Strikes

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Strikes

Post by ousdahl »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

but, pragmatism [often] actually gets things done
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:40 pm Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
That, or, some people say it's self-defeating to let the perfect be the enemy of the good, the possible.

https://flic.kr/p/2oGzSSX

As the AOC's of the world transition into the power holders and the demographics of the electorate continue changing for the better, you'll be even more able to make the changes you want. As long as you show up and republicans haven't made voting completely irrelevant before then. Not doing what's possible in the meantime only increases the threat that your vote won't matter by the time you wise up.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

uhhh

or, it could be that the more self-defeating thing is to complacently sit back and expect this change you speak of to be accomplished thru electoral politics.

History may suggest otherwise...tho I'll have to check the memes to confirm.

also, AOC lulz
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:50 pm uhhh

or, it could be that the more self-defeating thing is to complacently sit back and expect this change you speak of to be accomplished thru electoral politics.

History may suggest otherwise...tho I'll have to check the memes to confirm.

also, AOC lulz
Thanks for reminding me not to waste my time.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh come on…if politicians took care of workers, this thread wouldn’t even need to exist.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Come on down, SAG-AFTRA.

First time actors and writers both on strike at the same time since the 60s
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“The endgame is to allow things to drag on until union members start losing their apartments and losing their houses,”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... apartments
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also, a big part of the negotiations is the issue of AI...

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/ ... 234788191/
The reported proposal hinged on the ability for background actors to be “scanned, get paid for one day’s pay” and for that company to “own that scan of their image, their likeness, and to be able to use it for the rest of eternity in any project they want with no consent and no compensation."
The idea that studios could pay an actor less than $200 and own that person’s image forever to use in any project at any time is terrifying, several actors tell Rolling Stone, particularly when it comes to not knowing what your image is being used for.

“There’s been a lot of conversation about consent on set — AI is just another way to get around consent from actors, particularly actors assigned female at birth,” one New York-based background actor says. “If for some reason they use my face and they put me in a situation that I did not consent to, that is very troubling.”

The practice could potentially restrict how much someone can work, McCann points out. If an actor does background work for a specific company, there’s a good chance for that company to draw from its AI database and use that previously filmed footage or scanned data for another show instead of hiring that actor again — even if it’s years later. “My career has ended before it’s even started,” he says. “It is taking any sort of agency and power we have as performers and saying, ‘Well, it’s not worth anything.’”

Limiting roles and opportunities for background actors would also do untold damage to other production departments, such as costume, hair and makeup, and assistant positions, as big projects often have whole teams solely dedicated to overseeing and handling background roles.
(oh, and PS, the execs are making like 9 figures a year)
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hollywood is going to have a very difficult time garnering any sort of sympathy for their cause outside of hollywood.

there is so much content out there. I can go years without anything new.

california can fall into the ocean for all I care.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Teamsters president says he’s asked the White House not to intervene if UPS workers go on strike

https://apnews.com/article/ups-strike-t ... d6290ac8ea
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Bil Nye the Union guy

Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

UPS and the Teamsters Union reached a settlement, averting a strike.

Thanks, Joe
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:16 pm UPS and the Teamsters Union reached a settlement, averting a strike.

Thanks, organized workers
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:19 am
Feral wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:16 pm UPS and the Teamsters Union reached a settlement, averting a strike.

Thanks, free and democratic society
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

No thanks Fox News
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Come on down, UAW
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

funny to compare public and media reactions to auto-workers vs. actors/writers striking
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

the uaw demands are pretty absurd. i hope the companies break them.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"