Silvio Opts Out

Kansas Basketball.
holidaysmore

Re: Silvio Opts Out

Post by holidaysmore »

Forgot about Chris Beard. That would be a home run hire should KU move on from Self, which, btw will never happen.

Same scenario I discussed with my friend. Self walks away and the NCAA cloud also goes with him so KU is off the hook. If he stays then it is business as usual but the NCAA cloud stays until the case is resolved in whatever manner that maybe. You get the following options to replace him...
1. Beard
2. JV and D-Man

I'm eliminating Stevens because I don't believe he would take a step back to the college ranks.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Few - fine
Beilein - pass
Bennett - i guess so, for results sake, but God how boring
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:17 am Self will never be ‘let go’ or forced out.

All this off the court stuff is common at every program.
I'm not saying I disagree but if we were to get the "death penalty" I would think the Chancellor would have a very difficult decision to make.
I do think Self has enough pride that he would leave on his own accord before he would allow himself to be "fired". Although, his agent might disagree with that and have some say it in.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mark Few is about the only guy that can compete with Scott Drew for being the second biggest douchebag in coaching to Greggggg. God no.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If we got the 'death penalty' I still think Self would have to be the one to decide to leave.
There's a good deal ( majority ) of KU fans that would ( and rightfully ) rally behind Self and the program thinking about the inconsistency of punishment by the clown-shoes NCAA.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

are we really above just asking Mangino to come back?

wait wrong bored
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Few has arguably done better than Self in the last 5 years.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Lol, “death penalty”

Get a fucking grip.....
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Grandma wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:29 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 am gutter, who would you rather have?

honest question
"rather" is a great question. I would rather have Bill Self without all the issues than anyone else.
I am quick to admit I don't know enough about most college coaches to give you an educated answer.
If Self were to leave, off the top of my head I would probably be more than ok with established guys such as Few, Beilein, Bennett.
ok

another question: would you be fine giving up some of our successes if it meant there were fewer of these instances?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

What's ridiculous about gutter's take is that it has become abundantly clear that the things he is bitching about are NCAAB things and not just Bill Self things.

And those things get a lot clearer if N/I/L were already in place like they will be any day now.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Death penalty to me means 3 of these 4 things ( maybe all 4 ) in order of fucked up:

Self suspension for 10+ games.
2+ scholarships taken away ( spare me the inevitable 'all this does is hurt kids' JFish/CnB ) for multiple seasons.
NCAA tournament ban for a season.
Wins where Preston/DeSousa were on the team are revoked - including the 18 Final Four - and if the Big12 gets on board - removed B12 title stripping our 14str8t.

I don't think this happens - but some of it did to Cuse not that long ago.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:45 am What's ridiculous about gutter's take is that it has become abundantly clear that the things he is bitching about are NCAAB things and not just Bill Self things.

And those things get a lot clearer if N/I/L were already in place like they will be any day now.
put another way, these things happen most everywhere, but we don’t hear about them because we don’t follow other programs...particularly programs outside of our conference
Deleted User 289

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:42 am
Grandma wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:29 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:57 am gutter, who would you rather have?

honest question
"rather" is a great question. I would rather have Bill Self without all the issues than anyone else.
I am quick to admit I don't know enough about most college coaches to give you an educated answer.
If Self were to leave, off the top of my head I would probably be more than ok with established guys such as Few, Beilein, Bennett.
ok

another question: would you be fine giving up some of our successes if it meant there were fewer of these instances?
Another good question. I don't expect others to agree but my answer is yes. Would I give up the 2008 NC? No. Would I give up a bunch of Big 12 titles? Probably. Would I give up a few wins during the regular season? Yes.
I realize I have a different selfish perspective than most. I think all of us take pride in being KU Basketball fans but I tend to get more abuse than praise for it. Most of the time it's probably out of jealousy but some of the time i feel it's justifiably so.
I take pride in things I associate myself with. My family, my fiends, my job, my alma mater, etc.
If/when someone does something shameful, I cringe. Not for my sake as much as for their's. I sincerely feel bad because I know deep down they are good people but they tarnish themselves - which then has an affect (effect?) on those they associate with.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The fact that you (and I, and many others) have caught shit for being a KU basketball fan in the 3rd biggest city in the country--I think that speaks well to the program and is a source of pride, actually.
Deleted User 289

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:45 am What's ridiculous about gutter's take is that it has become abundantly clear that the things he is bitching about are NCAAB things and not just Bill Self things.

I am "bitching" about ALL things KU Basketball related. From the very top to the very bottom. Many but of course not all of those things Bill Self either has a bearing on or is in charge of. No matter how we chose to break it down.
I swear I like Bill Self. Doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't find fault in him and those who are under his "reign".
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:39 am Lol, “death penalty”

Get a fucking grip.....
We all know Bill won't be here forever. Some people in a better position to know than me think all of this has him more fired up to see all this through, not less.

Just as a practical matter, the worst time to be looking for a new guy is now, or during the middle of whatever might come from the NCAA. We want this job to be the crown jewel that it is, whenever it's next open.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:00 am

I am "bitching" about ALL things KU Basketball related. From the very top to the very bottom. Many but of course not all of those things Bill Self either has a bearing on or is in charge of. No matter how we chose to break it down.
I swear I like Bill Self. Doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't find fault in him and those who are under his "reign".
I agree 100% that the buck stops with him. Or, at least that it should.

What I disagree with is how bad this stuff really is considering we now know that it's happening everywhere.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

IMO, that still doesn't resolve Self though. We all know it is happening everywhere else but the difference is KU got caught. The difference is that Self was at least 'vague' enough that it may not stick to the highest forms of punishment.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:10 am IMO, that still doesn't resolve Self though. We all know it is happening everywhere else but the difference is KU got caught. The difference is that Self was at least 'vague' enough that it may not stick to the highest forms of punishment.
I can understand then where you are coming from with the "caught" thing.

But, as much as gutter will probably hate this reality--that is where cost benefit analysis then comes into play. Because jfish is right, you can't voluntarily blow this shit up anytime soon without taking a huge program and financial hit.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And this cost benefit analysis became all that much more important with COVID and the floundering football program.

If KU wanted to drop the hammer and 'do the right thing' by making an example of Self they would be essentially pushing the athletic program in the dark ages unless you can get a HC that would be plug and play but those candidates are few and far in between.

I believe that Self knows he probably pushed the envelope to much but I also don't want to find out what is behind door #2 because KU wants to do the morally right thing.
Holidaysmore - 2005