Sports Would You

Other Sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Sports Would You

Post by pdub »

Hypothetical.
All involving you individually putting in 10k which you won't get back. You win 1 million dollars if you do it.
Your teammates get 10k each if you do it. The opposing team gets 10k each if you don't.
You have all game to do so ( as long as you are healthy enough to continue ) and you won't be subbed.

Pick any ( or none ) of the scenarios.
You have to, for 1 million to your 10k:

A. Get a 1st down in 10 attempts in the NFL as a RB, WR or TE.
B. Score a goal in the MLS.
C. Make a field goal in 10 attempts in the NBA.
D. Get on base ( not as a pinch runner either ) in MLB.
PhDhawk

Re: Sports Would You

Post by PhDhawk »

C
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

C
A
D
B
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

C - The height difference would be wild, but it's the most likely.
D - Pitchers can be wild. I wouldn't swing my bat at all and hope he throws 4 wild ones.
B - Kick in the right spot and you have a chance. Just have to get to a close area first.
A - You'd get destroyed in all 10 attempts and get negative yards
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 pm C - The height difference would be wild, but it's the most likely.
There's a reasonable chance that in a 48 minute game you get a couple wide-open looks, maybe even near the basket on some broken play.
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 pmD - Pitchers can be wild. I wouldn't swing my bat at all and hope he throws 4 wild ones.
True, you just hope for a walk, or painfully a HBP. If you had to get a hit, this would be, by far the hardest one. Also, you only get 4-5 plate appearances in a typical game.
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:10 pmA - You'd get destroyed in all 10 attempts and get negative yards
So, how does this work? you get 10 carries throughout the game and one has to result in a first down? Or you have to have a 10 yard play? I think with an nfl-caliber offensive line, I could line up at RB and get a first down on a 3rd and 1 play given 10 attempts. It would be painful, but honestly if that's the case, probably most likely one to accomplish.

Oh, and fuck soccer with all the dicks.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

C i think is the easiest one, I agree, but the problem there is that the team would know you were trying to score so they'd put their best defender on you and shadow.

I think Cascadia is correct in order.
If you had 10 attempts, they'd just bring you in when it was like 2nd and 1, and you'd just hope and pray that hiding behind a line would get you those 3 feet ( and that you wouldn't die when tackled ). Otherwise, you'd probably sprinkle in a few WR routes since there probably won't be many 3rd and 1, 2nd and 2 kinda deals, though your chances of catching the ball are pretty damn slim.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:18 pm So, how does this work? you get 10 carries throughout the game and one has to result in a first down?
You get 10 attempts total - you decide during the game when you get to go in and at what position.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And the people who are ordering them, does that mean you're gonna take all 4 bets and lay down 40k to try all 4?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:23 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:18 pm So, how does this work? you get 10 carries throughout the game and one has to result in a first down?
You get 10 attempts total - you decide during the game when you get to go in and at what position.
Fine, I play running back on every 2nd, 3rd, or 4th and short.

If Tom Brady can do it, I can do it.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, I think A is doable, but not easy ( don't fumble the handoff ), and obviously the most likely you'd be out of the game with an injury before even getting all your attempts.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:21 pm If you had 10 attempts, they'd just bring you in when it was like 2nd and 1, and you'd just hope and pray that hiding behind a line would get you those 3 feet ( and that you wouldn't die when tackled ).
The fuck is this kind of workaround? You should say 10 attempts to get 10 yards. I can obviously get a yard at one time. But you won't get 10 yards in 10 attempts either running or catching the ball.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

shindig

Post by shindig »

C, then A. I would love to say A, but, yeah, probably after the first hit by a linebacker, I would be done for and may never walk again.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm If Tom Brady can do it, I can do it.
Hate to say it. Tom Brady is more athletic than 80% of this world. You are not in that 20%. No way.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:39 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm If Tom Brady can do it, I can do it.
Hate to say it. Tom Brady is more athletic than 80% of this world. You are not in that 20%. No way.
Do you know how percentages work...there's a 20% chance that I'm in that 20%.

I'm significantly bigger and stronger than Tom Brady. It's not even close. I'm sure he's better conditioned than I am. But I'm better suited to gaining 1 yard than Tom Brady, by a wide margin.

I just looked, his 40 time at the combine was 5.3 and his vert was 24.5....he's not athletic.

And I'd crush his wonderlic score too.

If there's a pro sport I would come close to fitting in athletically it's the NFL. I'd be completely outclassed on an NBA court, but I can shoot the lights out.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I feel like C is the only answer if you're not (at present) at least a college-level athlete.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:24 pm And the people who are ordering them, does that mean you're gonna take all 4 bets and lay down 40k to try all 4?
I’d do all but B. That’s without question the hardest of the 4. Not that any of them are easy.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Most professional soccer players don't score a goal in most games, so that one seems unlikely. I only know this because most games end 1 to nil (they use nil instead of zero, so that you don't confuse it with an actual sport).

I'm not sure I could even lay down a bunt against an MLB pitcher, let alone get a hit, so that's just standing at the plate hoping you get walked.

I'm pretty sure I could line up at FB and gain 1 yard behind an NFL offensive line. My only hesitation is getting my bell rung.

Basketball, is a 48 minute game, assuming they play you honest and don't face-guard you the entire time, there's a reasonable chance you get a loose ball near the hoop and make an easy one, or the defense breaks down and you have a couple wide open jump shots.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:38 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:21 pm If you had 10 attempts, they'd just bring you in when it was like 2nd and 1, and you'd just hope and pray that hiding behind a line would get you those 3 feet ( and that you wouldn't die when tackled ).
The fuck is this kind of workaround? You should say 10 attempts to get 10 yards. I can obviously get a yard at one time. But you won't get 10 yards in 10 attempts either running or catching the ball.
If it was 10 attempts to get 10 yards I think it might be harder then getting on base.
Notice I didn't say you could play QB so no direct snap/QB sneaks - you need to get the ball from a hand off - AND if it's 2nd/3rd and short, and you're in, the entire defense knows what's coming, and each have a $10k incentive to crush you.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:38 pm
If it was 10 attempts to get 10 yards I think it might be harder then getting on base.
Notice I didn't say you could play QB so no direct snap/QB sneaks - you need to get the ball from a hand off - AND if it's 2nd/3rd and short, and you're in, the entire defense knows what's coming, and each have a $10k incentive to crush you.
I think football is last if you have 10 attempts to get 10 yards.