Pizza

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Pizza

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:53 am Deep dish is a casserole or pie.
It's not too far from a tomato pie.

that picture is unpike any deep dish I've ever seen. It's a thin crust with a deep filling. Thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about an actual deep dish pizza, thick crust not tomato slaw in a thin crust dough bowl.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

cast iron pan, heavy rising dough
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCgYMFtxUUw

"This is not pizza, this is tomato soup in a bread bowl."
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:26 am Pineapple too sweet/overpowering flavor for me.
Also can get moist on cooking and make the pizza wet.
Agree, by itself. As stated in Ousdahl’s ‘even my mom thinks I’m a pussy’ thread, I like pineapple combatted with peppers. Fresh jalapeños, specifically.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:51 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCgYMFtxUUw

"This is not pizza, this is tomato soup in a bread bowl."
that's also not deep dish that's something else entirely
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I feel like there are a couple kinds of deep dish. There is real deep dish, which is pizza. And then there is caricature deep dish, where the maker is making casserole as a point.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Thin crust > ‘Deep Dish’

You simply can eat more and not be a complete wreck.

That said, I love getting a Chicago-style ‘deep dish’ pizza when I’m there. A place in Denver did a pretty good approximation as well, and was a few blocks from where I lived (Wyman’s No. 5). I just looked at their menu, though, and their deep dish doesn’t look how I remember it, and they don’t seem to have their jerk wings anymore, which were absolute money.
Last edited by Back2Lawrence on Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KC peeps. How is Grinders? I’ve seen the DDD episode on it and have almost gone to a show there (I was too late in learning about it), but never stopped to eat there. Good stuffs?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:22 pm KC peeps. How is Grinders? I’ve seen the DDD episode on it and have almost gone to a show there (I was too late in learning about it), but never stopped to eat there. Good stuffs?
For what it is, it’s great, not good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There’s a QT not far from where I live. I get the pizzas from there all the time (not as good as Pizza Hut or certainly non-chain options; significantly better than other chain options). And now a Casey’s has opened nearby.

It’s ON, folks.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

when making the drive back to Kansas, Casey’s pizza is (almost without fail) always our first meal
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I ate a lot of pizza at Gambinos in Colwich, KS. My grandfather always wanted to go there, his mom was out there so I'd ride along. I'm not sure if the pizza was good or just the company but I have fond memories of Gambinos.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:40 pm I ate a lot of pizza at Gambinos in Colwich, KS. My grandfather always wanted to go there, his mom was out there so I'd ride along. I'm not sure if the pizza was good or just the company but I have fond memories of Gambinos.
A good, general rule of thumb is to NOT, as an adult, go back to the restaurants and entertainment places you went as a kid.

The exception, of course, is if you’re bringing YOUR kid(s), to see the experience through different eyes. I’ve got a lot of mileage out of that one.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Childish Gambinos.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:51 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:40 pm I ate a lot of pizza at Gambinos in Colwich, KS. My grandfather always wanted to go there, his mom was out there so I'd ride along. I'm not sure if the pizza was good or just the company but I have fond memories of Gambinos.
A good, general rule of thumb is to NOT, as an adult, go back to the restaurants and entertainment places you went as a kid.

The exception, of course, is if you’re bringing YOUR kid(s), to see the experience through different eyes. I’ve got a lot of mileage out of that one.
I've been avoiding the K using your logic.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:51 pm

I've been avoiding the K using your logic.
Did you go to any live MLB game this year? The pitch clock is a MASSIVE improvement.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

three true outcomes is worse than the pace. i enjoyed the few innings of playoff baseball i watched, with the time clock. it's not enough to save the game for me.

sucks, but it is what it is right now.

also: i wouldn't spend entertainment $$$$ on a product like the royals right now, regardless. If KU football was still 0,1,2 wins a year, I wouldn't have been at 5 games this year, as well. I know that makes me fair weather to some, but nah. It's like this thread. I'm not regularly spending premium money on shit pizza.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if i recall correctly, the parent company of Gambinos was AIFAM

draw whatever conclusion you’d like
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:04 pm Childish Gambinos.
One of the better photos I took of him.

Back to pizza.......

Top 3 Chicago area for me at the moment. It will probably change by the time I click submit.

Salerno's - Thin

Pat's - Thin

Barnaby's - Thin
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:16 pm
Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:22 pm KC peeps. How is Grinders? I’ve seen the DDD episode on it and have almost gone to a show there (I was too late in learning about it), but never stopped to eat there. Good stuffs?
For what it is, it’s great, not good.
^^^

Japhy has eaten there more than anyone I know, maybe he'll chime in. But like jfish says, for what it is, it is definitely better than good.

And although it pains me to say it, pdub is pretty much spot on about everything he's said about pizza.

Thin > > > thick.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas