GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Walrus

Re: Texas Special Election:

Post by Walrus »

Not sure which thread to put this in, but some people in Texas received energy bills for $4,000 just for this last month of usage. I can't imagine they would enforce these bills, but regardless, their heating energy system definitely needs some improvement.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Walrus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm Not sure which thread to put this in, but some people in Texas received energy bills for $4,000 just for this last month of usage. I can't imagine they would enforce these bills, but regardless, their heating energy system definitely needs some improvement.
GOPQ ran for 20 years...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:23 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm Not sure which thread to put this in, but some people in Texas received energy bills for $4,000 just for this last month of usage. I can't imagine they would enforce these bills, but regardless, their heating energy system definitely needs some improvement.
GOPQ ran for 20 years...
Eh, I've lived in both Texas and California. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall though, I think the future is brighter in Texas (at least for the next 10 years or so).
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Walrus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:35 pm Not sure which thread to put this in, but some people in Texas received energy bills for $4,000 just for this last month of usage.
Your sources are 100%, as usual
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

"$5,152 Power Bill? Texas’ Winter Storm Hell Only Gets Worse"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/5-152 ... r-BB1dLKDE

MSN is a source that is "on your side" too.

You're welcome. ;)
Deleted User 62

Walrus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 pm "$5,152 Power Bill? Texas’ Winter Storm Hell Only Gets Worse"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/5-152 ... r-BB1dLKDE

MSN is a source that is "on your side" too.

You're welcome. ;)
It will get straightened out, she is clearly being racked.

But please, continue to distribute
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s not being racked.

That’s just free market capitalism working its wonders.
dolomite2

Post by dolomite2 »

I blame Ted Cruz.😀
Deleted User 62

Typical Texas crony politics...nothing to see here
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

If those bills hit consumers here, it will wreck the GOP. But since they are profiting from their own incompetence with the spot market gas rates, they will be okay. I'm sure Walrus worries about the billionaires in charge. I think this is a great case for socializing all fossil fuels. Why should a corporation profit forever for a hole in the ground that depletes a country's natural resources? There is nothing that should be more shared than a nation's natural resources. Thanks, Rockefeller, but we can take it from here.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Wow.
Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Sparko wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:18 pm If those bills hit consumers here, it will wreck the GOP. But since they are profiting from their own incompetence with the spot market gas rates, they will be okay. I'm sure Walrus worries about the billionaires in charge. I think this is a great case for socializing all fossil fuels. Why should a corporation profit forever for a hole in the ground that depletes a country's natural resources? There is nothing that should be more shared than a nation's natural resources. Thanks, Rockefeller, but we can take it from here.
I take exception to one word in your post, while I agree with the overall point. Their profits are not in spite of incompetence. The profits are a result of the system working exactly as designed. The incompetence is on the part of the voters who elected them in spite of the warning that this is exactly what would happen. We saw it happen in 2001 in California (driven by deregulation and Enron) and we’re seeing it with ERCOT now.

On one level I feel that Texans only need a mirror if they’re looking for someone to blame for their predicament. They have bought into the myth of the superiority of deregulation much the same way that they bought into trickle down economics
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

This mess in Texas has something in common with the plane with the engine that exploded in Colorado.

If it weren't for government regulations from the FAA requiring commercial planes being able to run on one engine, all the passengers would be dead. The whole point of regulations (IMO) is making sure people don't get seriously harmed due to unexpected circumstances that wouldn't be profitable for private businesses to account for.

That's the opposite of what Texas has done, and these are the consequences.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Regulations can also completely destroy an economy by making everything too expensive (see California). It's not a black and white solution but rather, a balance.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Walrus wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:36 pm Regulations can also completely destroy an economy by making everything too expensive (see California). It's not a black and white solution but rather, a balance.
California is the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world. Does that seem like the economy is destroyed? Lay off the Kool Aid
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

wait...how is cali’s economy destroyed?

and presuming it is destroyed, what regulations, specifically, led to such an outcome?

seems Cali is just reeling from a hard covid retraction...which isn't really all that surprising
https://calmatters.org/commentary/2020/ ... edictions/
Deleted User 62

TraditionKU wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:01 am wait...how is cali’s economy destroyed?

and presuming it is destroyed, what regulations, specifically, led to such an outcome?

seems Cali is just reeling from a hard covid retraction...which isn't really all that surprising
https://calmatters.org/commentary/2020/ ... edictions/
Just another of Lobsters' bullshit assessments.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

https://lao.ca.gov/Publications/Report/4297

Doesn’t look like a destroyed economy to me (bit more recent than Trad’s source). Yes there are problems but nothing too unexpected. Biggest hit is in tourism, as one would expect
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

look at us...providing actual sources and shit