Uncle Joe

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by ousdahl »

Wait!

Yea…

…maybe he’s just giving us the coy treatment again?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:20 am Ok, perhaps.

Then why didn’t more moderate rights speak up against him?
Plenty did....but for many others it was a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Defeating Dems was their ultimate objective so they held their nose and tolerated trump (and continue to tolerate him).

Plenty of reasonable republicans can't stand trump the person even if they like some/much of the trump policies.

Different, but similar on the left. There is a very vocal 15% far left who tend to drive the mainstream media narrative about what the left wants (wokeness, defund the police, etc.), even though the majority of Dems are likely more moderate than that...but that doesn't stop the fox news types from projecting that onto the entire left in an effort to push a narrative and captivate their target audience against a common enemy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Moving right along…

Uncle Joe being criticized by W for withdrawing troops in Afghanistan lulz
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:35 pm Moving right along…

Now that's a healthy debate. And it shows where politics and the parties are.

The parties are re-aligning into populists vs realists. This is a good internal debate for the realist party. Populist party will be interesting because they were for this withdrawal when Trump and Bernie wanted it, but now that Biden is doing it they will probably change their minds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

wasn’t there a poster proclaiming that a Biden administration would usher in more wars, not less?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:34 pm

The parties are re-aligning into populists vs realists. This is a good internal debate for the realist party. Populist party will be interesting because they were for this withdrawal when Trump and Bernie wanted it, but now that Biden is doing it they will probably change their minds.
Interesting distinction. Do you consider one party or the other to be more populist or more realist, or is this broader than pub v. dem?
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:52 am i know i’m supposed to “hate” everything republican and that i think that Biden is the second coming of Christ and is beyond reproach, but...

i think it’s absurd that we’re now paying people that have kids, and that Biden wants to extend this payment beyond this year

a tax credit is one thing, sending them checks just cuz they’ve got kids (even if they don’t need the money...where have we heard this before) is ridiculous

if you can’t afford to have kids, don’t have em
I think these checks are just a different way to receive those tax credits we get as part of our tax returns, no? So instead of getting a 'bigger' check after filing your taxes, you get a monthly check through the end of the year.

The biggest problem that could, and most likely will, arise from this is the fact that the majority of Americans can't/don't read and will be completely surprised when their refund check is small and/or they end up owing taxes next year.
Deleted User 89

kubowler99 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:03 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:52 am i know i’m supposed to “hate” everything republican and that i think that Biden is the second coming of Christ and is beyond reproach, but...

i think it’s absurd that we’re now paying people that have kids, and that Biden wants to extend this payment beyond this year

a tax credit is one thing, sending them checks just cuz they’ve got kids (even if they don’t need the money...where have we heard this before) is ridiculous

I think these checks are just a different way to receive those tax credits we get as part of our tax returns, no? So instead of getting a 'bigger' check after filing your taxes, you get a monthly check through the end of the year.

The biggest problem that could, and most likely will, arise from this is the fact that the majority of Americans can't/don't read and will be completely surprised when their refund check is small and/or they end up owing taxes next year.
that’s not how i’m reading this

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-polic ... ax-credit/

The Biden administration on Thursday began the biggest anti-poverty program undertaken by the federal government in more than half a century, delivering monthly payments to the overwhelming majority of American parents for the first time.

The Treasury Department said it has sent checks to households representing about 60 million children under a provision in a stimulus package Democrats passed in March. The payments can be withdrawn Thursday but appeared in many bank accounts as early as Wednesday. The benefit, expected to cost about $120 billion per year, provides $300 per child younger than 6, as well as $250 per child age 6 and older. The administration previously said that about 88 percent of all children nationwide would receive the aid...

but this bit makes me feel a little better about it

For the vast majority of beneficiaries, or about 86 percent, the new monthly benefit will be automatically deposited into their bank accounts — with no action required. Wealthier families are excluded from the benefit. The credit diminishes for individuals with adjusted gross incomes of more than $75,000, as well as for couples earning more than $150,000, and disappears altogether for higher earners...

i think it’s a bit of both, bowler

Crucially, however, the very poorest families are eligible to receive the full benefit. Before this year, families were excluded from the credit if they did not earn enough for their income to be offset by the tax benefit. The stimulus package repealed that limitation, meaning that even Americans with no earnings would still qualify for the entire deposit amount. The benefit was also made larger and will go out monthly, instead of when taxpayers reconcile their tax returns. These changes are set to expire at the end of the year, although Democrats in Congress are preparing a $3.5 trillion spending package that lawmakers hope will extend the payments...
Deleted User 863

Yes that is true.

The only situation where that isn't true are for people who make less than the total benefit would historically be able to give them because you can't have a negative adjusted gross income.

We just got our 1st direct deposit this morning. I am just sitting it in savings for now since this is the first year my wife is an independent contractor for social work/therapy/counseling, so i don't have a good feel for what she will end up owing on her portion since she doesn't have any withholdings on her paychecks.
Deleted User 863

Some of the Fox News people are losing their minds over this. It's going to be a losing issue for them. The vast majority of people getting these are like me. They pay taxes and this was already coming back in a refund in march/April next year after filing taxes. So essentially i am just getting my own money back sooner. Sounds good to me.

Yes, there are situations where i think it is problematic. But to be honest until we fix all the issues with the wealthy end of the tax code i can conveniently overlook the little guys getting a break for once.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:59 pm
Mjl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:34 pm

Interesting distinction. Do you consider one party or the other to be more populist or more realist, or is this broader than pub v. dem?
Democrats more on the realist side. I mean, look who made it out of their primary, and who made it out of the last Republican primary.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Biden administration now supposedly working with facebook to identify "problematic" posts to be flagged for removal.

Nothing to see here.....

Fuel to fire.
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 pm Biden administration now supposedly working with facebook to identify "problematic" posts to be flagged for removal.

Nothing to see here.....

Fuel to fire.
Remember when Trump wanted to shut down Tik Tok?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:35 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:57 pm Biden administration now supposedly working with facebook to identify "problematic" posts to be flagged for removal.

Nothing to see here.....

Fuel to fire.
Didn't think that was correct either.

Also, selective control of posts is a step beyond elimination of a platform entirely.
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

TDub wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:18 am

Nothing to see here.....

Fuel to fire.

Also, selective control of posts is a step beyond elimination of a platform entirely.
Huh?!
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:10 pm

Yes that is true.

The only situation where that isn't true are for people who make less than the total benefit would historically be able to give them because you can't have a negative adjusted gross income.

We just got our 1st direct deposit this morning. I am just sitting it in savings for now since this is the first year my wife is an independent contractor for social work/therapy/counseling, so i don't have a good feel for what she will end up owing on her portion since she doesn't have any withholdings on her paychecks.
Is your wife making quarterly payments towards her fed income taxes yet? If not, you probably need to talk to a tax person.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Quarterly payments are important. That will save her at least the 10% late tax penalty.
Deleted User 863

Ya. What a racket. They penalize you for not giving your money to them ahead of time. LOL. Gotta love it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

sdoyel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:49 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:18 am

Huh?!
You can't read?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Biden calls on cuomo to resign...better late than never i guess