Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:46 pm
If you’re campaigning for it, it means you haven’t been contacted. And if you haven’t been contacted yet, that’s bad news for you.
Make of this as you will.
Manning said he “has had people reach out to me but not anything where I’m speaking with the chancellor, none of that. I have received calls about (his) interest.”
Phone calls from ex UDK writers.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Players pushing HARD for Emmett Jones. Extremely hard.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:14 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:46 pm

If you’re campaigning for it, it means you haven’t been contacted. And if you haven’t been contacted yet, that’s bad news for you.
Make of this as you will.
Manning said he “has had people reach out to me but not anything where I’m speaking with the chancellor, none of that. I have received calls about (his) interest.”
Phone calls from ex UDK writers.
Right.
Now tell me if you think he's spoken with KU people today who may have some say in his hire - such as coach Self and Wayne Simien.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if he has.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:23 pm Players pushing HARD for Emmett Jones. Extremely hard.
Why not? Easy hire.
Assuming he's not chosen, I'm wondering if anyone at KU would be honest if asked why he wasn't selected to be the HC. Only real knock they could probably use is that he has no head coaching experience at the college level.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

We’ve already tried the ‘really good recruiter WR coach’ route and it didn’t end well. I do believe who ever the new hire is his first offer should be to EJ.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You make Emmett the interim to soften the blow of the Long and Miles buyouts.

We’re be pretty even on it in a fiscal year and can offer the new coach Les’s salary.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:35 pm We’ve already tried the ‘really good recruiter WR coach’ route and it didn’t end well. I do believe who ever the new hire is his first offer should be to EJ.
There’s nothing we haven’t tried.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Make Jones interim. Hire an outside guy, but make Jones a top assistant.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:59 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:53 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:49 pm Those of you who said Danny Manning. I laughed.
Well, it's not funny. Just found out form a perfect source that he's a legitimate candidate who is interested and is being considered.
It would be so Kansas to hire Danny Manning as our AD so that when he hires a football coach that inevitably fails, everyone would hate one of our most beloved stars.

Danny Manning doesn't know any more about hiring a football coach than I do.
Excellent points!
Well, I am yet to know of a successful person who hasn't surrounded himself/herself with successful people who helped make him/her successful.
My hope is that if Danny is hired (I don't think he will be) he will have some excellent advisors helping advise him.
Well, he was a good assistant coach and then a good coach and then a good TV personality so who knows, maybe Manning is just good at everything he does and would do a good job. Heck, I dont know.

We had a guy with a history as an AD at a P5 school and he turned out to suck ass at the job. Just hard to guess how hires turn out.

I'll cheer for the success of whoever they hire.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pretty sure I was arguing with Long or a sock on social media. Was pretty raw on my suggestion he didn’t understand what vetting means. Danny Manning has my support. AD is an ambassador as much as anything else. He helped bring KU back once before.
jhawk23

Post by jhawk23 »

I'm just not seeing a Manning hire here...He would be great to represent basketball for Kansas. With the continued turmoil with Kansas football that has been as regular as the sun rising in the east, it could be looked at as...Kansas is a basketball school...that's it. There are numerous things/questions in the next days/weeks...players leaving...recruits not coming, they need to find not only an AD, but also a football coach that leave it more open to all sports rather than limiting the university as a basketball priority first place.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wouldn't bringing Mark Alnutt and Lance Leipold here in a package seem like a damn stable move?

I'm on board.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:05 pm Wouldn't bringing Mark Alnutt and Lance Leipold here in a package seem like a damn stable move?

I'm on board.
That is a good call. Maybe asst AD for Manning.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Alnutt has the experience.

Mizzou FB player. Assistant AD at Mizzou for like 7 years. AD at SEMO and then assistant AD at Memphis before his hire at Buffalo a few years back.

He just hasn't made a true hire, it seems.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Tulane's AD might be an alright one considering hiring experience. Has made a basketball and football hire in the last 5 years.

Fritz obviously for football and he hired Ron Hunter, the coach from Georgia State that went crazy on the sidelines when he had a broken leg or something like that.

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:40 am Alnutt has the experience.

Mizzou FB player. Assistant AD at Mizzou for like 7 years. AD at SEMO and then assistant AD at Memphis before his hire at Buffalo a few years back.

He just hasn't made a true hire, it seems.
He did a good job replacing Oats.

But sure it makes the most sense if he brings Leipold with him. Already a good relationship and they'll know to stay out of Bill Self's way.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This is how much of a hardcore insider Mike Vernon is:

https://twitter.com/M_Vernon/status/137 ... 28038?s=20

Yeah no shit, Jesse reported that straight from KU's mouth on Tuesday morning.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

My question would be why did they let this go on for so long. This doesn't sound like these issues just happened over night. IMO, the Chancellor's seat needs to get a little hotter or his focus needs to be on the ENTIRE university and not just the medical campus. You can't let things get to levels like this.
Holidaysmore - 2005