What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:40 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:14 pm another mayorkas impeachment vote…because they’ve got zero more pressing issues to deal with
Impeached.
Fucking shit show
When Rs warn Ds of slippery slopes, what isn’t often pictured is one R holding dish soap above a tarp on a hill, and another R getting ready to push someone down.

Unserious opposition party.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:14 pm another mayorkas impeachment vote…because they’ve got zero more pressing issues to deal with
Impeached.
Fucking shit show
With emphasis on the word show.

What a waste of time.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:24 pm
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:22 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:20 pm

I think - I hope, but I also think - that they’ve badly misread the room (in that the folks are onto their shit).
color me pessimistic
Let’s come back to this conversation after the NY special election results are in.
The Democrat flipped Santos' seat. One step closer to putting the Benny Hill bunch back in the minority.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:41 am
Impeached.
Fucking shit show
When Rs warn Ds of slippery slopes, what isn’t often pictured is one R holding dish soap above a tarp on a hill, and another R getting ready to push someone down.

I'm hoping the Senate treats this seriously and requires house Rs to produce evidence.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:40 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:41 am

Impeached.
Fucking shit show

I'm hoping the Senate treats this seriously and requires house Rs to produce evidence.
I think the writing is on the wall here - the outcome will be vulnerable House Rs cutting a Ukraine/Israel/Border deal with Jeffries.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Arizona Republicans advance bill legalizing killing migrants on suspicion of trespassing

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/27/arizon ... grant-kill
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm sure that'll end well
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:59 pm Arizona Republicans advance bill legalizing killing migrants on suspicion of trespassing

Isn't it legal to shoot trespassers in some/many states? "Migrant" or not?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:05 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:59 pm Arizona Republicans advance bill legalizing killing migrants on suspicion of trespassing

You can't shoot someone for walking in your yard in any state that I am aware of.

Either way, it's not a serious bill. It'll be vetoed by the governor.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:12 am

You can't shoot someone for walking in your yard in any state that I am aware of.

I hope it's not legal in any state to shoot someone for simply walking in your yard - but I figure it would be hard for a law enforcement officer/court/judge/prosecutor/ to prove you didn't shoot that person in self defense if you swear under oath that the person at least attempted to physically attack you - and told you that they were going to kill you - and you shot that person in self defense.

I do understand the difference/s between that scenario and using migrants as target practice - because you "legally" can.
Let's hope that bill isn't passed.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

The pro life party
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:33 am
DeletedUser wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:12 am

I hope it's not legal in any state to shoot someone for simply walking in your yard - but I figure it would be hard for a law enforcement officer/court/judge/prosecutor/ to prove you didn't shoot that person in self defense if you swear under oath that the person at least attempted to physically attack you - and told you that they were going to kill you - and you shot that person in self defense.

I do understand the difference/s between that scenario and using migrants as target practice - because you "legally" can.
Let's hope that bill isn't passed.
Generally: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Texas has a "castle" law. You could legally shoot someone if you feel endangered.

I remember a case back in the early 90s, a guy was in front of a mans home, and they were verbally sparring.
It got serious, and the man on the sidewalk stepped onto the homeowners driveway, and caught a .45 to the chest...DOA. Charges did not come.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Seeing reporting last night and this morning that Missouri's stand-your-ground law might give the parade shooters a viable defense.

Nice work, everyone.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Hey wait--aren't we all really good guys with a gun?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:25 pm Hey wait--aren't we all really good guys with a gun?
Not until we reach the Goldilocks-With-A-Gun Zone - that totally-achievable, not-at-all-ludicrous, self-sustaining equilibrium state in which there are exactly as many guns, held by precisely the right people, such that gun violence is forever eradicated without any regulation needed.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

hmmm…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna140896

An NBC News review of available 2024 crime data shows overall crime levels dropping in cities that have received the most migrants...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:18 am hmmm…

An NBC News review of available 2024 crime data shows overall crime levels dropping in cities that have received the most migrants...
That's what I would expect. Probably not a good idea to commit crimes if you are applying for asylum to enter the country. There will be some but overall, I would expect the percentage of crime from them to be lower than that of US citizens of the same income level.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:18 am hmmm…

This is what we've been waiting for!

Once people see this and realize Trump has lied to them, he'll be out on his ass and Nikki will be the Republican standard barer.

You can take it to the bank!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas