Pizza

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Pizza

Post by Shirley »

The Best Pizza Slices near Penn Station, NYC

I visited Pizzeria Suprema, the oldest pizza shop near Penn station and still one of the best in the city. Then I visited Upside pizza, a relatively new (3-4 years) pizzeria a little north of Penn station.

If I was going to send a visitor arriving in Penn station to just one, I’d say hit suprema as it’s one of the classic NY slice joints you should know. But Upside also has something to offer with a really unique and delicious take on a Sicilian/Detroit slice.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I had time for a longer lunch, I used to walk from 26th and 10th, where I worked, to Pizza Suprema ( I think on 8th or 9th and a few blocks North ) because it was the best NY slice in the area.

So that review checks out.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The Takeout: Andrew, is there such thing as Minnesota-style pizza?
Andrew Zimmern: Fuck no."
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Red's is close to me. I feel I need to check it out.

Defense. Rebounds.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Chef’s Table (Netflix) has a whole season on artisan pizza…a whole bunch of farm-to-table initiatives from across the world

i was hooked and binged the season over a weekend
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:38 am Red's is close to me. I feel I need to check it out.

Eh. Pizza Luce is where I'd go if I had one pizza meal up there.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I've seen ads for them. I need to try it.
Earlier in the thread, Japhy mentioned

https://www.pizzerialola.com/menu/

They look pretty good too.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Not a big Dominos or Papa John's fan.

I've been boycotting Papa John's a long time, but I don't recall it being very good.

I was into Minsky's when I first moved to KC, but their crust was never my favorite, too thick and not crispy.

I prefer thin crust, I'm not there for bread. Although if I know going in the crust is going to be thick, that's OK.

Of the national chains, I guess I'm a Pizza Hut person. Thin crust, super supreme.

dammit
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Give me a thin crust that has a crisp but cracks/gives enough so that I can fold the slice.
But it has to be thick enough to where it won't give out/toppings flop down when I fold it.

It's often why I don't like a Neapolitan style because the crust can be so thin ( and then charred on the bottom ) it becomes like a cracker on the bottom but then a bit watery ( because of the fresh mozz, the basil and the type of sauce/sometimes actual tomatoes ) on top.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:45 am I've seen ads for them. I need to try it.

I'd have to try that too. What esoteric pizzas.

Two that caught my eye, although there were several that looked good/interesting:

SEASONAL SPECIAL: OKTOBERFEST
mozzarella, polish and ukrainian sausage, sauerkraut, horseradish mustard aioli

LADY ZAZA
italian red sauce, sakura pork, napa kimchi**, gochujang, scallion, sesame
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Papa John's is based in Louisville. Had a pretty good friend go to work for them. BI stuff, not delivery. They ousted John so I'm not boycotting them based on him, just cuz their pizza sucks.

I can't do Domino's either. Something about the weird fake garlic on their crust. Of the chains, yeah probably da hut.
Defense. Rebounds.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Shirley wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:13 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:45 am I've seen ads for them. I need to try it.

I'd have to try that too. What esoteric pizzas.

Two that caught my eye, although there were several that looked good/interesting:

SEASONAL SPECIAL: OKTOBERFEST
mozzarella, polish and ukrainian sausage, sauerkraut, horseradish mustard aioli

LADY ZAZA
italian red sauce, sakura pork, napa kimchi**, gochujang, scallion, sesame
Lady Zaza is one of the best pizzas I ever ate. Nothing like it. Warsh it down with a Surly Furious IPA.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Among big chains, I think Pizza Hut is miles and miles better than its peers.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:38 pm Among big chains, I think Pizza Hut is miles and miles better than its peers.
Agreed. If we need cheap and fast, we'll get Pizza Hut. HyVee also does a good, cheap take and bake pizza.

Otherwise, we order Mama's Pizza here in Omaha.
https://mamaspizzaomaha.com/
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:46 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:38 pm Among big chains, I think Pizza Hut is miles and miles better than its peers.
Agreed. If we need cheap and fast, we'll get Pizza Hut. HyVee also does a good, cheap take and bake pizza.

Otherwise, we order Mama's Pizza here in Omaha.
https://mamaspizzaomaha.com/
One of the only crowd-pleasing meals in the Fish household is make-your-own-pizza night (which we just do in an air fryer oven, at max). I'd like to get into the Ooni game, but I have a hard time dropping several hundred dollars for such a limited use-case.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I haven't had Pizza Hut in 25+ years. I just looked at photos of Pizza Hut pizza. It doesn't resemble what I ate 25 years ago. Am I imagining that or is it true that they have changed their pizza significantly in the past 25 years?

If I am hungry enough, I will eat and actually enjoy pretty much any major chain pizza.
If I am not hungry enough, I will eat and feel most major chain pizza is complete garbage.

The nice thing for me is that I always keep decent frozen pizzas in my freezer. "Decent" meaning from established good pizza restaurants that sell their frozen pizzas to Chicago area grocery stores.
I would much rather eat those than garbage somewhat expensive "major chain" pizza.

On another note, when I order a medium sized pizza with a couple of toppings from a local restaurant it's at least $40 with tax and delivery. Why?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Biden
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

when heading back to Kansas one of our first stops is a Casey’s

nostalgia
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I like Spin Pizza here in KC. There is one a couple of miles from our house. It's the only place we go out for pizza in KC.

https://www.spinpizza.com

In Colorado Springs downtown we like Bambino's Pizza

https://www.bambinosurbanpizzeria.com

And Stellina Pizza which is in our Colorado Springs neighborhood.

https://www.stellinapizza.co

In the Empire our go to pizza place is Three Barrels Brewing in Del Norte.

https://www.threebarrelbrew.com

As an evil person with three homes I get to have three neighborhood pizza places. It's one of the perks, and god damnit I love my perks!

Is now a good time to talk about my idea to make pizza tax deductible?
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.