Uncle Joe

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:35 am Talk to me in October and early November.
Looking at the chart, is it supposed to be telling me I would be foolish not to buy some long term (Sept/Jan/March2025) puts?
If you think companies like Tesla, Meta, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Nvidia, Google, i.e., the "Magnificent Seven", which are all among the 10 top holdings in the Nasdaq 100, are going to lose value, that would be a good idea. The problem is, AI has caught the imagination of investors and as it ramps up it's hard to see these co.s not benefitting.

But, they can't go up forever and seem overpriced, so they're due for a big exhale, we just don't know when.

The other problem, (as you know), would be that long puts suffer from time decay so you'd have a deteriorating asset. Which is one reason why, generally speaking, I prefer to be an option seller, where time works in my favor. Selling puts you're not as likely to get "rich", but also less likely to suffer a large loss. (I only sell cash-secured puts, never naked puts.) With a longer time horizon you can try to hit more home runs, but my risk tolerance is necessarily low considering I'm no longer working, i.e., in the "accumulation phase" of life. But, nonetheless, I actively trade ~ 40% of my total worth, using verticals, iron condors, cash-secured puts, and covered calls, which some people would not necessarily characterize as "risk averse".
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

NICE! You know what you're talking about - a lot more than I do. That's my being honest and sincere.

I have been told AI is helping to drive up the market/indexes.
I would NOT buy Puts in AI companies but of course as you said, they can't go up forever. Conundrum?
As far as the Put/s investment I mentioned, I can't lose more than I invest. Unlimited upside. Unfortunately other than my 401K, I don't have any substantial "disposable income" to risk/invest. Maybe I should be saying fortunately and not unfortunately?

Back to Joey bag of sagging nuts....
First few things I saw when I typed in Joe Biden on X/Twitter...

Joey being blamed for not ending the war in Gaza/Isreal.
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status ... 8065545614

Hunter's and his corruption.
https://twitter.com/TomFitton/status/17 ... 8648982562

Joey basically being accused of going to the border only because Donny went to the border - and looking like frail shit.
https://twitter.com/BigFish3000/status/ ... 5692693745

Joey being criticized for being overly emotional about George Floyd but not giving a shit about Laken Riley.
https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 2457097672

Say what you will but I am wondering - should I come to the conclusion that I should be more afraid that Elon Musk has a LOT of power or that Joey isn't as popular as people like to think he is? Neither are good for his (and our country's?) future.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 am NICE! You know what you're talking about - a lot more than I do. That's my being honest and sincere.

I have been told AI is helping to drive up the market/indexes.
I would NOT buy Puts in AI companies but of course as you said, they can't go up forever. Conundrum?
As far as the Put/s investment I mentioned, I can't lose more than I invest. Unlimited upside. Unfortunately other than my 401K, I don't have any substantial "disposable income" to risk/invest. Maybe I should be saying fortunately and not unfortunately?

Back to Joey bag of sagging nuts....
First few things I saw when I typed in Joe Biden on X/Twitter...

Joey being blamed for not ending the war in Gaza/Isreal.
https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status ... 8065545614

Hunter's and his corruption.
https://twitter.com/TomFitton/status/17 ... 8648982562

Joey basically being accused of going to the border only because Donny went to the border - and looking like frail shit.
https://twitter.com/BigFish3000/status/ ... 5692693745

Joey being criticized for being overly emotional about George Floyd but not giving a shit about Laken Riley.
https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/status/ ... 2457097672

Say what you will but I am wondering - should I come to the conclusion that I should be more afraid that Elon Musk has a LOT of power or that Joey isn't as popular as people like to think he is? Neither are good for his (and our country's?) future.
The search engine in twitter has unquestionably swayed more Republican in the last few months. The number of things that spout Republican viewpoints that pop up on my feed that are not driven by anyone I follow, view or search for has increased tremendously.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Did yall see that bigass fence biden put up to secure the area before his state of the union address? Seems a lot like the concept of a border wall if u ask me

Now who's ready to watch biden tell us that anyone that doesn't vote for him is a threat to democracy
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Thank, President Biden, again:

Today's trading session saw a significant uptick, with the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite climbing to new all-time highs, marking a 1.0% and 1.5% increase respectively. This week, the S&P 500 has seen a 0.4% rise, while the Nasdaq has balanced out after a slower start. The upward trend was fueled by the previous day's momentum and was further supported by strong performances in mega cap stocks and the semiconductor sector.

Market breadth was positive, with advancing issues outnumbering declining ones at both the NYSE and Nasdaq. The information technology and communication services sectors led the gains, up 1.9% and 1.8% respectively, while financials and real estate sectors experienced minor setbacks...

Federal Reserve Chair Powell's recent comments to the Senate Banking Committee, which aligned with expectations for potential rate cuts later this year, provided some market relief. Similar expectations are set for the European Central Bank, adding to the positive market sentiment...
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today in: Thanks President Joe Biden,

again!

Heather Long
@byHeatherLong

JUST IN: Another strong jobs report. The US economy added 275,000 jobs in February as the hiring boom continues. (Hiring was 229k in January and 290k in December.)

Unemployment rate: 3.9% —> It’s been below 4% for two years

Wages: 4.3% in past year (above 3.1% inflation)

Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... union/amp/

Biden to announce US military-led mission to build port on Gaza coast to boost aid
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:25 pm https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... union/amp/

Biden to announce US military-led mission to build port on Gaza coast to boost aid
What's the over/under Biden will put razor blades in the food?
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

38,000 meals delivered. For, what, almost 2 million people. So like 1 in every 50 or so Gazans got to have breakfast. And assuming they weren’t shot or bombed as they seek the aid. Wut a feel-good story! Biden the humanitarian!

