Ugh.
Leawood

Mail-In Ballots

Post by Leawood »

I applied for mine. Do it early.
Deleted User 318

Re: Mail-In Ballots

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Drop them off in drop boxes if available in your state too. Not only ensure vote should be counted, it’s less stress for post office for other voters that cannot drop off.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'll be able to vote in person, quickly and safely. That's my plan.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Personally i like voting by mail.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 am I'll be able to vote in person, quickly and safely. That's my plan.
Our state allows early voting for 30 days prior to the general election so I will be voting in-person early. I should be able to get in and out of there pretty quickly. We do also have drop boxes where we could drop off a mail in ballot and I think that is what my wife is planning to use.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 am Personally i like voting by mail.
I'm the opposite. My voting place takes no longer than 5 minutes tops to be in and out. I go after work towards end of day instead of early in morning.

But I don't fault those who like doing by mail, or early voting for that matter. Don't suppress the ability to vote no matter how the vote happens.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:36 am I'll be able to vote in person, quickly and safely. That's my plan.
Our state allows early voting for 30 days prior to the general election so I will be voting in-person early. I should be able to get in and out of there pretty quickly. We do also have drop boxes where we could drop off a mail in ballot and I think that is what my wife is planning to use.
I like the idea of my vote counting for election night returns (which shouldn't be determinative, of course, but such is the world we've created).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:52 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:06 am
I like the idea of my vote counting for election night returns (which shouldn't be determinative, of course, but such is the world we've created).
According to the website for my area:

"Accepted early voting ballots can begin to be counted the Monday prior to Election Day.These ballots are part of the first sets of results after the closing of the polls on Election Night."
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

election day should be a national holiday
Deleted User 318

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:58 am election day should be a national holiday
By all account, it will be in 2022. Issue is, there are lots of holidays are when low-paid workers are required to work. Early voting needs to be expanded, and maybe Friday before Tuesday polls are required to be opened.
Deleted User 89

NiceDC wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:01 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:58 am election day should be a national holiday
By all account, it will be in 2022. Issue is, there are lots of holidays are when low-paid workers are required to work. Early voting needs to be expanded, and maybe Friday before Tuesday polls are required to be opened.
i almost added a bit about the low-wage workers

but, a number of them get at least partial days off for things like christmas and new years

and i absolutely agree that access needs to be expanded across the board

pessimist me says that there is a certain party, though, that really doesn’t want everyone to vote
Deleted User 89

and no more of the bs like what happened in Garden City, KS, where the polling places within the city limits were closed, making it near impossible for anyone that relied on public transit to make it to the open polling places to vote
Deleted User 318

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 am but, a number of them get at least partial days off for things like christmas and new years
Then that's up to the employer. They can require you to work all of the poll hours on a holiday if they like. I do think it should be a holiday, but expanded voting days reduces the stress on election day, and if you can just drop your ballot off, that would be best. Then, for everyone who waits the last moment, should have some sort of ability on that Tuesday.

I know the state I vote in we get two hours, paid, to go vote. It needs to be conveyed like 10 days before that we intend to use, but I don't think employers can say much about it. Our polls are open like 6 am to 9 pm tho, so places like Kentucky, where polls close at like 6pm, it can cause some issues.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Been voting by mail for a while. I think San Mateo County (adjoining) ours is entirely mail only. For all practical purpose ours is as well. Except for local races and State ballot propositions none of the election results are close! They setup drive up drops at light rail parking lots the two weekends ahead of the election Tuesday. That’s what we do. These get counted and are the first results reported on election night (as others have said). All good!
Deleted User 89

i think they are setting up drive thru drop spots here as well...such a good idea
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We have been using absentee ballots for several years. In Platte County, MO it is easy and fast. You just walk in the door of Board of Elections in a strip mall on a Saturday and say, "I want to vote now" and they give you a ballot. You show an ID and vote. There is no line.

I haven't had to vote in KCMO Jackson County for years, I assume they have created more hurdles than we have in an R district.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

bump