What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:42 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:18 am hmmm…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna140896

An NBC News review of available 2024 crime data shows overall crime levels dropping in cities that have received the most migrants...
This is what we've been waiting for!

Once people see this and realize Trump has lied to them, he'll be out on his ass and Nikki will be the Republican standard barer.

You can take it to the bank!
Fake News
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I keep reading the articles about the current border situation and the recent kabuki theater played by trumpty dumpty and President Biden down there. The writings and conversations mix the words "immigrant" and "migrant" as though they are interchangeable. They can describe the same person, but are not the same thing.

My grandfather and father were "migrant" workers in the 1940's-50's. They followed the wheat harvest from Montana to Texas working on harvesting crews. They migrated for work because it paid better than what they could get in their hometown in Colorado. When I went to college I migrated to Kansas and then return to Missouri afterwards, I wanted a better education. When it is harvest time in the Empire 2500 migrant workers come up annually from Guatemala and work in the fields, live in temporary camps and then go back to Guatamala. In May, 250,000 Mexican free tail bats will migrate to an abandoned mine in the north end of the valley and keep us mostly mosquito free.

In all of the above cases the locals are mostly happy to have the migrants come through and do what they do. In the valley there are events scheduled to make sure the workers feel welcome and make their lives more pleasant while they are there, because we need them to come back next year to keep our agricultural economy working.

Yes DC, it is "cheap foreign" labor. They make about $20-25/hour working 60-80 hour weeks. But you would be hard pressed to get the kid working at the QT in Denver to come down for the summer and do the work and sleep in a shed. And in a town of 2,000 you can't "just" hire the extra 2,500 people it takes to get the work done in the short time period before the ground freezes. While it may seem like low pay, they likely make more money in those 3 months than the workers make in the 9 months they are back home.

The above examples are not immigration, they are migrants, and that's not a dirty word.

Most immigrants start out as migrants, but not all migrants become immigrants.

And to be clear, my family is of German/Bohemian descent so we were at one point immigrants as well. We are grandfathered in as "real Mericans" now, and being "white" helps.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

…But you would be hard pressed to get the kid working at the QT in Denver to come down for the summer and do the work and sleep in a shed.

…they likely make more money in those 3 months than the workers make in the 9 months they are back home.

a hard yes on both points
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:42 am
KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:18 am hmmm…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna140896

An NBC News review of available 2024 crime data shows overall crime levels dropping in cities that have received the most migrants...
This is what we've been waiting for!

Once people see this and realize Trump has lied to them, he'll be out on his ass and Nikki will be the Republican standard barer.

You can take it to the bank!
And here I was about to lament, in the Hunter thread, just how goddamn stubborn non-truth is; we see multiple examples on this board every single day.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:36 am …But you would be hard pressed to get the kid working at the QT in Denver to come down for the summer and do the work and sleep in a shed.

…they likely make more money in those 3 months than the workers make in the 9 months they are back home.

a hard yes on both points
And to be clear, the better this system works for the migrants, the less likely they will become immigrants if you are looking for actual deterrents. My dad and grandfather never considered moving to Texas or Montana or Kansas during their work travels. They mostly thought about getting back home. I get the impression the migrants in the Empire think it is dry and windy and the food sucks. There is now a small tortilleria in town that sells food that caters to the palates of the migrant workers.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i’m trying to remember if i’ve ever had Guatemalan cuisine…don’t think so

edit:

i had no idea

https://www.afar.com/magazine/essential ... ?_amp=true
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:51 pm i’m trying to remember if i’ve ever had Guatemalan cuisine…don’t think so

edit:

i had no idea

https://www.afar.com/magazine/essential ... ?_amp=true
Interesting that so many of those dishes are soups and stews.

I seem to recall there are some people here who eschew such fare, but not me, I'm all about hearty soups that are the meal.

