Chili Recipe Dump

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Chili Recipe Dump

Post by TDub »

use elk instead of beef and thank me later.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

actually, i generally use ground turkey
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Good bump, traddy
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:16 pm actually, i generally use ground turkey
ok use elk instead of ground turkey haha.

on a semi related note.....ever had pheasant?
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:28 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:16 pm actually, i generally use ground turkey

I don't think you're allowed to kill or eat them, regardless of how poor they are
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:06 pm

I don't think you're allowed to kill or eat them, regardless of how poor they are
hahah theres an H there dammit. don't get ous are riled up now...
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

lol
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I've shared this story before, but I went to some Anthony Bourdain q&a thing in KC years ago.

Of course, someone stands up and asks, "so what's your opinion on cannibalism?"

without batting an eye he responds with something like, "medium rare, with a dash of pepper."
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

in chili? no

but, i have had pheasant nuggets and they were delicious (i even harvested the birds myself, out near Ness City)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ive never had it, but I hink I'll try them next year. I can hunt them right out my back door..literally.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

it was years ago i that i had pheasant, but my recollection is that it was delicious and not very chicken-like at all

plus, they’re an invasive species…so murder away, i say ;)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

which reminds me…i don’t think we’ve talked about the niche market of python meat in south/central florida. apparently it’s a burgeoning market

i’ve had other reptiles, but not python. i’d for sure give it a try if the opportunity presented itself
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I've had pheasant twice. My cousin smoked some that he shot, super dry. Almost jerky-like.

The second time I had it was by disgraced, former New Orleans chef John Besh. He served the legs confited and the breast roasted. Confit was good, the breast was dry and flavorless.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:09 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm Might mean you're just not cooking it long enough on day one.
in a sense this might be it. i’m often impatient, and so long as the individual ingredients are “cooked”, i’ll dish it up. it’s entirely possible that letting it simmer longer would bring about that 2nd day flavor

not sure

might be time for an experiment
I think there's something to it sitting overnight. It tastes different. I experience the same thing when making pico de gallo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I use two pounds of ground meat. The one constant is that a pound of it has to be ground sausage, usually italian or hot italian sausage. The other pound, beef, turkey, bison, game, whatever, maybe whatever is on sale.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:21 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:09 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:41 pm Might mean you're just not cooking it long enough on day one.
in a sense this might be it. i’m often impatient, and so long as the individual ingredients are “cooked”, i’ll dish it up. it’s entirely possible that letting it simmer longer would bring about that 2nd day flavor

not sure

might be time for an experiment
I think there's something to it sitting overnight. It tastes different. I experience the same thing when making pico de gallo.
glad i’m not the only one
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Am I the only one who makes chili and cheese omlettes the next day? Pretty tasty.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Chili and cinnamon rolls, duh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:37 am Chili and cinnamon rolls, duh.
That's how our grade school lunch ladies rolled.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

While I don’t have firsthand knowledge about chili (other than the all-beans version) I think the tastes-better-second-day phenomenon has to do with heating-cooling-heating cycle rather than length of the cooking. Has something to do with how the flavors combine with the food. The cooling helps the flavors enter the food pieces, similar to marinades