Election

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: Election

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:22 am I don't post on this trash heap of a bored because it's become increasingly obvious that people are set in their opinions and just shit on each other. I might post a couple more times on here in the next few days but then i'll be ducking out again.

But I will say that if you have or are intending on selecting Trump as your candidate, you should feel ashamed. Not that you will, but you should.

I think a lot of the reason why Trump has come to power is because the country has moved too PC. Racism is and has always been an issue but terms like it ( all the ism's ) have lost much of the meaning now - and it's fair to say the "Left" - or what is represented of the left in media ( including organic social ) - are at the forefront of finger pointing and mislabeling. And painting the white male ( or white person in general ) in this country as a privileged sect who has held power too long and who's opinion shouldn't matter because they are said white male is counter productive. This coincides with painting Christianity as a flaw. Or masculinity as a flaw. And those that are quick to say, 'you are paranoid, none of that is happening,' well, i'm not lobster, but from my vantage point, ( and the conundrum of course is my vantage point from some is devalued because of who I am ), it is, and it sucks. And the response of some to say, "boohoo" etc. or "it's about time" goes nowhere. On that premise, I can understand why people might resist aligning with the Democratic party.

On policy generally, I would say I lean left. I stand strongly with police reform. More mandatory training and screening. Body cameras. And ultimately, the weakening of the legal protections police officers have when they make a mistake. Any officer who is caught targeting a minority should be punished harshly. I stand by making the 2nd Ammendment more of what it should be - which is guns as weapons for militia - and guns as tools for hunting/basic home protection. I think the wealthiest of people should be taxed more and any/all loopholes in hiding their money be minimized. I think healthcare is a human right - but I don't think healthcare should be equal - so if you do well for yourself, you should be afforded better healthcare than others, and the option to choose those plans.

I lean right on other subjects. I think the federal government should let the state's decide on a lot more things. This includes the death penalty, gay marriage and abortion rights. I would be proud to be living in a state that supports gay marriage and the woman's right to choose - I don't think if a majority of people in a state disagree with me, they should have to follow how I live. ( certain aspects of life I think have to be mandated federally - as mentioned above - but not all ).

So maybe one might consider me one of the undecideds -- no strong connection to either party, but that's not the case at all. Despite the souring of the Democratic party, there's just not enough there to warrant voting for an abysmal excuse of a human. Trump is not a leader. He is a megalomaniac. A manipulator. And it's not "just like every politician". No. Stop. It's not. He's not this way because of how the media portrays him either. He is a fucking cesspool of lies, a master of breaking the laws, a culprit of not listening to professionals in the field and thinking he is one. He lives in a world of himself - his goal is not to unite our country and it should be - we're the God damn United States - we need someone who doesn't throw temper tantrums on twitter. Who doesn't single out Muslims, Mexicans, Native Americans etc. All the things said about being overly PC are tossed out the window with him because he walks that nasty hateful line -- he's been built out of the animosity for that movement -- but he's a monster who has lost control.

Biden's my choice here. It's not exciting but he's clearly so much better of a leader, of a professional, a listener, a diplomat, than Trump.

If you don't agree with the movement of the Left, don't vote.
Regardless of what some might say, that's not a vote for Trump.
But a vote for Trump should make you feel ashamed. And if you don't feel ashamed, i'm sorry, but you have validated what the Left has been trying to paint.
I do not have a problem with white men. I have a problem with some white men believing that all black men universally have the same opportunities and advantages. It's simply not the case.

I do not have a problem with Christians. I have a problem with some Christians believing that the entire nation needs to be governed by laws reflecting Christian beliefs.

I do not have a problem with masculinity. I have a problem with masculinity being used by some to bully, intimidate or oppress others.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And all of those vary to degrees.
I find that over the last decade that aspects of those have become like molehills into mountains.
And if you argue that you think they are molehills, you are quick to be labeled whatever the latest coined term is for disagreeing and quickly invalidated.

It's a logic circle that prevents free expression and speech in an ironically ( ironically because of the ethos of the assumed argument ) opposite manner.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Well of course, not all black men have the same opportunities. Variables include their health, talents, intelligence, home life, etc. But these have nothing to do with race. And besides, more blacks are successful at basketball than whites, so it is a ridiculous argument to say they are oppressed in this country.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"And besides, more blacks are successful at basketball than whites, so it is a ridiculous argument to say they are oppressed in this country."

