This is a important moment for GOP leaders in congress

Ugh.
Deleted User 310

This is a important moment for GOP leaders in congress

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I am hopeful they come out and congratulate Biden as soon as it is evident he has won (which i think we are approaching or have come to).

Their response will go a long way towards restoring any faith in the process that the future former president is trying to erode.

It will also go a long way towards restoring or establishing that they will operate in good faith with Biden as the president.

I think this will be an opportunity for them to repair some of the damage and divide created the last 4 years.
NewtonHawk11

Re: This is a important moment for GOP leaders in congress

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Exactly. At a certain point the GOP is going to split with Trump. It depends on when, how gracefully they do so and do they do a clean break.

They had new life to their party with Trump, now they need to blend the Trump party enthusiasm with actual GOP general principles.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think that Biden's administration will be open to that ( compromise to a degree ).
Certainly more open than the previous.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:29 pm I am hopeful they come out and congratulate Biden as soon as it is evident he has won (which i think we are approaching or have come to).

Their response will go a long way towards restoring any faith in the process that the future former president is trying to erode.

It will also go a long way towards restoring or establishing that they will operate in good faith with Biden as the president.

I think this will be an opportunity for them to repair some of the damage and divide created the last 4 years.
I would like this to happen. But that would require a degree of good faith that hasn't been exhibited in some time.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:55 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:29 pm I am hopeful they come out and congratulate Biden as soon as it is evident he has won (which i think we are approaching or have come to).

I would like this to happen. But that would require a degree of good faith that hasn't been exhibited in some time.
Even Mitch spoke out against the president and said there would be a peaceful transition of power.

I understand your hate for the GOP. They have done more than enough to warrant your doubt...but they are probably more eager than they have let on to break from trump.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:01 pm

Even Mitch spoke out against the president and said there would be a peaceful transition of power.

I understand your hate for the GOP. They have done more than enough to warrant your doubt...but they are probably more eager than they have let on to break from trump.
I would like that. I also know McConnell is one of the shrewdest politicians in American history. Whatever he offers, there's a reason.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:08 pm

I would like that. I also know McConnell is one of the shrewdest politicians in American history. Whatever he offers, there's a reason.
Absolutely. He needs to go just as much as trump did/does.

But i do not think all of the others have nearly as nefarious intentions as the last 4 years have led many to believe.

Either way, glad the nightmare is over. Biden will at least attempt to repair the great divide within our country. He may not succeed (likely won't), but he will try. And that is more than anyone can say about trump.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:20 pm
jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Absolutely. He needs to go just as much as trump did/does.

But i do not think all of the others have nearly as nefarious intentions as the last 4 years have led many to believe.

Either way, glad the nightmare is over. Biden will at least attempt to repair the great divide within our country. He may not succeed (likely won't), but he will try. And that is more than anyone can say about trump.
I dont consider "shameless self preservation at all costs to personal integrity" to be nefarious so I agree. But I fully expect McConnell to impede Biden at every opportunity. Even if Trump loses, his base is still a larger chunk of the Republican electorate than Republicans who don't support Trump.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Illi - I assume you do realize 3 things.
1) It ain't over till it's over.
2) In Trump's brain - it ain't over till HE says it's over.
3) We may be waiting a loooooooong time before WE know it's over.

I also assume you realize that a a lot of Republicans have already worked in some capacity with Biden and of course I could be wrong but my guess is most of them if it wasn't for party affiliation - like Biden.
The question is how many of them would actually be relieved if Biden won so they can stop pretending they support and tolerate the current piece of shit human being that is our President.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:53 pm Illi - I assume you do realize 3 things.
1) It ain't over till it's over.
2) In Trump's brain - it ain't over till HE says it's over.
3) We may be waiting a loooooooong time before WE know it's over.

I also assume you realize that a a lot of Republicans have already worked in some capacity with Biden and of course I could be wrong but my guess is most of them if it wasn't for party affiliation - like Biden.
The question is how many of them would actually be relieved if Biden won so they can stop pretending they support and tolerate the current piece of shit human being that is our President.
1) for all intents and purposes, this is over imo.

2) trumps brain doesn't matter in this instance. He can go quietly with whatever small amount of dignity he has left, or he can go kicking and screaming. Either way, he gone.

3) sure, we may be waiting until friday before officially knowing....but i am confident Biden has this in the bag. I don't envision trump flipping nevada.

Yes, even Tucker Carlson said last night that whether or not he agrees with all his political stances that he has known Biden a long time and that nobody can say he isn't a good person with a good heart.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Nevada hasn't been called because you can't call a state with a <8k margin. But it is highly unlikely that what's left to count there will be less than very favorable for Biden.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:54 pm Nevada hasn't been called because you can't call a state with a <8k margin. But it is highly unlikely that what's left to count there will be less than very favorable for Biden.
They also aren't giving an update until tomorrow.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Nevada: famous for being bad at counting?
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:08 pm Nevada: famous for being bad at counting?
Cnn says they will update tonight on their ticker...but the cnn reporter in las vegas just said she was told they won't give the final count until tomorrow.
Deleted User 310

Atlanta says they will be done tonight. There are 142k votes left is what i think he said if i am understanding him correctly....and they are thru 106k of them....but once that batch is done it still has to be adjudicated before the results can be published. Or something like that LOL
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:13 pm Atlanta says they will be done tonight. There are 142k votes left is what i think he said if i am understanding him correctly....and they are thru 106k of them....but once that batch is done it still has to be adjudicated before the results can be published.
It's going to be razor-thin in Georgia. Pennsylvania, perhaps not so much.
Deleted User 310

Sorry we are in the wrong thread...but oh well. It'll get the job done.
Deleted User 310

The moment for GOP leaders to speak out against the nonsense is upon us.

Rick Santorum just said some powerful words on CNN speaking against Trump. Van Jones was emotional in thanking him.

Here is the chance for the leaders on the right to do the right thing.

If there was fraud then investigate it absolutely...but counting mail in votes is not fraud.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Kinzinger in IL, Romney, a few other stragglers doing the right thing... The usual suspects
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Good time to be seen as reasonable after Trump tantrums