At the very least, the memes are good
ousdahl

Re: $600

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well unemployment bumps 300 a week. That comes out of that number too. So about 15.5 billion a month more for 5? Months. So another's 70 billion there. Also added unemployment options for self employed that cant claim traditional benefits.

It doesnt add up to 900 billion but its more than what that tweet is allowing
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You know, I hope they used the omnibus budget opportunity to insanely prosecute copyright violating streaming content. I pray every day that large corporations squeeze us all to death.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We're gonna be paying that $3 trillion back....with interest... for a decade or more. Get 600 now. Pay 20k later. Its a shitty credit card.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's even worse than that since anyone making over 75k won't get the $600.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

So....why does Israel get $500 million in our covid relief bill again?

Also....why a tax break for racehorse owners (congrats gutter) in this bill?
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also not mentioned is that this money doesnt exist. Its just a an item in a long list of monies created out od thin air and added to the debt (not the least of which are the infusions of moneydumped into propping up the market to continue the perception of a growing economy....shell games. Debt which, through no fault of our own, will be collected from us while also damaging the dollars value, reducing our buying power and setting ourselves up for a decade of stagflation and real recession/depression. The impacts of covid arent all tallied on gurneys.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, PhD and TDub, are we like, agreeing, you guys?

*sings kumbaya*
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but yeah, not sure how many people are actually receiving the $600. Or how many people - what, 9 months into a pandemic? - are still eligible for unemployment in the first place, so as to be eligible for that extra $300.

Either way, and despite being the richest country in the history of anything, bear in mind this is still peanuts compared to what most other developed countries have done to support their citizens.

I'm sure there's some good things in the bill. I'm sure there's some rotten things, too. Trying to find an exact breakdown of the numbers, and who gets what. If anyone finds anything, please share.

I'll go out on a limb and guess, the military got billions out of this too...you know, cuz they were soo broke to begin with. and cuz, with the pandemic and the economic collapse and all the other shit that's gone down, the real biggest issue our country faces right now is not enough bombs.

In terms of a nation's values, how the eff did we get here? Hardly anyone questions handouts to war mongers and billionaires, yet the single moms working three jobs trying to keep her kids fed are the ones who are supposed to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps. Between those two, guess who's more likely to be labeled the freeloader?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

there's also this angle to it.

but, bear in mind, in Merica, this is the kind of shit gets you labeled as a radical:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1341146432565329922?s=20
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:07 am So....why does Israel get $500 million in our covid relief bill again?

Because racehorse owners in Kentucky put McConnell in office?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:07 am So....why does Israel get $500 million in our covid relief bill again?

Other than pittances of direct payments, the entire bill is an exercise in (known-to-be-failed) supply-side economics.

It's one thing to stimulate on the supply side with massive projects that (a) can really only be done by federal government and (b) have meaningful, direct impacts (like infrastructure or broad-scale climate change mitigation efforts).

It's another to just fund dozens and dozens of pet projects, like museums or shit, at $10mm per.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The return of the "three martini lunch" is worth more than a $600 check to the top 1%.

I think I should have lunch with Leawood more often next year.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I sense a lot of streaming felons on here. Streaming felony kept me awake at night worrying that Trump would not have enough bandwidth to start a war over Twitter. Thank God for the omnibus budget!! Thank God we can be unknowingly arrested for unconstitutional pork they larded it with. Josef K is going our way!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:12 am but yeah, not sure how many people are actually receiving the $600. Or how many people - what, 9 months into a pandemic? - are still eligible for unemployment in the first place, so as to be eligible for that extra $300.

Either way, and despite being the richest country in the history of anything, bear in mind this is still peanuts compared to what most other developed countries have done to support their citizens.

I'm sure there's some good things in the bill. I'm sure there's some rotten things, too. Trying to find an exact breakdown of the numbers, and who gets what. If anyone finds anything, please share.

I'll go out on a limb and guess, the military got billions out of this too...you know, cuz they were soo broke to begin with. and cuz, with the pandemic and the economic collapse and all the other shit that's gone down, the real biggest issue our country faces right now is not enough bombs.

In terms of a nation's values, how the eff did we get here? Hardly anyone questions handouts to war mongers and billionaires, yet the single moms working three jobs trying to keep her kids fed are the ones who are supposed to pick themselves up by their own bootstraps. Between those two, guess who's more likely to be labeled the freeloader?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... ill-449499
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Also apparently a section dealing with the potential reincarnation of the Dalai Lama? Someone get into Japhys stashy or is there something we should know from the great beyond, long past this mortal coil? Id like to hear the details on that if possible...unfortunately fresh out of peyote
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:59 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:12 am but yeah, not sure how many people are actually receiving the $600. Or how many people - what, 9 months into a pandemic? - are still eligible for unemployment in the first place, so as to be eligible for that extra $300.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politi ... ill-449499
two things stand out

1) i’m assuming funeral costs will be geared towards the most economic option...cremation

2) i’m signing up now for my ride on the new submarine, since that’s definitely what this country needs right now
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

All these stimulus bills do is provide an avenue for misplaced funding to get hidden under the guise of national assistance. Wish i could opt out...i want no part of this carnival. The amount of help provided is worthless on a practical basis and the debt saddled will outweigh any potential benefit.

Bread and a circus...keep the mobs at bay. An accelerated descent into financial chaos builds. Rome, i look to you for our failure.

Shouldve focused on specific help, specific assistance, virus control, indvidual retail and restaurant assistance and job creation. All while pulling funds from existing sources to alleviate the concern of increased national obligation.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:05 pm All these stimulus bills do is provide an avenue for misplaced funding to get hidden under the guise of national assistance. Wish i could opt out...i want no part of this carnival. The amount of help provided is worthless on a practical basis and the debt saddled will outweigh any potential benefit.

Bread and a circus...keep the mobs at bay. An accelerated descent into financial chaos builds. Rome, i look to you for our failure.

Shouldve focused on specific help, specific assistance, virus control, indvidual retail and restaurant assistance and job creation. All while pulling funds from existing sources to alleviate the concern of increased national obligation.
That would require grown ups.
Defense. Rebounds.