Chili Recipe Dump

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Chili Recipe Dump

Post by PhDhawk »

Zsn farts a lot.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

2 lbs lean meat
Williams Chili seasoning
Diced chilis
HOT rotel
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
Tomato puree
I small can Zing Zang
Let it fester in a crock pot for 6 hours
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Roasted green chile's aroma may join New Mexico's cast of state symbols

"Oil and gas", and "Dairy Farm", are among the competitors.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hatch chiles are amazing.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have some roasted and peeled in my freezer. Time for chile verde.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Feral wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am Roasted green chile's aroma may join New Mexico's cast of state symbols

makes my eyes water just thinking about it (for more reasons than one)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Abiquiú, New Mexico is a favorite day trip from southern CO. You can see Plaza Blanca and the purple cliffs that Georgia O'Keefe painted as well as the Echo Amphitheater. For lunch we stop at Bode's in the town for the green chile cheeseburgers. When you pass through Antonito remember to stop at Chavez Market and pick up a bag of Chimayo chile.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am
Why not add "dirty hair" and "sweaty armpits"; for fucks sake people.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

My favorite comments under the video:

-"My first time in Santa Fe New Mexico my life was changed by green chiles"

-"Nobody spells chile chile unless referring to the country!"
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Feral wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:26 pm My favorite comments under the video:

-
-"Nobody spells chile chile unless referring to the country!"
Must be a Texan.

According to the information displayed at the New World Cuisine exhibit, at the Museum of International Folk Art, it was the Spanish that immigrated into New Mexico in the 1500’s that “converted the Nahuatl name, chilli, to chile. This spelling is still used today by most New Mexicans. Pete Dominici, a long-term New Mexico senator, had the “chile” spelling entered into the 1983 Congressional Record as the official spelling for the New Mexico chile pepper.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:51 am I have some roasted and peeled in my freezer. Time for chile verde.
I tried the "put the peppers on the burner, put in bag when black all around, peel when cooled" thing for the first time Sunday.

I'm either doing something wrong or it's just not at all worth the effort. I tasted it next to peppers I cooked with skin on and thought the skin on were at least as good if not better.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Mjl wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:53 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:51 am I have some roasted and peeled in my freezer. Time for chile verde.
I tried the "put the peppers on the burner, put in bag when black all around, peel when cooled" thing for the first time Sunday.

I'm either doing something wrong or it's just not at all worth the effort. I tasted it next to peppers I cooked with skin on and thought the skin on were at least as good if not better.
I have a friend who drives down to Espanola NM and stops at Romero's Fruit Stand every year. He buys a couple of bushel baskets of fresh chiles and has them roast them. Then drives them home to Colorado and freezes them for the year. Not everyone is a 3 hour drive from Espanola though.

I roast tomatillos on my grill in the fall. I use an old perforated pizza pan, rub the tomatillos in a little olive oil and spread them out on the pan. Drop the lid on the grill to build up smoke and then roll the tomatillos over a couple of times until they get slightly blackened. This system seems to work pretty well, might work with chiles also.

I leave the skin on the tomatillos and drop them hot into the blender with garlic and some chile rojo. I mix the tomatillo sauce with goat cheese and then make mashed taters with it. I will probably make some tomatillo mashed taters for the Crimson and Blue Fest in the Empire.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:06 pm Abiquiú, New Mexico is a favorite day trip from southern CO. You can see Plaza Blanca and the purple cliffs that Georgia O'Keefe painted as well as the Echo Amphitheater. For lunch we stop at Bode's in the town for the green chile cheeseburgers. When you pass through Antonito remember to stop at Chavez Market and pick up a bag of Chimayo chile.
if you haven’t had breakfast at the Roadrunner Cafe b/t Espa and Santa Fe, you need to…their huevos rancheros are something special

there’s also a good spot right outside of Chama, but i can’t remember the name
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's mostly to remove the skins but I think it adds flavor too. I do it directly over charcoal and then into a container when the skins are black.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:51 pm

It's mostly to remove the skins but I think it adds flavor too. I do it directly over charcoal and then into a container when the skins are black.
So it's just to do when blending them to make chili or sauce? That would make more sense
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Prior to dicing, stuffing or cooking with them.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:39 pm
japhy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:06 pm Abiquiú, New Mexico is a favorite day trip from southern CO. You can see Plaza Blanca and the purple cliffs that Georgia O'Keefe painted as well as the Echo Amphitheater. For lunch we stop at Bode's in the town for the green chile cheeseburgers. When you pass through Antonito remember to stop at Chavez Market and pick up a bag of Chimayo chile.
if you haven’t had breakfast at the Roadrunner Cafe b/t Espa and Santa Fe, you need to…their huevos rancheros are something special

When we had a place in Pagosa Springs wee went through Chama often. We never stopped for food, we were always holding out for Bode's in Abiquiu. There was a guy who sold sculptures and knives made out of old metal, "Made in Chama Not in China" was the sign on his container moon the side of the road. We used to stop and talk to him when he was there.

We will be taking a road trip through northern NM in a couple of months so I will look that up. We usually spend time in Santa Fe but this trip we will stay in Albuquerque. We want to see the Petroglyph National Monument and a friend has an installation up at the Albuquerque Museum. On the route back we will roll through OKC and see the Oklahoma Contemporary Museum. There should be plenty of good food opportunities along our route.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

japhy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:32 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:39 pm

When we had a place in Pagosa Springs wee went through Chama often. We never stopped for food, we were always holding out for Bode's in Abiquiu. There was a guy who sold sculptures and knives made out of old metal, "Made in Chama Not in China" was the sign on his container moon the side of the road. We used to stop and talk to him when he was there.

