Question for the gun owners on here

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: Question for the gun owners on here

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:09 pm
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm Same.
Though i'd say it's not so likely, if you were asleep, depending on how you store it, you'd have time to get to said shotgun...but for me, it's like part of an emergency preparedness kit.

Better to never have to use it -- but sure as hell will be thanking yourself if shit ever really hit the fan.
in this same vein, i’ve only got maybe a dozen or so rounds of 9mm rounds on hand

for the past year, every time i’m out running errands it seems, it crosses my mind to stop and pick up a few boxes...just in case
Good luck finding ammo. If you do its usually a 1 box limit
i don’t think that’s the case in utah, but could be wrong

i’ve had to venture into walmart a few times in the past year, and they’ve always had 9mm ammo

we’ve also got a cabela’s and a scheels pretty close, if need be
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Careful with the ammo talk.....
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Why? Genuinely curious, not being an asshat purposely
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

big brother gonna come knocking
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well, i mean...were allowed to have ammo right? Im just saying its hard to find these days.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

TDub wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:44 pm Well, i mean...were allowed to have ammo right? Im just saying its hard to find these days.
What do you mean?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

im sure somebody brilliant here will be able to explain to me how Oregon measure 114 is going to work....One county made this possible.

Essentially, starting December 8th it has banned gun purchases for the foreseeable future. This is what many of you wanted. congrats.

To buy a gun, any gun, in Oregon you will need a full background check (fine), and to have completed a state approved safety course (ok, whatever). Heres the rub....the safety course is required to be administered by the sheriffs department or police department. But, the measure didn't include any requirements OR funding for these departments to provide the required classes. The sheriffs department and police department have already said they are not going to provide these courses as they have neither the manpower nor the funding to do so.

Good job, if someone wants a 30-06 or shotgun to hunt they are, for now and for an undetermined amount of time, unable to legally purchase one.

All this does is increase the likelihood of making criminals out of normal, law abiding citizens and does nothing to take guns away from the people already breaking the law.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

who operates the hunter’s safety courses in Oregon, presuming you’ve got those?

when i took my course in Kansas it was the sheriff’s office that did it. i’d think the sheriff/police would actually want to offer these things, even if they have to make budget changes. maybe they’ll have to forgo the ballistic armor and mini-guns
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

cops already get an awful lot of funding and manpower.

if not for things like this, kinda makes you wonder what they are spending it on
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

TDub wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:39 pm im sure somebody brilliant here will be able to explain to me how Oregon measure 114 is going to work....One county made this possible.

Essentially, starting December 8th it has banned gun purchases for the foreseeable future. This is what many of you wanted. congrats.

To buy a gun, any gun, in Oregon you will need a full background check (fine), and to have completed a state approved safety course (ok, whatever). Heres the rub....the safety course is required to be administered by the sheriffs department or police department. But, the measure didn't include any requirements OR funding for these departments to provide the required classes. The sheriffs department and police department have already said they are not going to provide these courses as they have neither the manpower nor the funding to do so.

Good job, if someone wants a 30-06 or shotgun to hunt they are, for now and for an undetermined amount of time, unable to legally purchase one.

All this does is increase the likelihood of making criminals out of normal, law abiding citizens and does nothing to take guns away from the people already breaking the law.
I read this in the "full text". https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Measure_ ... ive_(2022)

(a) Proof of completion of any firearms training course or class available to the general public that is offered by law enforcement, a community college, or a private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by a law enforcement agency, and that includes the components set forth in paragraph (c) of this subsection; or......
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the certification is a new certification. These classes aren't currently offered and aren't planned to be offered. The departments are saying they arent planning to provide certification classes for potential instructors either.

No funding was provided for these classes and the estimated annual cost of providing the services is $40M.

