What happened to the immigration thread?

Ugh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: What happened to the immigration thread?

Post by jhawks99 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:06 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:30 am we would do better. but some person that has not held a public office for 3+ years won't let us

the democrat party
You would do well to read actual news. That is what is happening.
You understood that?
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

what are you talking about? mich is a wordsmith
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Eagle Pass, Texas — A bipartisan group of lawmakers in Congress is on the verge of striking a deal with the Biden administration that would enact sweeping new border controls, including the authority to pause asylum processing during spikes in migrant crossings, three people familiar with the talks told CBS News.

After weeks of closed-door negotiations, the White House and a trio of senators could unveil an agreement as early as this week, the sources said, requesting anonymity due to the private nature of the conversations. The bill is designed to reduce the unprecedented levels of illegal crossings recorded along the southern border in the past three years...[/]
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:24 pm Eagle Pass, Texas — A bipartisan group of lawmakers in Congress is on the verge of striking a deal with the Biden administration that would enact sweeping new border controls, including the authority to pause asylum processing during spikes in migrant crossings, three people familiar with the talks told CBS News.

After weeks of closed-door negotiations, the White House and a trio of senators could unveil an agreement as early as this week, the sources said, requesting anonymity due to the private nature of the conversations. The bill is designed to reduce the unprecedented levels of illegal crossings recorded along the southern border in the past three years...[/]

I doubt I'm the only one who will be amazed if senate republicans actually go thru with passing the bill, knowing the orange fascist doesn't want them to. Of course, we've already heard from Christo-Fascist Speaker Mike Johnson that it's "Dead On Arrival" in the house. Johnson doesn't want to deprive Trump of the opportunity to demagogue the issue for the next 10 months, so he can't do anything to help our immigration/border problem.

And while we know Dems have given in on a # of issues to get funding for Ukraine and Israel to make a deal, it might be a lot better than nothing, but I'd be more optimistic if the senate Republican negotiating the deal, wasn't such a craven Trump enabler.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:51 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:24 pm Eagle Pass, Texas — A bipartisan group of lawmakers in Congress is on the verge of striking a deal with the Biden administration that would enact sweeping new border controls, including the authority to pause asylum processing during spikes in migrant crossings, three people familiar with the talks told CBS News.

After weeks of closed-door negotiations, the White House and a trio of senators could unveil an agreement as early as this week, the sources said, requesting anonymity due to the private nature of the conversations. The bill is designed to reduce the unprecedented levels of illegal crossings recorded along the southern border in the past three years...
I doubt I'm the only one who will be amazed if senate republicans actually go thru with passing the bill, knowing the orange fascist doesn't want them to. Of course, we've already heard from Christo-Fascist Speaker Mike Johnson that it's "Dead On Arrival" in the house. Johnson doesn't want to deprive Trump of the opportunity to demagogue the issue for the next 10 months, so he can't do anything to help our immigration/border problem.

And while we know Dems have given in on a # of issues to get funding for Ukraine and Israel to make a deal, it might be a lot better than nothing, but I'd be more optimistic if the senate Republican negotiating the deal, wasn't such a craven Trump enabler.
I think it's now more likely than not that enough House Rs will cave to the mounting political pressure to make a deal - I think people have picked up on the bullshit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Shirley wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:51 pm

I am surprised when Senate Republicans do anything productive at this point.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I wish the Border Czar could do something productive. (Too much to ask)?
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:58 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:44 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:20 pm

Tell that to the orange fella holding up border-securing legislation so that he can stay out of prison for his many crimes.
Took you a long time to come up with the dumbest imaginable post. This has everything to do with biden and nothing to do with the orange fella. Because you had no valid argument. When in doubt cry about the orange fella. It's a weird obsession/derangement syndrome
I suggest you read real news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/25/us/p ... trump.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... rcna135626

https://www.newson6.com/story/65b1a10c3 ... ing-tabled

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/25/politics ... index.html
The real news that told you to take 5 covid shots, right? That one?

Hilarious that all of those links are propaganda sources.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cassandra wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:58 pm
randylahey wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:44 pm

Took you a long time to come up with the dumbest imaginable post. This has everything to do with biden and nothing to do with the orange fella. Because you had no valid argument. When in doubt cry about the orange fella. It's a weird obsession/derangement syndrome
I suggest you read real news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/25/us/p ... trump.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... rcna135626

https://www.newson6.com/story/65b1a10c3 ... ing-tabled

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/25/politics ... index.html
The real news that told you to take 5 covid shots, right? That one?

Hilarious that all of those links are propaganda sources.
(Those mouth-noises you are making do NOT include any evidence against the substantive point - which is that House GOP slavering over Trump is what is keeping strong and sweeping bipartisan border legislation from being passed.)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Good god. Or, "if this god is a/the real god, then god is not good."

