DNC

Ugh.
chiknbut

Re: DNC

Post by chiknbut »

Sorry, you haven't earned the right to ask me a direct question. Go away.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

This speech by Kamala... Really dull. Like, dreadfully bad. Biden's in 08 was wayyyy better (the "John McCain was wrong, Barack Obama was right" speech). She's supposed to be an attacker and didn't do a damn thing. Seemed neutered by advisors
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Obama was powerful tho
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I disagree. Both Obama and Kamala were great. And we had forgotten how much Biden has done for the country.

On the one hand we have the person who authored the Violence Against Women Act and a confessed genital-grabber on the other. That anyone thinks there’s even a choice says more about them.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

zsn wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 pm I disagree. Both Obama and Kamala were great. And we had forgotten how much Biden has done for the country.

On the one hand we have the person who authored the Violence Against Women Act and a confessed genital-grabber on the other. That anyone thinks there’s even a choice says more about them.
There is a choice, and 40% want the greater of two evils. Like seeking it out.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:06 am
zsn wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:47 pm I disagree. Both Obama and Kamala were great. And we had forgotten how much Biden has done for the country.

There is a choice, and 40% want the greater of two evils. Like seeking it out.
That's what concerns me the most these days, especially when you factor in the alleged family and religious values that many of those same 40% lament as missing, causing the decay of society around them.

Trump is on the Mt. Rushmore of shrines to the hypocrisy of the Religious Right.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I am much more concerned that somehow the best we could come up with was Trump/Clinton and now Trump/Biden.

It does neither side any good to be judgemental and condescending to the other side for what they choose and why the choose it. I know it is hard not to at times though. I also know it is easy and trendy to judge an entire segement by a much smaller group on the far right/far left...i have trouble with that at times myself...but i think many of us are a lot more alike than we are different. I dont/cant relate to the far right "no government other than army" people or the far left "government control nearly everything" people. I think a lot of us want similar things like affordable healthcare, quality education structures, and protecting the environment....as well as fair taxes, representation for all people, an economic policy that works/makes sense.....although i struggle to agree with either sides economic policies a lot of the time.

A lot of people are very dug in to their "side" no matter what and that is not good for any of us....and it may take decades to repair the damage we have done to ourselves in the last 20 years.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Obama is such an eloquent, thoughtful speaker. I thought he did great.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Come on shindig! Anyone who isn't an Obama fan will tell you he's an idiot who doesn't speak well without a written script/speech. Meanwhile, 90% of those people are not as smart as Obama nor as well "spoken" as he is.

I felt Obama's speech was outstanding. Kamala's not so much. Fairly low key and bland to me.
I know I could probably research it but I am wondering how many people have been watching the 2020 DNC compared to the 2016 DNC.
AND..... How many "undecided" voters will watch the DNC and then watch the RNC and actually decide to vote for Trump over Biden.
We live in a bizzaro country. There are literally millions of Americans who actually LOVE the fact that Donald Trump is our President. Let that sink in.
NOTHING surprises me anymore when it comes to politics - and the people who live in this country.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Saw an interesting post this morning. I had to revise it to match current numbers.

You would have to have three airplanes with 360 people on each of them crash with no survivors every single day from March 14th when things started shutting down until today to equal the official death to from COVID. Three a day. Every. Single. Day.

There wouldn't be people arguing over the ineffectiveness of airplane seat belts or the science of anything involved. The nation would be in a united outrage demanding answers as well as government intervention after THREE straight days of that, let alone 160 straight days.

The amount of unconscionable stupidity involved in trying to minimize what is going on is insane. When was the last time we had 173,000 people die from the flu in less than one year?
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I certainly agree with the second paragraph, but that's why I'm finding this convention infuriating. Other than the Obamas, who were fantastic, it has quite possibly been more harmful than helpful. Endless identity politics for one, and heavy influence from focus groups, and speeches like Kamala's full of high level platitudes and lacking actual substance and memorable, concise messages.

The DNC learned absolutely nothing from 4 years ago.

They also need to shut the hell up with $15 national minimum wage - they are going to lose blue collar workers in Wisconsin/Michigan/Pennsylvania with that. All they need to do is win those three states, and telling people that their hard work and union dues were unnecessary because everyone makes 15 an hour now is not the way to do that.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:37 am I am much more concerned that somehow the best we could come up with was Trump/Clinton and now Trump/Biden.
Blame GOP voters and The Democratic Party itself for 2016. The GOP voters wanted crazy in 2016, and the party cleared the field to give the nomination to Clinton.

Blame GOP party and Dem voters in 2020. GOP could pushed trump harder, and Dems wanted the most safe choice in 2020. Any other year a more inspired choice would be for Dems, but voters rallied around Biden because he was such a milquetoast option instead of a more impressive choice.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

blame all those that don’t vote in primaries

oh, and Jill Biden did a wonderful job, i thought
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Mjl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:38 am

I certainly agree with the second paragraph, but that's why I'm finding this convention infuriating. Other than the Obamas, who were fantastic, it has quite possibly been more harmful than helpful. Endless identity politics for one, and heavy influence from focus groups, and speeches like Kamala's full of high level platitudes and lacking actual substance and memorable, concise messages.

They also need to shut the hell up with $15 national minimum wage - they are going to lose blue collar workers in Wisconsin/Michigan/Pennsylvania with that. All they need to do is win those three states, and telling people that their hard work and union dues were unnecessary because everyone makes 15 an hour now is not the way to do that.
So you’re complaining about the side effects from the treatment of Doctor A who’s recommending prednisone for your illnesses (not without side effects!) while Doctor B is recommending that you drink bleach.

How’s this election even a choice? I’m sure there were a lot of people complaining that Jesus’ feet were wet when he walked on water.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

zsn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am

So you’re complaining about the side effects from the treatment of Doctor A who’s recommending prednisone for your illnesses (not without side effects!) while Doctor B is recommending that you drink bleach.

How’s this election even a choice? I’m sure there were a lot of people complaining that Jesus’ feet were wet when he walked on water.
I'm not doing that at all. I'm being realistic, not idealistic. You're acting as if there are no undecideds. I don't care if it's nuts to be undecided rn, but to not acknowledge that they exist is, again, the same mistake as 4 years ago.

The reality is there are undecideds, and the DNC should do whatever they can to make sure they don't vote for Trump, and my opinion is that they are not effectively doing that.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Regardless, I was lukewarm in my support for Biden. But the reminders during this week about his accomplishments have become a very staunch supporter FOR Biden, more than The Bag o’ Nails which would have received my support, running against Trump.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Biden could stand at the podium tonight and stare into the camera without saying a single word and I would cheer loudly...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

"Good evening. I'm Joe Binden and I'd like your vote for president of the United States of America. Good night, everyone."
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:55 pm
zsn wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am

I'm not doing that at all. I'm being realistic, not idealistic. You're acting as if there are no undecideds. I don't care if it's nuts to be undecided rn, but to not acknowledge that they exist is, again, the same mistake as 4 years ago.

The reality is there are undecideds, and the DNC should do whatever they can to make sure they don't vote for Trump, and my opinion is that they are not effectively doing that.
imo, it’s less about the undecideds than it is about the people that would normally just sit on the sideline and not exercise their right/duty to vote

some 70% of this country thinks we’re on the wrong track
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

"I am much more concerned that somehow the best we could come up with was Trump/Clinton and now Trump/Biden."

And yet, for the first time in my life as a voter (since 1980), I feel there is only one acceptable choice. The best interest of the country and its future versus a fucking disaster. It's never been more clear.