Contributor

Re: Dogs

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:00 pm
Shirley wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:32 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:25 pm sad situations

https://www.ksl.com/article/50715054/mo ... timpanogos#
^^^

Saw that story yesterday. Hard to believe.
I dunno, can't blame the goats really. Trapped on a ridge? With a kid? They perceive the dog a potential predator.
couldn’t agree more

recall training is so important. otherwise owners gotta keep their them leashed

these are times i love having cattle dogs. they listen (if trained) and stay close
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anyone else remember one of the best members of .com ever, Pom?

https://youtu.be/ukLCpNLjIWE?si=SjLMXe3z8EjIfHv2
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I do remember Pom. Great guy and a horrific story. Hate to see it repeated.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:56 am I do remember Pom. Great guy and a horrific story. Hate to see it repeated.
I really miss him.

Here's a reply of Pom's, a nugget I liked so much, I saved:

"A string of stereotypes does not amount to an argument. Straw men don't lend strength to it, either.

(Quantifiers such as "all" and "everything" cannot be logically justified in empirical propositions since they claim a false universality which a single counter-example invalidates.)"

#classicPom
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Of course, because the dum never stops, and lord knows, there's plenty of dum to go around.

And, what's so bad about rabies, anyway?

Vaccine hesitancy has gone to the dogs ... literally

Vaccine hesitancy isn’t unique to the COVID-19 vaccines—and it’s not unique to human vaccines, either.

A recent survey found that a slight majority of dog owners may express canine vaccine hesitancy (CVH). The survey heard from more than 900 dog owners, 53% of whom said they considered vaccines administered to dogs to be unsafe, ineffective, and/or unnecessary. 37% 1`1``of this group believed that canine vaccines could cause their dogs to develop cognitive changes, such as “canine autism.”

...Rabies is an often-deadly disease that can strike mammals, including wildlife, pets, and humans. Humans can develop rabies if they are bitten by a rabid animal—and human exposure to rabid dogs is the leading cause of nearly all human rabies deaths worldwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Dog rabies is significantly less common in the United States than in some other countries, largely due to laws requiring dogs to be vaccinated for rabies. Currently, dogs make up 1% of rabid animals reported each year in the US, according to the CDC. (Bats are the leading cause of human rabies deaths in the US.)

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Yesterday after work my wife comes upstairs from her office in the basement looking freaked out. "There's a chipmunk in the basement!"

So I call the dog and take her to the basement, point to areas to sniff around, and it runs out. After about 45 seconds it's over, the chipmunk problem is gone, and my dog is very proud of herself, and I am a proud dogfather.

What do people do in this situation if they don't have a dog?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Use their cat.

What do i win?
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

You have pretty hands, Trad.
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

With my last dog we always used to joke that would be her dream in life - let a squirrel loose in our house. She had stronger hunting desire than the new dog, but never caught anything but voles.

New dog doesn't have as strong an instinct, but when she decides to do it, she's really good.

It's a little weird because we don't hunt.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:00 am With my last dog we always used to joke that would be her dream in life - let a squirrel loose in our house. She had stronger hunting desire than the new dog, but never caught anything but voles.

New dog doesn't have as strong an instinct, but when she decides to do it, she's really good.

It's a little weird because we don't hunt.
... If they have a high prey drive, these dogs enjoy hunting so much that they’ll try to hunt rather than do almost any other behavior...

Predation is an instinctive, natural behavior, and it’s found in all dogs to a certain extent. Breeds bred for their hunting skills, such as Hounds, Terriers, Sporting, and Herding breeds, commonly have strong prey drives. Some dogs may live purely for the thrill of the chase, while others want to catch and kill their target.

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

mjl2 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:37 pm Yesterday after work my wife comes upstairs from her office in the basement looking freaked out. "There's a chipmunk in the basement!"

So I call the dog and take her to the basement, point to areas to sniff around, and it runs out. After about 45 seconds it's over, the chipmunk problem is gone, and my dog is very proud of herself, and I am a proud dogfather.

What do people do in this situation if they don't have a dog?
There was a mouse that once got all full of itself and ran around our living room. Hid under a large cabinet. I put my daughters' 5 foot long corn snake under the corner of the cabinet. In a few seconds there was a scuffling noise. The snake came out from under the cabinet shortly thereafter with a belly bulge and ready for a nap. My dog would have stomped it to death but he couldn't squeeze under the cabinet.