It rains 4 inches more a year in Phoenix than Las Vegas, so it's a ridiculous argument to say that Phoenix is dry.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

So, when will blacks be "unoppressed"? What will it take (without moving the goal post in another few years)? There is no solution to this question-- that is the whole point.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a difficult ask.
And yes, we do better than other countries.
But you can't just say outright that black people are not oppressed to a degree in the US.

I would say the best bet is heavily investing at a young age to encourage educational and occupational growth. Perhaps take 50 billion from the military budget and get the best staff in the areas that are prone to struggling.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:22 am
I lean right on other subjects. I think the federal government should let the state's decide on a lot more things. This includes the death penalty, gay marriage and abortion rights. I would be proud to be living in a state that supports gay marriage and the woman's right to choose - I don't think if a majority of people in a state disagree with me, they should have to follow how I live. ( certain aspects of life I think have to be mandated federally - as mentioned above - but not all ).

Where should that line be drawn, then, on where states should decide vs. where the feds should step in?

If issues such as abortion or gay marriage should be left to the states, then should it also be up to the states to, say, decide whether black people can use the same drinking fountain?

I don’t mean that as a zinger, and hope I don’t come across as disrespectful. I’m just genuinely curious where that line is drawn. It’s so nuanced, and I hope we may discuss.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Where should that line be drawn, then, on where states should decide vs. where the feds should step in?

If issues such as abortion or gay marriage should be left to the states, then should it also be up to the states to, say, decide whether black people can use the same drinking fountain?

I don’t mean that as a zinger, and hope I don’t come across as disrespectful. I’m just genuinely curious where that line is drawn. It’s so nuanced, and I hope we may discuss.
And many of the "leave it to the states" items have federal implications. It would be absurd if a gay couple in one state could file their federal income tax return as a married couple while another couple in a different state could not.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a matter of personal opinion.
I think those should be decided by the states.

I think at the federal level, unions should be protected when it comes to marital benefits so that anyone who wants to have a union should have exactly the same rights. But that particular state may not acknowledge the marriage - but the nation does. I would change marriage to union at the federal level and then let states decide on what marriage means.

I think abortion is more nuanced than restricting a black person to drink from a fountain.

One is obviously wrong to me and can't be argued.
The other can be argued - hence, let the people of the state decide.
If what is decided in your state is repulsive enough for you to not want to live there, do whatever is necessary to move, or do whatever is necessary to change the view of your state to vote to get the right people to change the law.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:34 pm

We have a pretty good guide on this question--it is named the Constitution.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The Constitution has all sorts of interpretations.
The battle of federal v state power has been a thing since it was written.
Because things are currently interpreted one way currently does not mean that one has to agree with it.

Hence political parties, voting, etc.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Too many threads to choose from on where I should post this. Obviously I am choosing this one.

I just voted and it was a complete cluster f*ck.
1) There were some issues (possibly unforeseen - or they just weren't properly prepared) so the polling place didn't open at exactly 6:00am - as it should of.
2) New polling place workers (who have never done this) struggling. Nice young woman who I noticed was physically shaking (due to her being nervous?) taking way to long to check people in and get them their ballots. She was the only person checking people in. Often there have been more than one person checking people in. You would think today of all days there would be more than one.
3) I was the 5th person in line. Not sure why but there were some issues in which two of the people in front of me needed to get "provisional" ballots. That took extra time for us standing in line.
4) They handed us black Sharpies to fill out our ballots. The markers bled through to the other side of the ballots (plural - two separate ballots). I was assured it wouldn't affect my ballot but there are people who will struggle to read what is on the other side of the ballot because words are "blacked out" due to the marker bleeding - and also if you voted yes or no on the retention of judges - the marks weren't over your choices but they were right next to them. I could see how people might get confused and thrown off by that.
5) When I went to put my ballot in the machine to be counted - the machine was not working. I was told they would take my ballot and put it in a large blue bin and it would be counted later. NO! Unacceptable! I had to explain to them why. I had to tell them that it's the VOTER who needs to physically put the ballot in the box and that I did not at all feel comfortable with someone else doing it.
6A) I realize due to Covid there are necessary precautions in place but I voted in a place that is literally the size of a football field. There were A LOT less voting "stations" (where you go to fill out your ballot) than usual. 5 total.
6B) Ok, so measures are in place because of Covid but there were people touching the same pens and markers without the pens and markers being sanitized. Yes, that's me being "anal" and it's truly wasn't a big deal to me but if they really wanted to be as safe as possible, everyone would either get their own pen and marker or the pens and markers would be sanitized. I mention both pens and makers because I used a pen to "register"/"check in" when I arrived and a marker to fill out my ballot.
7) I waited in hopes that the machine that accepts/counts/tabulates ballots would be working.
Sure enough, miraculously it started to work.
I'm confident it had to do with user error and the incompetence of those who were supposed to properly "program" it to work because I watched someone talking on the phone trying to "trouble shoot".
I asked the person near the machine "What happens if the machine breaks down - will my ballot still be counted or will it screw it up"? "Will my ballot be counted twice, once, not at all"?
I was given a blank stare. I asked, "You don't really know for sure - do you"? He shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.
As my mother would say - "OYSH".
Which is a combination of Oy vey and shit.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Took me 90 minutes to vote. I don't think I've ever had to wait more than 5-10 minutes in the past, of course, I've moved a lot, so that doesn't mean much.

