Question for the gun owners on here

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Question for the gun owners on here

Post by Deleted User 289 »

It's getting to the point where I feel many if not most gun owners in this country are going to start "open carrying" regardless of what local laws may be.
Forgetting if I am right or wrong......
YOU choose to "open carry" one of your guns.
Someone walking down the street is carrying an identical gun.
They raise their weapon and point it at you.
Do you shoot him/her?
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Question for the gun owners on here

Post by jhawks99 »

I dunno gutman.
My question is, when the shootin starts, how do the cops know who is the good guy with a gun?
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 289

Good question! In my scenario the other person could be a good guy too.
We could get in to MANY scenarios.
I just wonder at what point does one decide their life MAY be in danger to the degree of being able to shoot another person who has not yet (if at all) shot at them first.
I think Plano/Jeeper may have chimed in on this in the past with some significant wisdom.
Probably easier for a law enforcement person to make that ultimate decision than it would be for me.

I'm just thinking about it tonight because I feel in the very near future there is a damn good chance MANY people who probably shouldn't be making those decisions - will be.
My biggest fear is how many "innocent" people become the victims of their decision/s.
colbond

Post by colbond »

I have no plans to ever open or concealed carry, which makes the question largely moot for me. What I can say is that the universally accepted rule is to never point a firearm at something unless you intend to shoot it. If someone points a firearm at me, I'm going to try to find a way to defend myself.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I have no plans to carry a weapon on my person.
As far as being drawn on, I have been a half dozen times.

Judgement call, each and every time.

Most folks picture themselves as Charles Bronson if the situation presents itself.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have guns but can’t imagine myself ever carrying, open or concealed. I don’t have the training to trust myself in a dynamic situation.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Oddly we have been talking about this subject lately. Annie Oakley wants a gun when we move to Colorado.

We have both lived most of our adult lives in large cities after growing up in smaller towns. Neither of us have ever owned guns. I never felt the need to carry a gun in the city. I have had weapons drawn on me four times. The third time was at work and the person carrying the rifle was drunk and fired a shot into the ceiling before pointing it at me and four other people. He was nuts and that was the one I took most seriously. Luckily it was a pitch black night and we were working in a rail yard. Drunks don't run very fast on rail ties and in between box cars. Two times I just stared at the person with the gun for awhile and walked away. The fourth time I got off I-44 at the wrong exit while looking for access to a spring creek and drove into a DEA Drug sting. I had multiple weapons pointed at me when I stopped my truck and kept my hands in plain view and answered all questions calmly and politely. None of those events made me think I should carry a gun, the last one made me glad I did not have a gun on me at the time.

The Empire is a big place with lots of empty space. I like going out into the wilderness by myself for days and there is no cell service most of that time. The number of people who have disappeared there the last few years has been disturbing. Some of them were involved with the weird criminal drug element that lives in containers out in the desert, but some probably just crossed paths with the wrong person at the wrong time. I might trade in my bear spray canister for a gun. I am not as fast as I used to be and there is nowhere to hide or anything to duck behind out there.

I would conceal carry.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, conceal carry in The Empire?

but I thought you could just use The Force?

or at the very least, a light saber.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I open carry when i hunt (pistol i mean) and when im tramping around in the wilderness off trail.

Ive conceal carried a handful of times, mainly to get used to the holster and weight etc.

Ive had a gun pulled on me 4 times. Once in Colombia by the military police. There was a demonstartion blocking the road by the native peoples and they (military) assumed all Americans were bringing supplies to the resistance. The dude dragged me out od the car and yelled at me in Spanish while shoving a submachine gun barrel between my teeth. It wasnt wonderful but got resolved.

Once at a party years ago by a guy that waa mad i spilled beer on his shoes. The cooler heads of his friends saved me.

Once by some dude in the woods who i stumbled upon his squatting camp way deep in a canyon. I had a gun....didnt pull it and just walked away hoping it would be the right move. It was

Once at a national forest campground by the camp host/park ranger. She was hammered, driving around partying with multiple camps and started agressively harassing the camp next to us. When we walked over to tell her to calm she said ok. Then later came to our camp in her golf cart and pulled out a dirty harry. As she swung it around i talked to her and my buddy snuck and bear hugged her from behind pinning her arms down while my other buddy grabbed the gun and dumped the rounds. Cops came and arrested her. Coupled with the coming hang over it was probably a bad morning for her.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I only have a shotgun.
I wouldn’t open carry that.
So then yes, if someone was pointing a gun at me, they’d be on my property/in my house, I’d shoot them.
Deleted User 289

Thanks for the responses!
Interesting that both Japhy and TDub have had guns "pulled" on them 4 times.
Thankfully I have never had it happen other than when a guy in a "local bar" in Puerto Rico felt the need to show my buddy and I that he had one and sort of pointed it at us.

We (those of us who post on here and have posted on the other .coms and .nets) have had many gun debates/discussions through the years but this was something that concerns me today......
That across the country in the not too distant future many people may experience what they feel are kill or be killed situations - despite not knowing if the threat is legitimate or not - and how they will respond to PERCEIVED situations.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Grandma wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:24 am
That across the country in the not too distant future many people may experience what they feel are kill or be killed situations - despite not knowing if the threat is legitimate or not - and how they will respond to PERCEIVED situations.
I don’t think so.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 am
Grandma wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:24 am
I don’t think so.
Depends! Really need the "kidnap the governor" and "storm the Capitol" types to calm the fuck down.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:05 am
Depends! Really need the "kidnap the governor" and "storm the Capitol" types to calm the fuck down.
Add them all up and you have about 300 knuckleheads in a country of 300,000,000+. I ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:05 am
Add them all up and you have about 300 knuckleheads in a country of 300,000,000+. I ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it.
(Rejecting the evidence of your eyes and ears, I see.)
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

It’s yours and grandmas job to pedal hysteria on the inter webs. It’s mine to know better.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the US Capitol earlier this afternoon to protest lawmakers certifying Joe Biden’s election victory. According to initial reports, one person was shot and killed and at least one explosive device was found in the area.

A YouGov Direct poll of 1,397 registered voters who had heard about the event finds that most (62%) voters perceive these actions as a threat to democracy...Among Republicans, however, only a quarter (27%) think this should be considered a threat to democracy, with two-thirds (68%) saying otherwise.

Either you reject this poll and just find the evidence circumstantial or you understand it's more than 300 knuckleheads.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don't know what to tell you. This was not a week ago:

There are more than 300 people in this picture, and this was a fraction of the rioters. Elected representatives were minutes from being kidnapped/killed.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

It’s not hysteria to be concerned with storms on capitols. Especially one that resulted in five deaths. The image I have for Trump appointed U.S. Attorneys is that of a guy with his hand on his forehead saying, “Not this shit again.”

I can’t find it.
Last edited by Leawood on Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

300 equals the number of knuckleheads that stormed the capital + the number of knuckleheads that talked about kidnapping the governor of Michigan.

I am well aware that there are greater than 300 total knuckleheads.