Question for the gun owners on here

Coffee talk.
randylahey

Re: Question for the gun owners on here

Post by randylahey »

Accidentall gun deaths are easily avoided with some basic gun safety training and safety measures. Hopefully when you were taught to shoot a 22 they taught you to safely weird a gun as well

A gun is a tool. Not just some weapon. But even to use tools you need to know what you are doing before using them
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

I'll just leave this here. Cdc lost a lot of credibility through the covid process in my eyes. But I had given them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they were truly only concerned about the virus and disregarded how their recommendations would effect the economy, freedoms, politics, etc

But it appears they are also being influenced towards agendas as well....
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Let me guess, you didn't read the article? Either way, I'll see your article from The Reload (JFC) and raise you this.....
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/12/16 ... ake-county

Honest question. Do you want more assholes like Crimo Jr. to have the opportunity to shoot you and your loved ones instead of Crimo Sr. getting what he deserves?
I know. I know, if only someone had a gun to shoot Crimo Jr. people (one I knew who is dead / and one I know who is permanently incapacitated) wouldn't have been shot at the 4th of July parade they attended. WRONG!!!!!!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Rainbows i know you mean well and I truly beleive you're a good person. But God damn are you naive. Bad guys will always find ways to get guns or other ways to hurt you. I grew up learning to shoot, and am a responsible gun owner, people don't tend to shoot or rob armed people. They want the upper hand, not a level playing field. Thats why you never hear about mass shootings taking place at a police station or military base or gun range. Its always in a "gun free zone"
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Places with higher rates of gun ownership actually have LOWER rates of gun violence.
Nobody wants to shoot at somebody of they think they'll shoot back
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:23 pm Rainbows i know you mean well and I truly beleive you're a good person. But God damn are you naive. Bad guys will always find ways to get guns or other ways to hurt you. I grew up learning to shoot, and am a responsible gun owner, people don't tend to shoot or rob armed people. They want the upper hand, not a level playing field. Thats why you never hear about mass shootings taking place at a police station or military base or gun range. Its always in a "gun free zone"
There is a history of mass shootings at military bases fwiw

https://time.com/5745473/why-military-b ... shootings/
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Interesting. All you hear about now is school shooting.. by civilians though? Or by military/ex military
Deleted User 863

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:32 pm Interesting. All you hear about now is school shooting.. by civilians though? Or by military/ex military
Yeah, I don't know. Just remember a few military base mass shooting type things over the last 10-20 years.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:28 pm Places with higher rates of gun ownership actually have LOWER rates of gun violence.
You mean like, Chicago?
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:23 pm Rainbows i know you mean well and I truly beleive you're a good person. But God damn are you naive. Bad guys will always find ways to get guns or other ways to hurt you. I grew up learning to shoot, and am a responsible gun owner, people don't tend to shoot or rob armed people. They want the upper hand, not a level playing field. Thats why you never hear about mass shootings taking place at a police station or military base or gun range. Its always in a "gun free zone"
What am I naive about?

That I feel sure, someone who is a "good guy" with a gun can shoot a "bad guy" with a gun - but a "good guy" with a gun doesn't always prevent a "bad guy" with a gun from killing people? Is that being naive?
I don't feel that's being naive, I feel it's a proven fact.

A. I agree with you that bad guys will always find a way to get guns or other ways to hurt you.
That being said, I happen to believe that one less bad guy with a gun is a good thing. Is that being naive?

B. I agree with you that people don't tend to shoot or rob armed people (but it still happens).
That being said, I happen to KNOW that if there is a confrontation and no one is armed with a gun, no one gets shot. Is that being naive?

C. The last thing you said.... I have heard about a mass shooting taking place at a military base.
Off the top of my head. Fort Hood 2009. Is my hearing about that being naive?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:28 pm Places with higher rates of gun ownership actually have LOWER rates of gun violence.
I'll give you the benefit of my doubt but can you please provide the proof of your first sentence so that I can eliminate all my doubt?
As far as your 2nd sentence, sure that's generally true but it's not always true.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:02 pm
You mean like, Chicago?
Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws out there
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:18 am
You mean like, Chicago?
That wasn't your augment. You implied more guns = more safety from guns. But way to move the goal posts. Again.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:11 am

You mean like, Chicago?
That wasn't your augment. You implied more guns = more safety from guns. But way to move the goal posts. Again.
To me, there is a difference between legally owned guns and illegally owned guns.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

You mean like, Chicago?
No you just can't read. I said a higher rate of gun ownership. Chicago has 2.7 million people and strict gun laws. The "average good guy" in Chicago does not have a gun because of strict gun laws. So the percentage of gun ownership is pretty low there

However gun violence is a huge problem there. Because that small percentage of people who have guns commit it
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

But you can compare that to examples of small towns where everyone has guns and there is very little crime at all
Deleted User 863

"But a top law enforcement source says the actual number of illegal firearms in Chicago — where more illegal guns are reportedly recovered than LA and New York Combined — likely exceeds half a million, and that's a conservative estimate."

Half a million ILLEGAL guns in Chicago. That is insane.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

You mean like, Chicago?
Debatable. While Chicago has stricter gun laws than many other cities, Chicago gun laws are not nearly as strict as those who are uneducated and don't their own research on the topic claim they are.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

randylahey wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:10 am

No you just can't read. I said a higher rate of gun ownership. Chicago has 2.7 million people and strict gun laws. The "average good guy" in Chicago does not have a gun because of strict gun laws. So the percentage of gun ownership is pretty low there

However gun violence is a huge problem there. Because that small percentage of people who have guns commit it
Debatable again.
I know plenty of "average good guys" in Chicago who own guns.
Why would strict gun laws stop "good guys" from legally purchasing guns? Because it's a hassle? It's pretty much as big of a hassle to get a driver's license in Chicago and yet that doesn't stop most people from doing it.