NFL Offseason 2021

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: NFL Offseason 2021

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 am Good point. Raved about him and forgot about him. Allegretti is gone. Blythe could be gone too.
You can probably hide Smith on the practice squad?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's a dangerous game. Really dangerous.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

One sneaky thing Andy Reid likes to do is take a first-year guy he really likes and by the end of preseason he might have a sprained ankle or a pulled hamstring so he'll put him on IR as essentially a red-shirt year. That could be an option.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:47 am Teams usually carry 8 o-linemen? The Chiefs will have Brown, Thuney, Long, LDT, Niang, Blythe, Humphrey, Remmers, and Allegretti. Allegretti is probably the odd man out and gets cut this year.
Chiefs love Allegretti, and he is versatile. Wouldn't surprise me if LDT is the odd man out, depending on who's cheaper to cut between him and Blythe.

Also: Humphrey will start. No way in hell you burn a second on a C if you don't think he can start right away.
Agreed. Humphrey was a stud in college and started right away as a freshman at Oklahoma. I am hoping he is a solid anchor to the Chiefs line for many years.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:00 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:36 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:47 am Teams usually carry 8 o-linemen? The Chiefs will have Brown, Thuney, Long, LDT, Niang, Blythe, Humphrey, Remmers, and Allegretti. Allegretti is probably the odd man out and gets cut this year.
Chiefs love Allegretti, and he is versatile. Wouldn't surprise me if LDT is the odd man out, depending on who's cheaper to cut between him and Blythe.

Also: Humphrey will start. No way in hell you burn a second on a C if you don't think he can start right away.
Agreed. Humphrey was a stud in college and started right away as a freshman at Oklahoma. I am hoping he is a solid anchor to the Chiefs line for many years.
He seems like a guy you can just plug in and forget about for 6-8 years.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Of course it will work out for the frickin' Chiefs, but reading that is giving me Garrett Bradbury PTSD.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

It really is amazing how Andy and Veach watched Mahomes get chased around in the Superbowl and decided to course correct by building one of the better lines in the league -- arguably an overcorrection but I get that it's rational to protect the unicorn.

Otherwise not too thrilled with this draft. The elephant in the room is that we have Kelce and Hill, and then not much else. Mecole could be good if he learns how to run routes correctly. Pringle and Robinson, eh. We are boned if Kelce or Hill go down.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hasbeen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 pm It really is amazing how Andy and Veach watched Mahomes get chased around in the Superbowl and decided to course correct by building one of the better lines in the league -- arguably an overcorrection but I get that it's rational to protect the unicorn.

Otherwise not too thrilled with this draft. The elephant in the room is that we have Kelce and Hill, and then not much else. Mecole could be good if he learns how to run routes correctly. Pringle and Robinson, eh. We are boned if Kelce or Hill go down.
Name a team that isn't boned if one of their All Pro receivers goes down.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 pm
hasbeen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:47 pm It really is amazing how Andy and Veach watched Mahomes get chased around in the Superbowl and decided to course correct by building one of the better lines in the league -- arguably an overcorrection but I get that it's rational to protect the unicorn.

Sure. And very few teams are in position to insulate themselves from injury at receiver like the Chiefs were. But we don't really have to debate because Andy agrees with me -- that's why he went so hard at JuJu.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The thought here is that Mahomes can transcend average talent on the outside if he has protection. They tried to get Reynolds, which I wasn't high on and JuJu, which I would have been more interested in but something about him I just don't like. Obviously made big strides on the offensive line and priority one was keeping 15 off of the ground and running for his life.
I happened to watch some highlights from 15s first year starting. He was so strong and confident in the pocket and made a guy like Conley a lot of money. Between 15s ability and Reid's scheme they are banking that a corp of Robinson, Mecole, Pringle and anyone else they can find can get the job done.

That is, until Veach pulls a rabbit out of his ass and signs Julio.
Holidaysmore - 2005
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

hasbeen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:07 pm

Sure. And very few teams are in position to insulate themselves from injury at receiver like the Chiefs were. But we don't really have to debate because Andy agrees with me -- that's why he went so hard at JuJu.
With the offensive line we have now, Hardman will have plenty of time to get open as will Robinson and the draft pick WR (I'll remember his name by the time the season starts). And the offseason isn't done yet by any means. Maybe they trade one or two of our extra offensive linemen for a good WR after June 1st when cap hits come down. The Falcons could use some offensive line help and Julio Jones chatter is out there.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

There will be unexpected and expected camp cuts by someone at WR. More and more WRs are coming out of college ready to start Day 1 so veteran guys who carry big contracts are suddenly expendable.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sammy was just so prone to injury but hes the type of WR you want opposite Hill. Not DeMarcus Robinson who wouldn't start/play on teams in the rest of the NFL.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

That's a good point about Mahomes' first season a starter. Conley did look like a legit #2 even though he really isn't. I also think the offensive line improvements is a lot about improving the run/screen game. Hardman/Robinson/Pringle will have a lot more success in play-action.

- lobser
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

only good things will happen by giving Mahomie more time and keeping him on his feet
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Regarding KC and WR

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insi ... -two-bears

Kansas City Chiefs selecting WR Cornell Powell (Clemson)
The pick: 181 (Round 5)

The No. 2 receiver position in Kansas City is up in the air at this point. While Byron Pringle and Demarcus Robinson have each had their opportunities over the years, neither has solidified himself as a legitimate option. There's a chance Powell can step in and be that guy.

Powell is one of the most physical route runners in the draft class at 6-foot and 204 pounds, and he broke out in a big way down the stretch in 2020. Over the final six games of Powell's collegiate career, he averaged well over 100 yards per contest and his 730 receiving yards were the sixth most in college football over that span. He then went to the Senior Bowl and had the second-highest win rate of any receiver in the one-on-ones against press coverage. That skill set can translate quickly.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Powell is exactly what I thought might be out there in the second/third round. And yet, other teams watched the Chiefs—late in the draft—take maybe the best receiver standing on Clemson after a great post season. I am a little amazed at how safe most NFL teams play it for the draft (except the weird Raider picks). They would rather just go down an SEC mock list sponsored by Mel Kiper so they won’t be second guessed. But the Chiefs just shrug and take some real athletes. I think all of the Chiefs picks contribute this year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Counterpoint: was it actually Aaron Rodgers’s personality rather than the Packers that kept him from being mentioned among the 3-5 GOATs?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

A little from both?

Egos have a funny way of getting in the way of success.

I like the Powell pick but I’m wary of how much trust Reid & Co put in him. He runs a notoriously hard offense to pick up for WRs, much less rookie ones.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The dude is big/strong.
But had 7 good games and couldn't get playing time for 3 years so I don't think you can expect much.
Sammy Watkins doubled Powell's yardage in his last year at Clemson.