But the real lulz is more that maybe Gaza wouldn’t need so much aid if Biden wasn’t providing the weapons being used to kill and displace them in the first place, whether Congress authorizes him to or not. That’s quite the irony.

I’m also curious whether that U.S. military-led port is gonna just magically disappear once Israel like totally gives all the land back in Gaza that they otherwise leveled.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:04 pm 38,000 meals delivered. For, what, almost 2 million people. So like 1 in every 50 or so Gazans got to have breakfast. And assuming they weren’t shot or bombed as they seek the aid. Wut a feel-good story! Biden the humanitarian!

But the real lulz is more that maybe Gaza wouldn’t need so much aid if Biden wasn’t providing the weapons being used to kill and displace them in the first place, whether Congress authorizes him to or not. That’s quite the irony.

I’m also curious whether that U.S. military-led port is gonna just magically disappear once Israel like totally gives all the land back in Gaza that they otherwise leveled.
Your “curiosity” must be slowly eating you alive.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes, I’ve criticized Hamas too, but sorry if it hasn’t been enough for your liking. If I may take another opportunity - fuck Hamas and their bullshit aggression. Better?

But what is Hamas supposed to do to provide for Gazans now, just like door dash some more meals in or something? Tell the delivery dood to just leave some hummus for Hamas on the doorstep of the Erez crossing, ok sure. Israel’s cornered almost 2 million people into a refugee camp here, and continues to bomb them anyway.

Point is, Israel also DENIES things to the citizens of Gaza that I’m not sure Hamas is even able to provide.

And while Hamas’s aggression should rightfully be condemned, I’m afraid it still pales in comparison to Israel’s aggression before/during/after/contemporaneous to all this - including for decades before Hamas even existed. Do we really think Hamas was created in a vacuum? Heck, do we really think all this Israeli aggression is still just about Hamas?!

And, I still think that a Hamas by any other color could very well be getting the “freedom fighter” treatment in a hurry, terrorist tactics be damned.

But, more to the point of this thread - while I’ve criticized the U.S. AND Israel AND Hamas, another big difference is, it’s not like your and my tax dollars are furnishing weapons for Hamas.

And if Israel could have destroyed all of the Gaza Strip without the USA providing them with weapons, it kinda makes you wonder why the USA and Uncle Joe in particular have been so keen on providing them with more and more weapons anyway…it’s a bunch of ragtag fighters on paragliders taking on a goddamn nuclear power, for fuck’s sake.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang, that was a response to somebody’s post might that I think might have been deleted.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: How can the Fed lower rates when the economy keeps doing so well?

Thanks, Joe!

From Seekingalpha

Housing starts and building permits bounce back more than expected in February

Housing Starts jumped 10.7% M/M to 1.521M in February, compared with the 1.449M expected and 1.374M in January (revised from 1.331M). That came after a 14.8% slump in January and represents an increase of 5.9% from the February 2023 rate of 1.129M.

Single-family housing starts came in at rate of 1.129M, up 11.6% from the revised January figure of 1.012M.

Building permits rose 1.9% M/M in February to 1.518M, compared with the 1.500M consensus and 1.489M prior (revised from 1.470M).

Single-family authorizations were at a rate of 1.031M, or 1.0% higher than the revised January print of 1.021M, the U.S. Census Bureau said on Tuesday.

The expectation that the Federal Reserve is likely to cut rates later this year likely makes homebuilders optimistic that mortgage rates, too, will decline. "Lower mortgage rates are likely to bring buyers to the market in larger numbers, and builders are ramping up supply to meet this demand," said Kelly Mangold of RCLCO Real Estate Consulting.

And as home affordability remains challenged, there are some signs that builders are adjusting products to promote sales. "Hew home size has been trending downward over the past several years as pricing and monthly payments continue to rise," Mangold said.
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

And this is gonna help too.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/tl-d ... 01580.html

I am feeling a bulge coming on it my net worth.

This would seem like a good time to talk about some tax cuts that would be favorable to me.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

In other news today, the S&P 500 closed at an all-time high!

I know, since Biden's been President, what else is new?
Anand Giridharadas
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I got my stock valuation letter today. This valuation is the basis for my partnership buy out. My stock value went up 38% in the last year.

Let's Fucking Go Brandon!

Thank you President Biden, greatest president of my lifetime.

Is now a good time to talk about a reduction in capital gains tax rates?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I guess the tar and feathering of one of our fellow Jayhawks distracted everyone so thoroughly, no one bothered to point out that all three of the major stock indexes closed at all-time highs yesterday.

Thanks, Joe! (So Much Winning!)

From Forbes:

3 Major Indexes Hit Closing Records as Markets Party On

The Dow Jones Industrial Average, S&P 500, and the Nasdaq Composite marked record closes Wednesday for the first time since 2021. The Dow closed 400 points higher, or 1%. The S&P 500 rose 0.9%, marking back-to-back record closes. The tech-heavy Nasdaq rose 1.3%.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I dunno.

This thread -- and real life -- always makes me think of this:

https://youtu.be/vAksyiSPm5s?t=42
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Old Joe is a comfort food, a plate of fried chicken with a side of mashed potatoes.

Especially when you compare it to the current Rubepublican sitcom....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o6-bi3jlxk

Four more years without NeoNazis in the White House!

It's kinda catchy.