Sports Would You

Other Sports.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Sports Would You

Post by pdub »

Soccer is toughest I think for most.
I'm guessing a lot of people on here don't know how to actually shoot a soccer ball ( with your laces ).
You could pray someone got fouled in the penalty box and you got to step in to take the kick - though I doubt most here could score on a professional goalkeeper even from only 12 yards away.
With football, if you have to gain 10 yards in 10 tries, I might try my hand at WR rather than RB because I eliminate the risk of getting negative yards and screwing me over from the start and if I get to pick the team, I pick the Chiefs, and maybe Mahomes can scramble around until I somehow get an opening.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

the only one I think I could do is D. I'd just do a bunch of roids, and that's all it really takes to be good at baseball.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yep. Dont need incredible hand eye coordination or timing or vision or nothing
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

C or A
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:39 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm If Tom Brady can do it, I can do it.
Hate to say it. Tom Brady is more athletic than 80% of this world. You are not in that 20%. No way.

I just looked, his 40 time at the combine was 5.3 and his vert was 24.5....he's not athletic.

Thats pathetic
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 pm the only one I think I could do is D. I'd just do a bunch of roids, and that's all it really takes to be good at baseball.
Pretty sure PEDs were, are, and continue to be much, much more prevalent in football.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd bet 95% of us posting on this message board can't run a sub 5.3 right now though.
And your numbers in high school ( I thought I was super fast too! ) are all very inflated ( stop watch inconsistencies ).
But yea, not great for a professional football player.

https://www.outkick.com/reality-you-can ... ty-022414/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 am I'd bet 95% of us posting on this message board can't run a sub 5.3 right now though.
And your numbers in high school ( I thought I was super fast too! ) are all very inflated ( stop watch inconsistencies ).
But yea, not great for a professional football player.
I’ll take the over on 95%.

There’s a lot of stupid in this thread.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I can't run a 5.3 today. I'm slow as shit.

But...I've spent the past 23 years lifting the heaviest weights I could and trying to be as strong as I can. I'm in the 99th percentile of strength for males in any age group. I'm pretty sure I can convert a 3rd and 1 given 10 attempts.

I couldn't even foul tip a major league pitcher, even if he threw 85 mph fastballs straight over the plate.

I couldn't score a goal in a youth soccer game. (and I wouldn't want to, soccer sucks).

The only thing I can still do with any level of proficiency on a basketball court is shoot, so I think I have a chance of going 1 for 10 if I play the entire game and use wise shot selection. I probably wouldn't even cross half court to play defense, because my team would probably do better with 4 guys. I'd probably have more than double digit TOs, I'm sure close to half my shot attempts would get blocked, even though I thought I was wide open. I'm not pretending I'd look good out there, or they'd ask me to try out. I would be humiliatingly bad...but I might go 1 for 10.

I understand the difference between a pro athlete and everyone else. But the question wasn't about how would the average Joe do, it was about me personally. And the parameters were pretty specific, and there are clear strategies you can use to maximize your chances.

I could gain positive yardage in an NFL game. I can make an open jump shot. For the opportunity to convert $10k into a million, I'd for sure do it. It's a smart play if you think you have better than 1% chance of doing it.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

C is the only reasonable option.

If you are sub 5.3 today, and you have to carry the ball ten times, the odds are incredibly against you ending up with 10+ yards.

Put it this way - there's some jacked kickers. Put them in the backfield. Are they at 10+ yards after 10 carries? Friend, they are not.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

To be fair, the parameters do not say 10+ yards in 10 attempts.

It’s a first down on 10 attempts. So, you could potentially have 10 attempts on a 2nd, 3rd or 4th down to gain as little as 1” for a first down
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:13 am C is the only reasonable option.

If you are sub 5.3 today, and you have to carry the ball ten times, the odds are incredibly against you ending up with 10+ yards.

Put it this way - there's some jacked kickers. Put them in the backfield. Are they at 10+ yards after 10 carries? Friend, they are not.
It really depends on the situation. I played RB in grade school and middle school before moving to WR in high school. If the line is decent, and the defense isn't shoving 7 in the box, you can easily get 2-3 yards if you know how to hit the hole properly. I was a fullback, so my goal was to run as fast and hard in a hole, and usually I could bounce off one person, before getting taken down by the second and third defenders. My assumption is it's not a goaline situation where they are just packing it in. If it is goalline, then no way.

If it's just normal 3-4 defense that's also defending the pass, I think it's doable, as long as you don't need to absolutely hold onto the ball. If that's the case, then no way. Also, if you have to touch the ball in 10 straight possessions, no way as well. You are going to get rung the first time, and you are going to need a few plays before going again (as a weekend warrior player, not NFL player).

As a receiver, there's zero way you are going to catch a ball. I played flag football in grad school against former college players. I never caught a ball on them, even though I was a receiver in high school, and we played "lesser teams," I was able to play somewhat competently. They read my routes and the QBs, and either knocked down the ball or intercepted anything we sent downfield. We had to resort to passing out to the flats or sweeps, and it was not pretty either, but at least it wasn't intercepted.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:13 am C is the only reasonable option.

That's not the challenge.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The scenario is can you gain a 1st down.
You have 10 attempts to do so in the flow of the game.
The opposing team EACH gets 10k if you don't do it so, basically, yes, every situation ( if you're going with the only take my chances on 2nd, 3rd and short ) is kind of a goalline stand b/c they see you subbing in at RB and they can assume you are running it ( otherwise, why are you subbing yourself in ).

You cannot direct snap. You have to take a handoff.
( or you play wideout and try to catch the ball ).

If it was gaining 10 yards on 10 plays, i'd say it was tougher or at least as tough as getting on base - both would be really difficult ( and would rely on some luck ).

I still think going 1-10 in a basketball game is the easier of them b/c any situation with short yardage, the defense can plan against you, and you are going to get jacked if they reach you ( and say you get the 1st down yardage, you still have to go down and not get rung up or stripped to where the ball goes lose).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:39 am The scenario is can you gain a 1st down.
You have 10 attempts to do so in the flow of the game.
The opposing team EACH gets 10k if you don't do it so, basically, yes, every situation ( if you're going with the only take my chances on 2nd, 3rd and short ) is kind of a goalline stand b/c they see you subbing in at RB and they can assume you are running it ( otherwise, why are you subbing yourself in ).

You cannot direct snap. You have to take a handoff.
See that is the entire problem. The scenario is shit. Absolute shit. You explained it horribly to begin with, and then backed it up with some non-logical bullshit.

Most everyone on here could probably put their head down and gain an inch on 2nd and inches. That makes the challenge so much easier than the other ones listed. To make it more of an even game, make it 10 attempts to get 10 yards. But even then, football is last.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"A. Get a 1st down in 10 attempts in the NFL as a RB, WR or TE."
I mean....I explained it well enough, no?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Most everyone on here could probably put their head down and gain an inch on 2nd and inches."

1st, that scenario has to happen in the game for you.
2nd, now it's 2nd and inches, and you've used a couple attempts and failed. The defense sees you coming in. It's not going to be easy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I bet 90% of the people on here read it as I stated. 10 attempts to get 10 yards. Not can you get a first down when the ball is inches away from the first down line.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I would have said gain 10 total yards on 10 attempts.
Or I would have said have one 10+ yard play in 10 attempts ( that sure as hell ain't happening ).
And in that case, it'd be as tough as D for me, and I don't know if I'd try it.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:49 am I bet 90% of the people on here read it as I stated. 10 attempts to get 10 yards. Not can you get a first down when the ball is inches away from the first down line.
How I read it. This whole thread is lame.