Strikes

Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: Strikes

Post by KUTradition »

i’ll just assume that’s not a serious question
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

We’ll just assume that no one has the answer.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think dolomite has a point.

Why should politicians be the ones to decide these things for workers?

We should just let the workers decide these things.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

so you aren’t in favor of legislation raising wages when the free market fails to do so?

interesting
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

and i’d imagine the fact that the kaiser strikes are in numerous states and involve something like eight different unions, just might make it a bit difficult for any single entity (other than kaiser) to fix
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:54 pm so you aren’t in favor of legislation raising wages when the free market fails to do so?

interesting
yea, I am in favor of raising wages. at least while we still have to put up with things like "free markets." That's to say, I'm in favor of raising wages pretty much however we can. at least while we still have to put up with things like wages.

I was more so alluding to just letting the workers control the memes of production. You know, bring something more democratic to economic decisions, like we value with political decisions.

speaking of, I saw one about how that one ogre wears a hoodie to the senate floor one time and within like 4 days they manage to all get together and pass a dress code legislation just like that; yet when it comes to raising the minimum wage, they just don't have the time or whatever.

and another yet, sorta thought provoking: "Who will be the John Brown of wage slavery?"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve also seen this take that the best thing that could happen to the frightening perspective thread (among other threads) , and the nation and world at large, would be a well-organized general strike.

Let’s bring the economy to its knees, and let evil rich people know who really makes things happen.

But, yea, the rub is “well-organized,” and doing it in a way meant to specifically enough counter the frightening perspective thread…and doing it in a way that doesn’t starve so many of the workers who are already living paycheck to paycheck (speaking of wage slaves…)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:25 pm
KUTradition wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:54 pm so you aren’t in favor of legislation raising wages when the free market fails to do so?

interesting
yea, I am in favor of raising wages. at least while we still have to put up with things like "free markets." That's to say, I'm in favor of raising wages pretty much however we can. at least while we still have to put up with things like wages.

I was more so alluding to just letting the workers control the memes of production. You know, bring something more democratic to economic decisions, like we value with political decisions.

speaking of, I saw one about how that one ogre wears a hoodie to the senate floor one time and within like 4 days they manage to all get together and pass a dress code legislation just like that; yet when it comes to raising the minimum wage, they just don't have the time or whatever.

and another yet, sorta thought provoking: "Who will be the John Brown of wage slavery?"
so then what point do you think dolo was trying to make?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno.

Something full Qusdahl
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you don’t know?

then why’d you say you thought he had a point?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Like I said dude, I was trying to suggest maybe if we give the say to workers then we eventually won’t even need things like politicians any more
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Damn