We will be taking a road trip through northern NM in a couple of months so I will look that up. We usually spend time in Santa Fe but this trip we will stay in Albuquerque. We want to see the Petroglyph National Monument and a friend has an installation up at the Albuquerque Museum. On the route back we will roll through OKC and see the Oklahoma Contemporary Museum. There should be plenty of good food opportunities along our route.
i think it’s the Elk Horn Cafe…been a few years since i was there, so i make zero claims about its current level of deliciousness

that whole part of northern NM is fantastic. it’s such a shame it’s riddled with crime, but it seems like it’s been that way forever (or at least since i was a kid growing up there)

Espa used to be the low-rider capital of the world, but now i think it’s just the meth capital of the southwest
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

New Mexican Winter White Chili
Diced medium onion
Two cups shredded grilled chicken
15oz can of cannelini beans drained
1/2 cup hatch blackened green chilis
16oz Weissen Beer or wheat ale
15oz can diced tomatos
8oz block cream cheese
Small red pepper diced
Tsp cumin
Tsp salt
Black pepper
Sliced Mushrooms (opt)
1/4 cup chicken broth
Shredded pork (opt)

My wife made this tonight. She is from NM and is a great experimenter cook.

You can add white cheeses to garnish. I like Monterrey Jack. This hit the spot. You can add more or less chicken stock or broth to thickness you desire.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:40 pm
Sparko wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:28 pm Let's talk chili

Start a topic on off topic bored. I'll post a couple of recipes.
This one?

jhawks99 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:30 am
I never really use a recipe but here goes.

For the meat, I like pork butt, which is actually part of the shoulder. If you're not making a giant vat of the stuff, get country style ribs. Keep in mind there are a couple of different kind of country style ribs. One is loin, which is too lean and tender for this, the other is shoulder. Basically, if it looks to pretty, you don't want it.

Next is chiles. I like to use poblanos and either New Mexico or Anaheims. If you can get Hatch, do it. I roast mine directly over high heat hard wood charcoal, a gas grill will work, a gas burner on your stove will work. I've heard of people using an oven broiler, but I've never tried it. Turn and roast until the skin is black all over. Then put into a container with a lid and let cool. At this point you can peel the skin easily. Remove the seeds and chop the chiles. You can add a jalapeno or serrano if you want some heat, roasted or not, doesn't matter.

Now the cooking vessel. I get out my fancy dancy French enameled cast iron Dutch oven. The thing weighs a half a ton and will outlast cock roaches and twinkies. Use your heaviest dutch oven, and heat it over medium high heat until it is hot to the touch. Yeah, touch it, with the backs of your knuckles real fast. Make sure there's no oil in it first. That would be bad.

While the DO is heating, dice the meat into 1" pieces, salt, and dust with a little flour. Add oil to the DO and then add the meat to cover the bottom of the pot without crowding, you want the meat to brown. If you overcrowd it won't brown. Let it sit and brown, very important. You will see the meat start to cook along the sides, at this point stir it and allow other sides to brown, keep doing this until all/most sides are brown. Remove to a plate and continue until all the meat is brown.

While the meat is browning, chop an onion and a few cloves of garlic. Keep them separate. After the all the meat is brown and removed from the pot, add the chopped onions and stir until they are translucent. Add the garlic and stir for a few seconds until you can smell it. Don't burn the garlic, yuck. Add the meat and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove the brown bits. These are good. The French have a word for them, they are so good. It's called fond, and the process of getting them up and into the sauce is called deglazing. Deglazing can also be done with stock, wine, beer or water. Important stuff. In this case, the onions provide moisture to do this, it may not get them all so add some chicken broth (either homemade or a box of Swanson's. Add a little at first so you can see the bottom of the pot. This is where your heavy bottomed pot earns its keep.

Add the rest of the broth. Now it's time to add spices. I use onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and black pepper. Probably close to a tablespoon of each, i dunno, i should measure sometime. At this point we want to salt. Taste it. The broth probably has salt in it. Taste, add a little at a time, stir and taste again. Add more cumin or oregano or whatever. Don't go with something crazy like freakin rosemary, but add your thing if you want. A can of rotel would not be out of place or a diced ripe tomato (not likely to be found in February) but this is optional. Some crazy people add corn. I won't judge, much.

Let simmer for a good hour or so. Low and slow until the meat is tender. You may want to thicken it. I usually do. And I break the rules by using a slurry. Get a big container, add a bunch of water and a handful of flour. Whisk it until there are no lumps. It should be about the constancy of heavy cream. Turn up the heat and let it come to a boil. Stir the chile and add the slurry in slow steady stream, a little at a time. Stir, and allow to come back to a boil. It won't thicken until it comes back to a boil. Add more if you want, don't go crazy, it's chile, not wall paper paste, err on the side of too thin. The flour needs to cook, turn down the heat to barely simmer. Leave for 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, you don't want it to stick at this point. Add cilantro at the end if you want. Some people add cheese, don't be that guy.

Serve with rice, beans, tortillas, chopped onion and cilantro, pickled red onions are a favorite. Make an omelette with the leftovers.
Anand Giridharadas