Completion of these courses is required prior to application for a permit. Again, this essentially bans forearm purchases for the foreseeable future.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:09 pm who operates the hunter’s safety courses in Oregon, presuming you’ve got those?

when i took my course in Kansas it was the sheriff’s office that did it. i’d think the sheriff/police would actually want to offer these things, even if they have to make budget changes. maybe they’ll have to forgo the ballistic armor and mini-guns
ODFW (fish and wildlife).. but they are online courses except for youth classes which include a field day portion of the education.
Just Ledoux it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Jesus christ Oregon. This is what happens in a soft liberal society. No amount of gun control will stop CRIMINALS. all this does is make life harder for law abiding criminals

I am for gun safety and classes tho. It should be taught to children. Most of us here in kansas learned to shoot as part of our upbringing
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

its not Oregon. It's 2 counties.

Also, yes, gun safety is important and should be taught. It should be something the parents teach....but since many parents can't, won't, or are scared of guns then we need other options.

Either way, you cant force classes that don't exist onto law abiding citizens. Its a mess. Talk about cart before the horse. But......its not, it was specifically engineered in this fashion to achieve what they wanted. The left a lot of the specifics out and made it purposefully confusing to make it appealing to those who weren't paying attention but believe we nees some sort of gun legislation.
Just Ledoux it
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

gun owner here. this was not on my radar.

still isn't.

just don't care. no one, ever, has made me feel as though my guns were going to be counted, inventoried, or confiscated.

if a coupla counties in oregon wanna start keeping track of, or qualifying, stuff by virtue of some kind of official vote, why should that bug me? whattami missing? srs q
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:41 pm gun owner here. this was not on my radar.

still isn't.

just don't care. no one, ever, has made me feel as though my guns were going to be counted, inventoried, or confiscated.

if a coupla counties in oregon wanna start keeping track of, or qualifying, stuff by virtue of some kind of official vote, why should that bug me? whattami missing? srs q
The law impacts all of Oregon, but was only voted in favor of because of 2 counties. I may have made that more confusing than it needed to be.

I care, because I'm in Oregon.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

User fees? Isn’t that the Conservative answer to everything? Why not include the fee for training/certification and hire the personnel to do that?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Thats not how the measure is written.

I'm not against the high capacity magazine ban. Though, I'm not entirely sure I support the way thats written either. In this bill your standard pump action shotgun would be illegal because theoretically it can hold more than 10 mini shells. Which, is ridiculous.

The rest of the measure is nonsense.
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:40 pm cops already get an awful lot of funding and manpower.

if not for things like this, kinda makes you wonder what they are spending it on
Have you seen what Oakleys cost these days?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

randylahey wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:49 pm Jesus christ Oregon. This is what happens in a soft liberal society. No amount of gun control will stop CRIMINALS. all this does is make life harder for law abiding criminals

I am for gun safety and classes tho. It should be taught to children. Most of us here in kansas learned to shoot as part of our upbringing
Respectfully.....

Right, no amount of gun control (unless every gun on this planet was confiscated) would stop ALL criminals from using guns but would/does it help - is the big question that needs to be asked - and properly answered.

Is someone who shoots and kills themself (on purpose or by accident) or accidentally shoots and kills a family member, friend, acquaintance, a criminal? If we had laws that made it more difficult for them to obtain guns - then I believe SOME of those innocent law abiding people wouldn't be shot - or accidentally shoot someone else.

Yes, tougher gun laws "make life harder" for law abiding citizens. And? So?
Shame more law abiding citizens who bitch about life being harder for them because of tougher gun laws don't do jack shit about "criminals". Do you agree? Or am I wrong for feeling that way?

Good you and I are in agreement in regards to gun safety classes/training.
Most people in Kansas learn to shoot as part of their upbringing? I have my doubts that's true but I'll accept your word for it. My guess is you realize there can be a big difference between "learning to shoot" and knowing proper gun safety. I "learned to shoot" a 22 when I was 8 or 9 years old.
I promise you I would not feel fully safe/fully responsible as a gun owner today unless I took a legitimate gun safety class / had proper training. I feel it should be mandatory. Even though it would "make life harder" for law abiding citizens.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.