Pizza

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Pizza

Post by ousdahl »

one of my best fishing buddy's (now ex) wife was the same way, but more so with vodka than pizza.

She'd loose her mind about gluten in her drink. And homegirl liked to drink.

She insisted on some fancy expensive vodka marketed as "gluten-free" (never mind that there's no gluten in any liquor, this isn't about facts here). But the thing is, if presented with non-gluten-free vodka, she wouldn't NOT drink it. She'd still down a whole bottle by herself, then the next morning, go full sea hag about how the only possible explanation to her pain and suffering must be a bad reaction to the gluten.

So he starts ponying up for her preferred bottle of fancy "gluten-free" shit. She'd still drink the whole bottle by herself, and still go full sea hag the next morning, but with no gluten to scapegoat she'd have to concede it was just a hangover. But, it couldn't be! Who snuck the gluten vodka in her gluten-free bottle again?

And if you did something outrageous like suggest maybe it wasn't a gluten issue so much as a HOMEGIRL YOU'RE DRINKING WHOLE BOTTLES OF VODKA BY YOURSELF issue...long story short, like I said, now ex wife.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:37 pm Any opinions on limestone pizza? Seems we're getting some on Sunday.
My neighbors, Charlie and Debbie (RIP Charlie), own it, and Charlie was also instrumental in starting Wheatfields in the early 90s. The dough is a special recipe by another neighbor who was the head baker at Wheatfields. The stone oven was laid by another friend and is a pretty spectacular part of the Limestone presentation. The pies are very good and if you're not interested in what they offer on the menu, you can design your own. I've eaten there a half dozen times and have enjoyed each meal. About three months ago I asked Debbie if she would consider adding a sourdough crust to the menu, and she could use my starter. She didn't seem real keen on that. Anyway, I think that my homemade sourdough pizzas, which I grill, are as good/better than Limestone, but eating it in my courtyard doesn't offer the social ambience that Limestone has. I, too, prefer Papa Keno's.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thanks
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

3 Barrels Brewery.
Monte Vista, Co

Damn good pizza
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Limestone tonight in Larryville. Basic Neopoliton pizza. I liked it. Thin crust, nice char. I'd hit it again.
Defense. Rebounds.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Sounds like a nice lady.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:37 pm Sounds like a nice lady.
You just have to try to ignore the crust.

And, try not to think of what caused it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Extra cheese is always an issue
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Sparko with some gold!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have had chain pizza twice this week. It's not something I usually eat but one was a work lunch and the other was last night. Wife and kid ordered it.

Work lunch was dominoes, awful. Soft, doughy "crust". Small amount of sauce the all but disappeared. Toppings on about half of the slice. What's with the weird fake garlic seasoning on the crust. I tasted it for an hour afterwards.

Last night, wife and kid ordered papa John's. I swore them off when they went all in on screwing their employees over Ombamcare. But they have backtracked on that. Wasn't bad. Not great. Way better than dominoes. I'm not likely to order it again but it was serviceable. I do like the pepperincini, I'm afraid of the garlic dipping butter-like substance.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My homemade pizza has more so been cheesy bread lately. I serve the sauce on the side for dipping. It makes for a more consistently crispy crust. Otherwise, the sauce applied on the uncooked dough before tends to leave an uncooked soft doughy layer. Pre-cooking the dough before applying the sauce and cheese and toppings can avoid the doughiness, but just doesn’t seem to taste as good. This isn’t as much of an issue in a stone oven.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

dominos always gives me crazy heartburn

i’m a fan of papa murphy’s, personally
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dominos was good enough for a while but it's definitely dipped after they ran the "we're shitty and now we promise not to be shitty" campaign.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

7.99 for a 3-topping large pizza, it's ready in 10 minutes, and I can walk there. Plus their website is really nicely done, and, unlike with food, I'm rarely happy with UXs these days, so that's saying something.

Consider me a Domino's fan.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mjl wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:20 pm Plus their website is really nicely done, and, unlike with food, I'm rarely happy with UXs these days, so that's saying something.
Ja feel.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:20 pm 7.99 for a 3-topping large pizza, it's ready in 10 minutes, and I can walk there. Plus their website is really nicely done, and, unlike with food, I'm rarely happy with UXs these days, so that's saying something.

Consider me a Domino's fan.
Aren't you in Chicago?
Defense. Rebounds.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Lol, yes. We have another pizza place that's equally short walking distance. It costs about three times more and takes about three times longer. It's not three times better tasting.

And as far as Chicago style pizza... Meh. It's a casserole.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I like Chicago pizza casserole, I get that not everyone does. There has to be better than domino's.
Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

domino’s in Lawrence used to be awful

the one here (at least the one close to us) is decent, except for the post-meal discomfort
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not a national pizza chain guy, but if I have to choose, on average it is Dominos and Papa John's would be an only if I will die if I don't eat option. Never again on PJ's after a bad experience.

All that said, as has kind of been touched on, I believe the national pizza chain war very much depends on the particular location/franchise.