Ugh.
ousdahl

Loosers and Suckers

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko
Contributor

Re: Loosers and Suckers

Post by Sparko »

It was never hidden, but deeper than we thought, his disdain for the country. Evil is tough to define because the Miltonian concept of spite for spite's sake seemed so nonsensical. Yet here it is unloosed revising Belleau Woods and disfigured combat veterans. There is no depth he will not descend to; he is as worthless as he is evil. Bottomless worthlessness.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Who are these aides and why aren't they named?

I don't doubt it could be true (especially the part about McCain, since he said some pretty rude/hateful things publicly too), but i hate these kind of articles where a lot of it is from anonymous sources...just feels like making that a habit of how "news" is reported can result in a lot of lies.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There are multiple military sources--who can't speak on record--and others named in separate reporting.
Deleted User 310

Sparko wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:48 pm There are multiple military sources--who can't speak on record--and others named in separate reporting.
I was talking more about the "aides" who were "quoted" at the beginning.

It is always "according to sources who spoke with several people who had first hand knowledge...". Just feels like this becoming the norm in negative reporting opens a big window for lies. Especially in this article when some of the few direct quotes are from people who were in those "meetings" and say these quotes aren't true.

Not so much with trump, because he does enough dumb shit on his own that people shouldn't need to lie, but for future presidents or people in power this becomes a fine line to walk... i can only imagine the fox articles that will (and already do) quote anonymous sources. It feels sketchy to me. Not necessarily this article in particular since a lot of it is totally believable because trump is a douche bag, but just in general.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Well I believe Kelly himself was a source and others who still work for him. Remind me of a leak that didn't turn out to be true anyway. But this is backed by his on-record speeches and prenuptial agreements for his children--and wills and trusts, He hates military service. His grandfather left Germany to avoid service. They wouldn't take him back either. And remember: this happened on TV. He skipped the Belleau Woods cemetery and lied about the reasons several ways at the time.

This is illustrative:
On Thursday, The Daily Beast reported that Joanne Rogers, the widow of Presbyterian minister and children’s television personality Mr. Rogers, unloaded furiously on President Donald Trump as he paid a visit to their hometown of Latrobe, Pennsylvania.

“I think he’s just a horrible person,” said Rogers. She added that if the president is re-elected in November, “I will probably go into mourning. I can’t even imagine. I would feel so badly.”
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:46 pm
Who are these aides and why aren't they named?

I don't doubt it could be true (especially the part about McCain, since he said some pretty rude/hateful things publicly too), but i hate these kind of articles where a lot of it is from anonymous sources...just feels like making that a habit of how "news" is reported can result in a lot of lies.
https://twitter.com/jimlaporta/status/1 ... 70978?s=21

https://twitter.com/chrismurphyct/statu ... 89761?s=21

https://twitter.com/jimlaporta/status/1 ... 05632?s=21
Deleted User 310

People should stand by their quotes with their names imo. That is my only issue. More tweets citing nameless souces doesn't make me feel any better about these types of articles...again, not necessarily this one or ones about trump, but just in general.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:15 pm People should stand by their quotes with their names imo. That is my only issue. More tweets citing nameless souces doesn't make me feel any better about these types of articles...again, not necessarily this one or ones about trump, but just in general.
And end up like Vindman? Would you sacrifice your career, especially knowing you'd be replaced by someone who would just exacerbate the problem? And to have the entire right wing machine go after you personally, receive death threats, etc.?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's a rock and a hard place there -- end up like Vindman, or be labeled as fake news.

put another way: you wanna be the looser or the sucker?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:15 pm People should stand by their quotes with their names imo. That is my only issue. More tweets citing nameless souces doesn't make me feel any better about these types of articles...again, not necessarily this one or ones about trump, but just in general.
This is why Trump will never pay the political price for being a coward and a traitor. So much pearl-clutching about “sources”.

Put Lindsey Graham, Cronyn and McConnell on the record and ask them if they are ok with this behavior. Anonymous sources or not. Until I hear proof that it is isn’t true it is true.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I dont believe that having your career ended and your life threatened should be the cost of telling the truth.
Deleted User 310

zsn wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:25 am
This is why Trump will never pay the political price for being a coward and a traitor. So much pearl-clutching about “sources”.

Put Lindsey Graham, Cronyn and McConnell on the record and ask them if they are ok with this behavior. Anonymous sources or not. Until I hear proof that it is isn’t true it is true.
I am obviously not okay with this behavior (hell i am not okay with ANY of Trumps behavior), i am not even talking about trump, i am simply talking about this style of negative reporting as having a high potential for being problematic due to anonymous "sources" being able to lie without having to stand by their comments.

I am NOT saying this particular article is lie or has sources who are lying, becuase it is totally believable that trump said these things, especially becuase he has said similar things publicly (McCain comes to mind).

I just think it can be a slippery slope.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The story is possibly quite significant electorally.

But also in the context of a transfer of power.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Wait, how so?

And yeah, maybe, maaaaybe this story might resonate with some subset of his base.

But I’m afraid, as has been the case with every other Trump bombshell, and as illy already pointed out for us, the maga base is more likely to dismiss this as more Fake News than they are to actually stop and consider that maybe, maaaaaaaybe, Trump just really does have such significant flaws.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:57 am Wait, how so?

And yeah, maybe, maaaaybe this story might resonate with some subset of his base.

But I’m afraid, as has been the case with every other Trump bombshell, and as illy already pointed out for us, the maga base is more likely to dismiss this as more Fake News than they are to actually stop and consider that maybe, maaaaaaaybe, Trump just really does have such significant flaws.
Ultimately, should he contest results, his ability to stay in the White House beyond Inauguration Day is dependent on the military going along with it.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Bone spurs
Civil Rights Violations
Full page ad calling for the death penalty for Central Park 5
Bankruptcies/Trump University scandal
Stormy Daniels/John McCain "loser."
Access Hollywood video/audio

We all knew who Trump was long before 2016.
This will not show a ripple amongst his base.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:57 am Wait, how so?

There's probably a fairly large number of vets and families of vets who are not in Trump's base but who still typically vote Republican. Maybe this pushes them into the "enough is enough" category and they vote for Biden.