaking of spoiled, lazy, and entitled - the sooner you realize "hard work" is not how most people get rich, the sooner we can start the revolution.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

was there any person in that video that is not spoiled, lazy, entitled and unqualified?

I didn’t think so.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the one guy at least seemed to be working the camera pretty good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i just road an old 1880s train last week

quite the experience, and rather insulated from such things
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sounds cool. Was it coal powered or what?

that article headline is kinda funny tho.

of all the concerns surrounding a potential railroad strike, NPR bills the issue as potentially interfering with yall's travel plans.

and how come these sorts of articles always start out by painting the strikers as "angry" and "pissed off," rather than first mentioning something like "railroad company enjoying billions in record profits once again being assholes instead of letting their workers have a weekend"
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

https://www.1880train.com/

i’m not a huge train person, but have wanted to do this trip for quite some time…it’s hella touristy (no surprise), but was still a cool experience

we sat in a middle car on the outbound trip and then right behind the engine on the return
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:58 am https://www.1880train.com/

i’m not a huge train person, but have wanted to do this trip for quite some time…it’s hella touristy (no surprise), but was still a cool experience

we sat in a middle car on the outbound trip and then right behind the engine on the return
We've done that before. It was a nice chance to rest and relax and get off our feet for a bit after a long day of activities.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

fuckin joe…doing presidential things

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... ether/amp/
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I know I'm getting tired of Uncle Joe winning all the time.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

So. Much. Winning.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

when uncle joe wins, we win. just ask my gas prices. and my grocery bill. and my 401k. and my worker shortage. and my not being able to buy a new car. and my crime is out of control.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Hey, look on the brightside, at least you've got all the fresh crisp refreshing water your heart desires!

❤️