Silvio Opts Out

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 310

Re: Silvio Opts Out

Post by Deleted User 310 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:31 am i wonder how different things would be if he would’ve just been allowed to play
My worthless guess: not much different. He was allowed to play when he pulled the ignorant stool over the bead stunt.

I wonder how much differently the stool stunt would have been viewed if the media knew about this incident occuring a few weeks prior?

Or also, if Self knew about this at the time of the stool stunt?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:31 am i wonder how different things would be if he would’ve just been allowed to play
Ranging from not different at all to the dinosaurs returning to reign on Earth.
But you could find the logic in there that maybe because he was playing that he felt he had more on the line and wasn't as frustrated so he didn't bother punching the dude.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, innocent until proven guilty. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. But it don't sound good.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Gee, is this yet ANOTHER example of a lack of "institutional control" and/or a "head coach responsibility" issue under Self? Both? Neither?
It was stale long ago. It keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on..............
So many KU fans choose to ignore or at least minimize the MANY issue/s because it's Bill Self and his success at KU.
Any other program and 90% of the people on here rip on that program.
Any other non-successful basketball coach at KU and he would have probably been long gone. Agree? Disagree?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Any other non-successful basketball coach at KU and he would have probably been long gone"

Yes.
Any non-successful basketball coach would mean they would be gone, regardless of how principled they are as a human.
Deleted User 289

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:51 am "Any other non-successful basketball coach at KU and he would have probably been long gone"

Yes.
Any non-successful basketball coach would mean they would be gone, regardless of how principled they are as a human.
Very good point!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

when was the last time we had a good FIRE BILL SELF thread?
Deleted User 289

I know I am probably the only person on this site who feels this way but I sincerely thank Bill Self for his service and appreciate the GOOD things he has done for the program and the University.
But....In doing that I can't help but think about the way too many negative things that have happened during his tenure and if he were to leave (on his own) or be "let go", I wouldn't be happy per se but I wouldn't be too sad either. Realizing ALL relationships come to an end at some point, I question at what point is/will the Bill Self / KU relationship going to end?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

When he wants it to.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

gutter, who would you rather have?

honest question
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Self will never be ‘let go’ or forced out.

All this off the court stuff is common at every program.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Two scenarios I discussed with a friend the other day...

1. Brad Stevens
2. Jacque Vaughn with D-Man as his lead assistant
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'd rather have Self over both those dudes but yes, Stevens and Vaughn would be good gets.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:17 am Self will never be ‘let go’ or forced out.

All this off the court stuff is common at every program.
The players getting into trouble stuff is definitely an every program thing. I'm not sure why people throw around the term "lack of institutional control" when it comes to that stuff. That has nothing to do with that term.

NCAA hammering us for knowingly funneling money to players would be more along the lines of Self being fired. I don't see that entire scenario happening, though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sometimes I wonder if KU has disciplinary/institutional/other issues more so than other programs, or if I just don't notice it at other programs cuz the only program I really pay attention to is KU.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:18 am Two scenarios I discussed with a friend the other day...

1. Brad Stevens
2. Jacque Vaughn with D-Man as his lead assistant
1. Pipe dream at this point. Even Billy Donovan seems like a long shot given how much these college-to-NBA guys like the NBA and are seemingly protected because they are now part of that group of (white) coaches that will just keep getting hired over and over again.

2. No way on Jacque given his complete lack of experience at D-1 level and recruiting. The Penny Hardaway/Aaron McKie, etc. experiences are going to fail.

The only clear favorite is Chris Beard. But, I absolutely think this discussion is academic.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:22 am sometimes I wonder if KU has disciplinary/institutional/other issues more so than other programs, or if I just don't notice it at other programs cuz the only program I really pay attention to is KU.
We're all too close. And KU gets the press nationally. Even locally, KU is this area's professional basketball team. Even in a time of a pandemic and Mahomes should take up 100% of the print, KU has 1.5 reporters at the Star and gets ink. That's not common around the country.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

good point, Laura Bauer.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"they are now part of that group of (white) coaches"

Hi, my name is Doc Rivers.
Deleted User 289

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 am gutter, who would you rather have?

honest question
"rather" is a great question. I would rather have Bill Self without all the issues than anyone else.
I am quick to admit I don't know enough about most college coaches to give you an educated answer.
If Self were to leave, off the top of my head I would probably be more than ok with established guys such as Few, Beilein, Bennett.