Mjl

Re: RIP RBG

Post by Mjl »

Obama?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Obama didn't force RGB to retire at gunpoint. . . .
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Gutter’s a psycho, what’s new?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 pmObama?
Yes, Obama.
Deleted User 289

Sparko wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm Obama didn't force RGB to retire at gunpoint. . . .
Bingo!
Deleted User 289

Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:47 pm Gutter’s a psycho, what’s new?
Right, I'm a psycho and always will be but I'm also someone who knows what the fuck he's talking about - sometimes.

Not that YOU care but let me help those who may and might not understand.

Obama should not have simply talked to RBG when he met with her early in his first term. During his Presidency he could have basically "demanded" to her that she step down. Not saying she would have complied but I do believe if enough people were to meet with her and explain to her the importance - she may have conceded.
HE could have then appointed another "liberal" judge who would still be on the court and therefore - we wouldn't have ACB as a Justice.
Pretty fucking simple logic. Right?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Grandma wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:43 am
Right, I'm a psycho and always will be but I'm also someone who knows what the fuck he's talking about - sometimes.

Obama should not have simply talked to RBG when he met with her early in his first term. During his Presidency he could have basically "demanded" to her that she step down. Not saying she would have complied but I do believe if enough people were to meet with her and explain to her the importance - she may have conceded.
HE could have then appointed another "liberal" judge who would still be on the court and therefore - we wouldn't have ACB as a Justice.
God damn you’re dumb
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

The ultimate "in hindsight".
Deleted User 289

Cascadia wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:05 pm

God damn you’re dumb
Coming from you I consider that a compliment.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Re: Obama, even if he had asked and RBG obliged, that’s still presuming Cocaine Mitch would act in good faith.

and the thing about THAT is...
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 289

twocoach wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:27 pm

The hindsight is that this was a known strong possibility. Not that ACB would be nominated and appointed but that RBG probably wouldn't be on the court anymore during a 2016-2020 Presidential term.
My guess is Obama and company believed Hillary was NOT going to lose and if so, that ended up being a HUGE mistake on their part.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, 4-8 years ago, RBG had still only had cancer like 11 times so far.

And yet, she still made it to within 6 weeks of the election.

I think the blame should be placed upon a potus and senate (and the electorate they represent?) completely devoid of good faith.
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm Re: Obama, even if he had asked and RBG obliged, that’s still presuming Cocaine Mitch would act in good faith.

and the thing about THAT is...
If I am not mistaken, Cocaine Mitch wasn't the Senate Majority Leader until well in to Obama's 2nd term.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think that’s true.

But the point is, asking RBG to step down would have been just another chapter in the politicizing of the Supreme Court.

Sure, it would be a serviceable fix in the moment, given the circumstances. But the real change we need is to get away from that shit — bring back supermajority votes, and get both sides to work together for we the people
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:38 pm

The hindsight is that this was a known strong possibility. Not that ACB would be nominated and appointed but that RBG probably wouldn't be on the court anymore during a 2016-2020 Presidential term.
My guess is Obama and company believed Hillary was NOT going to lose and if so, that ended up being a HUGE mistake on their part.
Or that it's not the job of the President to be talking Supreme Court Justices into stepping down.
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:46 pm I think that’s true.

But the point is, asking RBG to step down would have been just another chapter in the politicizing of the Supreme Court.

Sure, it would be a serviceable fix in the moment, given the circumstances. But the real change we need is to get away from that shit — bring back supermajority votes, and get both sides to work together for we the people
I agree.
Deleted User 289

twocoach wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:47 pm
Grandma wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:38 pm
Or that it's not the job of the President to be talking Supreme Court Justices into stepping down.
Why not?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

You know what I wouldn’t put past Moscow Mitch and the other loosers? Have Clarence Thomas and Alito retire on Nov 5th when it’s clear that this election is lost and confirm two incompetent ultra partisan hacks in the lame duck session.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

Again, I’m kinda surprised Trump didn’t just appoint Jared Kushner
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Obama asking/demanding RBG to retire would have been political suicide