KU Football 2021 off season thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: KU Football 2021 off season thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Playing time. Scouts will figure out if you can play if you see the field, not necessarily if you sit on bench at a top tier school.

KU switching to 4-3 defense with a potential for 4-2-5.

LB group will probably be Wheeler, Potter and Betts with Betts being the floating LB considering he was a safety last year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Wheeler, was also recruited by Chris Simpson, who is now on staff here.
Holidaysmore - 2005
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

This is a solid look at where the scholarship situation stands. I also heard this morning we have 15 spots for next year and have 4 commitments so far.

https://twitter.com/ChasenScott/status/ ... 5334731779
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don't be surprised if 2022 class has a good amount of multi-year transfers on it.

2023 is going to be a big class for this staff. It's probably the best Kansas HS class ever. The hope is to get a couple top 10 Kansas kids and then fill out the rest from there. You have John Randle's son at Heights who is a 4 star RB with a shit ton of P5 offers, a QB from Maize that is a stud and already has 12 P5 offers. Dylan Edwards from Derby is a 3 star RB that many think KU is in the lead for. New staff has been in on him hard. Hamm from Eudora is a 4 star TE with offers from Michigan, Penn State and then the 2 state schools.

That 2023 Kansas HS class is loaded. KU has to work hard on that class and stay consistent. You might have your full allotment of classes in 2023 and 2022 might be a bit more immediate transfers with a few years left to play.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Didn't realize how good '23 was for the state of KS. I also wouldn't be surprised if all of those kids you mentioned went out of state, lol.

Also, I am getting old now that John Randle's son will almost be in college. *Sigh* What his old man could have been...unreal talent.
Holidaysmore - 2005
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:10 am Don't be surprised if 2022 class has a good amount of multi-year transfers on it.

2023 is going to be a big class for this staff. It's probably the best Kansas HS class ever. The hope is to get a couple top 10 Kansas kids and then fill out the rest from there. You have John Randle's son at Heights who is a 4 star RB with a shit ton of P5 offers, a QB from Maize that is a stud and already has 12 P5 offers. Dylan Edwards from Derby is a 3 star RB that many think KU is in the lead for. New staff has been in on him hard. Hamm from Eudora is a 4 star TE with offers from Michigan, Penn State and then the 2 state schools.

That 2023 Kansas HS class is loaded. KU has to work hard on that class and stay consistent. You might have your full allotment of classes in 2023 and 2022 might be a bit more immediate transfers with a few years left to play.
Edwards grew up a KU fan.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Love to get Randle.
Certainly can't let a school like ksu land him over us.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:06 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:10 am Don't be surprised if 2022 class has a good amount of multi-year transfers on it.

Yeah Edwards is a heavy KU lean right now. Good player who is explosive in open space. Should have a good year for Derby. Their QB handled a lot of runs and he's off to Missouri State. Edwards should be focused a lot more in that offense.

The only negative is trying to get Derby's HC and kstate alumni Clark to stop shitting on KU.

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am

Yeah Edwards is a heavy KU lean right now. Good player who is explosive in open space. Should have a good year for Derby. Their QB handled a lot of runs and he's off to Missouri State. Edwards should be focused a lot more in that offense.

The only negative is trying to get Derby's HC and kstate alumni Clark to stop shitting on KU.
He's the guy who wrote the letter to KU telling them to hire the running backs coach from Nebraska right? What a clown.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Wasn't posted here but PFF did a top 20 best college head coaches.

Guess where our boy Leipold was?

9. LANCE LEIPOLD, KANSAS
The former Buffalo Bulls head coach is set to take over a program that has been a shambles since the end of the Mark Mangino era. They’ve won 21 games in 11 years. The best record over that timeframe stands at a meager 3-9.

Leipold has shown that he can turn around a downtrodden program. When Buffalo came back to Division I-A football in 1999, they embarked on a journey of countless losses. Between Craig Cirbus, Jim Hofher, Turner Gill and Jeff Quinn, the team won 3.25 games per season on average. After feeling his way around early in his Bulls tenure, Leipold went 24-10 in his last three seasons before landing this Kansas job. Over the last two campaigns, Buffalo ranked fifth in EPA per rush in the FBS.

Of course, he was wildly successful in the years before his Buffalo tenure. Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater was already somewhat of a national power at that level when Leipold took over the team in 2007, but his 109-6 record with the team is still truly remarkable. He won six national championships.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:37 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:34 am

He's the guy who wrote the letter to KU telling them to hire the running backs coach from Nebraska right? What a clown.
Yes. He thinks he owns the state of Kansas in high school. I mean, he's had success, but he thinks he is mighty and the authority for the state.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I use to play ball with Derby's DC. Next time I see him all have to tell him to tell his HC to ease up on the KU slander.

Excited to see, for once what an actual HC can do for this program.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

It is exciting. Progress.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:41 am Wasn't posted here but PFF did a top 20 best college head coaches.

Guess where our boy Leipold was?

9. LANCE LEIPOLD, KANSAS
The former Buffalo Bulls head coach is set to take over a program that has been a shambles since the end of the Mark Mangino era. They’ve won 21 games in 11 years. The best record over that timeframe stands at a meager 3-9.

Leipold has shown that he can turn around a downtrodden program. When Buffalo came back to Division I-A football in 1999, they embarked on a journey of countless losses. Between Craig Cirbus, Jim Hofher, Turner Gill and Jeff Quinn, the team won 3.25 games per season on average. After feeling his way around early in his Bulls tenure, Leipold went 24-10 in his last three seasons before landing this Kansas job. Over the last two campaigns, Buffalo ranked fifth in EPA per rush in the FBS.

Of course, he was wildly successful in the years before his Buffalo tenure. Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater was already somewhat of a national power at that level when Leipold took over the team in 2007, but his 109-6 record with the team is still truly remarkable. He won six national championships.
9th?
I'm sorry but that's ridiculously high.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

So many successful schools basically have 5-star head starts though. Leipold had to earn success through hard work and coaching. The ranking looks at his impediments and success.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Does seem like the team is all in on the coaching, strength and condition and the team. Lots of comments from players on the videos with what seems to be said to them by the staff.

Some strong men on that team too.

Just hope that this successful culture that Leipold has had for years pays off.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CRU5ikyjCr ... =copy_link

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Big 12 Media Day for KU tomorrow. Leipold, Logan and Lassiter will be there.

First time we will have heard from Leipold in over a month. Should be interesting.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Bummer that the guys and Coach won't be able to make it in person.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yep true. Would have been good to see Leipold on stage and not in front of a screen.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:42 am Yep true. Would have been good to see Leipold on stage and not in front of a screen.
The more I think about it, how in the hell does KU not see some iffy weather coming, book a flight, get 3-5 hotel rooms and spend under $1,000.

Minor league stuff, yet again.