Do not pick up live rodents.

Annie has a bad habit of trying to save animals in distress that should not be fucked with. We have a saying in our house, "soft hearts lead to soft tissue wounds". She helped a bat out of a building this Spring. She had on thick leather gloves. The little fucker bit through the glove and drew blood just before she released it. She came home from work that day with something like a dozen syringe marks in a circle around her waist. That was the first dose of rabies vaccine. There were a couple more trips to the doctor for the second and third dose. The vets bill was $16,000. Your health insurance probably does not cover these emergency rabies shots in case you are wondering.

The upside is she is bulletproof with regards to animal bites for something like two years.

The downside is she knows that.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Lol.

Using a snake instead of a dog here is pretty phenomenal
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

you all crack me up
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We had a run of a couple mice caught by our cat a little over a month ago.
I was in my office and I heard a scratching noise in one of our kitchen closets -- figured, another god damn mouse - so I went outside and called my cat in to take care of it.

Open the door and on the floor of the closet is this fucking bat, wingspan outstretched.
The cat says oh hell no ( don't blame him ).

Slam the door. Grab a big plastic bin. Open door and get lucky and get the bin right on that bat.
Slide bin on floor with terrifying screeching bat, looking up at me through the plastic, to sliding door, open sliding door, kick bin out, bat flies away.

( had pest control person come - has no idea how the bat got in as screening around seams all looks intact - no signs of colony - no guano )
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We have had to remove raccoons from our attic a couple of times.

Pro tip, if you remove a vent to your attic to see if there is a raccoon family up there, do not stick your head through the vent hole first. The growling noise and the glowing eyes coming at you fast in the dark is an indicator of bad things and dropping your head out of a smallish hole in desperation can also lead to soft tissue injury.

Most recently in our Colorado Springs house, there was a noise over night in the attic. In the morning a can light pops out of its ring in the kitchen and a fuckin raccoon sticks its head through the hole to check shit out.

We call the professionals in for the big rodents. They live trapped it and hauled it away. We put metal screening on the inside of the roof vent where the bastard had bent the louvers to get inside. Two weeks ago I was cleaning out the gutters out there and trimming limbs back from the roof. I noticed signs that something had been pulling on the vent louver again. The metal screen stopped them in their tracks this time. Raccoons are persistent and they are destructive. I cover a vent up once in KC roof eaves to keep them out. They came back in the night and chewed a hole in the 1 inch thick eave board around my blockade. If you live near a large river like the Missouri, release them on the opposite shore of the river.

Luckily we don't have bears or mountain lions like we did in Pagosa Springs and Lakewood.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Shirley wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:45 pm Use their cat.

What do i win?
My money is on the cat.
They never lose their predatory instincts...some of them just get too fat to care.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Number of Deaths Resulting from Being Bitten or Struck by a Dog,* by Sex — National Vital Statistics System, United States, 2011–2021

During 2011–2021, a total of 468 deaths from being bitten or struck by a dog occurred (average = 43 deaths per year). The annual number of deaths ranged from 31 (2016) to 81 (2021). During 2011–2016, more deaths occurred among males than among females during most years; however, during 2017–2021, more deaths occurred among females than among males. From 2018 to 2021, deaths more than doubled for both males (from 15 to 37) and females (from 20 to 44).

(Does not include deaths due to rabies secondary to dog bites.)

Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Forgive me. I don't get it. To me, that dog was no more dancing than it was taking a dump.

Came home from work tonight. Good looking girl with a Pit waiting for the elevator along with a lot of other people. People were afraid to get in the elevator with the dog. Dog seemed to be one of the most well trained dogs I have witnessed in our building. Got in the elevator with the girl and the dog and two Asian kids (young 20s) who were loving the dog and his look. I asked the girl if I could pet him and she said yes but I may become his new best friend if I do. I pet him, he looked at me, smiled, and cuddled up next to me. He is now one of my 5 favorite dogs in the building.
I admit I am still a bit leery of Pits but the majority of them that I see in the area I live seem to be some of the most calm and well behaved dogs.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.