The bottle neck seemed to be checking IDs not the number of electronic ballots available. Which, to me, was more frustrating.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I voted on Friday. Super easy. They checked ID, gave me a paper ballot, never had one of those before. Went to a stand thingie and while I was filling it out, one of the volunteers held up a young lady's hand and yelled out, "First time voter". Standing applause. Total time in and out about 3 minutes.
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

My wife said she had the exact same experience as Gutter, including the sharpies bleeding through. Illinois has completely shat the bed.
Deleted User 289

Interesting mjl. I assume she voted in the suburbs. I have a friend who lives up north (suburbs) and said she dropped off her ballot in a drop box. I told her I am a skeptical person so I wonder if the dropbox will be dropped off in Lake Michigan.
It's nice PhD and 99 had to show ID to vote.
We in Illinois do not. At least I don't.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I voted three weeks ago. I feel optimistic about Texas. 40 percent registered Democrats. 39 percent registered GOP. 21 percent I. Independents have broken to Biden by about eight percent. Some GOP disaffection. More than the other way. 17 million registered voters, about 10M already voted. Even figuring a same day advantage for Trump today of 55-45, my calculation is 6.2M Biden to 5.95M Trump. Hagar though does not seem to inspire independents unfortunately. Hope she surprises.

The turnout already explains the desperate gambit on Harris Co though. Republicans can math like me too. Turnout is high. The magic total voting number for Biden is 11.5M; Hagar 12M according to experts.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:27 am I voted three weeks ago. I feel optimistic about Texas. 40 percent registered Democrats. 39 percent registered GOP. 21 percent I. Independents have broken to Biden by about eight percent. Some GOP disaffection. More than the other way. 17 million registered voters, about 10M already voted. Even figuring a same day advantage for Trump today of 55-45, my calculation is 6.2M Biden to 5.95M Trump. Hagar though does not seem to inspire independents unfortunately. Hope she surprises.

The turnout already explains the desperate gambit on Harris Co though. Republicans can math like me too. Turnout is high. The magic total voting number for Biden is 11.5M; Hagar 12M according to experts.
I said this in another thread, but it would make me incalculably happy if Trump's chances are stillborn tonight because the GOP took Texas for granted.
Deleted User 289

Friend of mine is a poll watcher in Milwaukee. "Hired" by the city.
He just told me this....

Kindness and citizenship should be the watchwords today. Unfortunately we're also being trained to expect people with guns, which has nothing to do with either of those things. Based on where I'm posted I think that might end up being part of the landscape today. I truly hope not.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 am Friend of mine is a poll watcher in Milwaukee. "Hired" by the city.
He just told me this....

Kindness and citizenship should be the watchwords today. Unfortunately we're also being trained to expect people with guns, which has nothing to do with either of those things. Based on where I'm posted I think that might end up being part of the landscape today. I truly hope not.
What exactly will they do, if they're not there already?

Since the rule is if you're in line at 7pm, you can vote, is the play to block access at like 6pm?