And, I don't care much for plantains, and you can't make me.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is a way to extend meals and mellow some of the pungent tastes of seafood and native tubers. Plantains are coming for you though.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

“Nobody can explain to me how allowing millions of people from places unknown, from countries unknown, who don’t speak languages — we have languages coming into our country — we have nobody that even speaks those languages. They’re truly foreign languages. Nobody speaks them,” Trump said during his speech by the border in Eagle Pass, Texas.

:lol:
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Trump "umdegahed" today. His brain is demented. He is no longer fit to stand trial and his handlers should use this to gracefully withdraw. But his handlers want to unleash flying monkeys.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:45 am It is a way to extend meals and mellow some of the pungent tastes of seafood and native tubers. Plantains are coming for you though.
If you say so. They're just so starchy, to me.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Plantains are the illegal immigrant relatives of bananas.

They come across the border, unwanted.

And now, they are taking the jobs that bananas have done for years.

Fuckers
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:50 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:45 am It is a way to extend meals and mellow some of the pungent tastes of seafood and native tubers. Plantains are coming for you though.
Whenever someone complains about a particular vegetable or fruit it’s because they haven’t been presented with a skillful preparation or picked at the appropriate ripeness and freshness.

Okra can be made non-slimy. Plantains can be made not to taste like a glob of starch, Brussels sprouts can be made not stinky or mushy or grey.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

zsn gets it.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

zsn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:22 pm
Shirley wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:50 pm
Whenever someone complains about a particular vegetable or fruit it’s because they haven’t been presented with a skillful preparation or picked at the appropriate ripeness and freshness.

Okra can be made non-slimy. Plantains can be made not to taste like a glob of starch, Brussels sprouts can be made not stinky or mushy or grey.
In my experience, vegetarian cooks tend to be fastidious, so I don't doubt your plantains would be quite good.

I like okra, and I love Brussels sprouts*.

I've had plantains in any # of locals, both domestic and otherwise. Unfortunately, they frequently resemble stiff, flavorless, cardboard. I can recall having them as heavily salted chips, and they were pretty good. Even when the starch has converted to sugar, i.e., they're ripe, to me, like overripe bananas that aren't being turned into, e.g., banana bread, I usually find them cloyingly sweet.

But then, cilantro tases like soap, to me.

*I was raised on canned or frozen Brussels sprouts that were boiled until they were mush. The only things worse than the texture were the taste and the miasma that permeated the house for the next day or two. But then I discovered roasting and caramelizing them at 425 and above, and my B-sprout paradigm shifted 180 degrees.
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

My dad, Great Depression survivor as a kid, loved canned food. Especially tamales. I hated canned tamales. A revellation getting fresh ones.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think we’ve discussed this, but -

What does Biden, or dems at large, have to gain from a right turn on border policy?

It seems less likely to win over any pubs, and more likely to just alienate dems

At least the like 6 dems left whose ideology is still something more than, “vote blue no matter who”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:36 am I think we’ve discussed this, but -

What does Biden, or dems at large, have to gain from a right turn on border policy?

It seems less likely to win over any pubs, and more likely to just alienate dems

At least the like 6 dems left whose ideology is still something more than, “vote blue no matter who”
I do not believe this "and more likely to just alienate dems " to be wholly true. It may alienate some on the very far left but frankly, those people will always find something to bitch about since Biden isnt left enough for them.

I am pretty liberal and would like to see more done at the border. We need to build more facilities and hire more American workers to process the volume of asylum seekers in a faster manner so we can deport those who do not have a case and allow in the ones who do. If we had the infrastructure in place, it would reduce the amount of immigrants who have to pay thousands of dollars to a coyote to sneak them over the border. That is safer for them, safer for Border Patrol, safer for US citizens who live along the border and better for the US if they show up through proper channels with some money in their pocket.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:36 am I think we’ve discussed this, but -

It would seem to me that improving the lives and livelihoods of Americans by addressing pressing problems is sort of the job.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How quickly we went from, “we have to vote for Biden cuz we need to stop Trump!”, to “ok so maybe Biden going for Trump-style immigration policies like IS “improving the lives and livelihoods of Americans”