This is a disease.

Protest Convoy Headed to Southern Border Is Calling Itself an ‘Army of God’

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9adk/ ... ationalism
A trucker convoy of “patriots” is heading to the U.S. border with Mexico next week, as the standoff between Texas and the federal government intensifies. The organizers of the “Take Our Border Back” convoy have called themselves “God’s army” and say they’re on a mission to stand up against the “globalists” who they claim are conspiring to keep U.S. borders open and destroy the country.

“This is a biblical, monumental moment that’s been put together by God,” one convoy organizer said on a recent planning call. “We are besieged on all sides by dark forces of evil,” said another. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God. It is time for the remnant to rise.” (The remnant, from the Book of Revelation, are the ones who remain faithful to Jesus Christ in times of crisis).

[...]

A group of six patriot-world influencers, including Kim Yeater, who runs a self-empowerment self-help group and an anti-voter fraud group, started organizing the convoy around a month ago. “God’s army is rising up,” she said on the planning call. “We all have been chosen for this time.”

[...]

The convoy’s crowdfunder on GiveSendGo has raked in more than $30,000 just this week, totaling nearly $50,000 by Friday morning. “Once willing to die defending this country, now willing to die protecting my family from what this country has become,” said one donor, who identified himself as a Navy vet. “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes,” wrote another.

Thousands of dollars rolled in on Wednesday, when Infowars’ Alex Jones interviewed one of the organizers, Pete Chambers, a former military commander who says he was a green beret. “There’s a war literally happening now for America,” Jones said.

“We’re at 1774 right now,” said Chambers. He later drew a comparison with the Biblical story of Gideon’s Army; in the Book of Judges, the army’s faith in God allowed them to prevail over their enemy despite being vastly outnumbered.

[...]

Saks stressed that the convoy and rallies are supposed to be peaceful demonstrations, but acknowledged that not everyone coming may be on the same page.

“We realize we may have infiltrators. There may be some people who try to subvert us, who jump in the convoy—provocateurs. We may have some, and they’re going to have to deal with our security team, they'll be asked to leave,” Saks told VICE News. “We won’t tolerate anyone brandishing a weapon or starting trouble, or making this more than what it’s supposed to be.”

We’re not going to make waves…This is just to make a statement, have music, pray,” Saks added. “It's only a call to arms if the people around us make it a call to arms.”

[...]

Some have suggested online that the convoy is a “psyop,” stacked with undercover agents, designed to lure well-meaning “patriots” into a violent event—which is what a quarter of Americans believe happened with the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

“Don’t go. Remember Jan 6th. Don’t fall for it again,” a user wrote on the far-right forum patriots.win.” I don’t care how peacefully you assemble. Some Fed will instigate violence and MAGA will be blamed for it. If one shot is fired, everything is over. You know it will be fired.”

But the narratives inherent to Christian nationalism offer moral justification for engaging in violence, says Braunstein, and in the context of the escalating drama over the border, that makes some of the organizers’ rhetoric concerning. Braunstein cited polling by Public Religion Research Institute finding that nearly a third of Republicans believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence to save the country.”

The same study found that number jumped by ten percentage points when combined with Christian Nationalist ideology, and belief in racist “replacement theory” that suggests that “immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background.”
My biggest takeaway is that this shithole, stolen, failing country sure does afford people copious time, money and freedom to waste all of those things in silly, frivolous LARPing.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

maybe it is whatever is left of Roy Tillmans guys.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:04 pm Good god. Or, "if this god is a/the real god, then god is not good."

This is a disease.

Protest Convoy Headed to Southern Border Is Calling Itself an ‘Army of God’

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5d9adk/ ... ationalism
A trucker convoy of “patriots” is heading to the U.S. border with Mexico next week, as the standoff between Texas and the federal government intensifies. The organizers of the “Take Our Border Back” convoy have called themselves “God’s army” and say they’re on a mission to stand up against the “globalists” who they claim are conspiring to keep U.S. borders open and destroy the country.

“This is a biblical, monumental moment that’s been put together by God,” one convoy organizer said on a recent planning call. “We are besieged on all sides by dark forces of evil,” said another. “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God. It is time for the remnant to rise.” (The remnant, from the Book of Revelation, are the ones who remain faithful to Jesus Christ in times of crisis).

[...]

A group of six patriot-world influencers, including Kim Yeater, who runs a self-empowerment self-help group and an anti-voter fraud group, started organizing the convoy around a month ago. “God’s army is rising up,” she said on the planning call. “We all have been chosen for this time.”

[...]

The convoy’s crowdfunder on GiveSendGo has raked in more than $30,000 just this week, totaling nearly $50,000 by Friday morning. “Once willing to die defending this country, now willing to die protecting my family from what this country has become,” said one donor, who identified himself as a Navy vet. “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes,” wrote another.

Thousands of dollars rolled in on Wednesday, when Infowars’ Alex Jones interviewed one of the organizers, Pete Chambers, a former military commander who says he was a green beret. “There’s a war literally happening now for America,” Jones said.

“We’re at 1774 right now,” said Chambers. He later drew a comparison with the Biblical story of Gideon’s Army; in the Book of Judges, the army’s faith in God allowed them to prevail over their enemy despite being vastly outnumbered.

[...]

Saks stressed that the convoy and rallies are supposed to be peaceful demonstrations, but acknowledged that not everyone coming may be on the same page.

“We realize we may have infiltrators. There may be some people who try to subvert us, who jump in the convoy—provocateurs. We may have some, and they’re going to have to deal with our security team, they'll be asked to leave,” Saks told VICE News. “We won’t tolerate anyone brandishing a weapon or starting trouble, or making this more than what it’s supposed to be.”

We’re not going to make waves…This is just to make a statement, have music, pray,” Saks added. “It's only a call to arms if the people around us make it a call to arms.”

[...]

Some have suggested online that the convoy is a “psyop,” stacked with undercover agents, designed to lure well-meaning “patriots” into a violent event—which is what a quarter of Americans believe happened with the insurrection at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021.

“Don’t go. Remember Jan 6th. Don’t fall for it again,” a user wrote on the far-right forum patriots.win.” I don’t care how peacefully you assemble. Some Fed will instigate violence and MAGA will be blamed for it. If one shot is fired, everything is over. You know it will be fired.”

But the narratives inherent to Christian nationalism offer moral justification for engaging in violence, says Braunstein, and in the context of the escalating drama over the border, that makes some of the organizers’ rhetoric concerning. Braunstein cited polling by Public Religion Research Institute finding that nearly a third of Republicans believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence to save the country.”

The same study found that number jumped by ten percentage points when combined with Christian Nationalist ideology, and belief in racist “replacement theory” that suggests that “immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background.”
My biggest takeaway is that this shithole, stolen, failing country sure does afford people copious time, money and freedom to waste all of those things in silly, frivolous LARPing.
They will go home once they run out of Redbull, Slim Jims and HoHos.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/28/politics ... index.html

We'll see soon enough if the GOP is just a shameless group of Trump ass kissers.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:21 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/28/politics ... index.html

We'll see soon enough if the GOP is just a shameless group of Trump ass kissers.
Call me a skeptic, but I'm concerned that this is precisely the sort of thing a D would say if a D knew the Rs would be, on Trump's behalf, scuttling (or slow-walking-to-death) a deal.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:21 pm https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/28/politics ... index.html

What more evidence do you need? They have been, for at least 8 years now. For at least twice longer than that they have been demagogues about this issue, with no intention to come up with meaningful solutions - just keeping it in the public eye, as a white supremacist dog whistle. Trump came along and gave permission to change the frequency - it’s now a fully audible whistle.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:27 pm

What more evidence do you need? They have been, for at least 8 years now. For at least twice longer than that they have been demagogues about this issue, with no intention to come up with meaningful solutions - just keeping it in the public eye, as a white supremacist dog whistle. Trump came along and gave permission to change the frequency - it’s now a fully audible whistle.
But of course it's even stupider than that.

Call it Schrodinger's Issue - it is simultaneously both (1) a dire emergency that warrants immediate consequences, and somehow also (2) something that can wait a year or more to do anything about.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This is so highly unserious, but also deadly serious.

https://x.com/speakerjohnson/status/175 ... q_-8Yt1KMA
Any border "shutdown" authority that ALLOWS even one illegal crossing is a non-starter. Thousands each day is outrageous. The number must be ZERO.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 am Image
Trump fundamentally doesn’t understand that the ambient volume staying the same because 80% of the people are making 125% of the noise they used to, doesn’t really help.

Put differently, Trump probably genuinely and sincerely looks at the red and blue, county by county electoral map, and uses it as the basis for concluding election fraud.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:39 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 am Image
Trump fundamentally doesn’t understand that the ambient volume staying the same because 80% of the people are making 125% of the noise they used to, doesn’t really help.

Put differently, Trump probably genuinely and sincerely looks at the red and blue, county by county electoral map, and uses it as the basis for concluding election fraud.
Giving Trump credit for any critical analysis whatsoever is peak magnanimousity of you.

#fanboymuch
Anand Giridharadas