Strikes

Ugh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Re: Strikes

Post by DCHawk1 »

"Welcome Back, Carter" continues to draw viewers...
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

bill maher is bringing his show back without his writers. if anybody can do it on the fly, he can. i love his show.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Well paid workers pay your salary, Mich. Typically these things turn into "they are making more than I do" fests to pit the poor and rubes against each other.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

I miss having the existence a non-populist party.

https://x.com/HawleyMO/status/1702661488735908011?s=20

(It's Josh Hawley being Josh Hawley)
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I don't love CNN's Michael Smerconish that much, but I'm a huge fan of Scott Galloway, "Prof G", whose part begins at ~ 3:25. But you should watch the intro too, for perspective. Prof G makes some very valid points about unions, strikes, the relatively dismal state that labor, i.e., lower and middle class Americans find themselves today, and he proposes a rather shocking, to me, solution.

(If you don't agree, you always sue me.)

Scott Galloway, marketing professor at NYU Stern School of Business, joins CNN’s Michael Smerconish to discuss the surge in union strikes and the support these receive from the public.
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Elon “free speech” Musk removes the UAW’s twitter verification
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

It's so difficult to decide which of the two major political parties supports workers more. If only there was a tell.

Or, Today In: "Small government", "Limited government", "Let business be business", "Free market", "Free enterprise", "A government so small you can drown it in a bathtub", "conservative", republicanism:

“I think Ronald Reagan gave us a great example when federal employees decided they were gonna strike … You strike, you're fired. Simple concept to me.”

— Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC), when asked if he would insert himself into the issue of the United Auto Workers strike
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Howsabout a little love for Biden being the first ever potus to join a picket line
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:38 pm Howsabout a little love for Biden being the first ever potus to join a picket line
"Love"?

I'll never be able to forget that time about 17 years ago when Biden went grocery shopping at a non-unionized Piggly Wiggly in Akron, when he could have gone shopping at a unionized Kroger in Montrose that was only ~ 12.5 miles away. Ever since then, I've haven't taken a single word he's said about being "pro-worker", or "pro-union, seriously.
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:44 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:38 pm Howsabout a little love for Biden being the first ever potus to join a picket line
"Love"?

I'll never be able to forget that time about 17 years ago when Biden went grocery shopping at a non-unionized Piggly Wiggly in Akron, when he could have gone shopping at a unionized Kroger in Montrose that was only ~ 12.5 miles away. Ever since then, I've haven't taken a single word he's said about being "pro-worker", or "pro-union, seriously.
I know this is tongue in cheek, but FWIW, many Krogers, including the one I shop at, are unionized. 2/3 in fact.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

He's mostly responsible for the conditions that provoked the strike, so...why not?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea, Shirley’s prob right.

Thought I meant it (or at least wanna mean it) as sincere credit, I too have this awful feeling it’s just another hollow performative gesture; just something he can use as a talking point on the campaign trail, even tho he’s really prob about to turn around and like sign another law to make strikes illegal again or something.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The conditions of wage and GNP improvement are a Biden win
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What Bernie thinks: Today, for the first time in American history, a President stood on a picket line defending American workers. That’s a big deal.

In taking on the corporate greed of the auto industry, the UAW is fighting for every American worker. They’re fighting for us. Let’s stand with them
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

"Let me be blunt: ( UAW VP for GM Jamie L LaReau) Coming to Michigan to speak at a nonunion employer and pretending it has anything to do with our fight at the Big Three is just more verbal diarrhea from the former president."

Last edited by Shirley on Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

"verbal diarrhea"...pretty damn accurate.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Shirley wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:24 pm "Let me be blunt: ( UAW VP for GM Jamie L LaReau) Coming to Michigan to speak at a nonunion employer and pretending it has anything to do with our fight at the Big Three is just more verbal diarrhea from the former president."

You may think it's very funny but it's really red and runny.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Kaiser Permanente, come on down…

i’m sure this one is Joe’s fault, too
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

If the governor of California can order a pay raise for fast food workers, then why can’t he do the same for Kaiser or SAG, UAW,employees?. (Although there are other issues beside pay raises.) It seems a little odd.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan