Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 89

Re: Goodbye Les, we hardly knew ye...

Post by Deleted User 89 »

as i posted yesterday, it sounds like a non-insignificant portion of the faculty agree with you, holidays

CLAS might be done at KU, unless changes are made
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 am as i posted yesterday, it sounds like a non-insignificant portion of the faculty agree with you, holidays

That is right. You did mention that. What does that mean for him and the provost in the long run?

I don't envy either one of them and the tough spot they are in. Some bad oversight on expanding the campus by the old Oliver Hall, a decrease in international students and now the pandemic has them in a tough spot. In the grand scheme of things Athletics seems pretty far down the list but to a certain degree that is what drives this university.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:18 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:14 am as i posted yesterday, it sounds like a non-insignificant portion of the faculty agree with you, holidays

That is right. You did mention that. What does that mean for him and the provost in the long run?

I don't envy either one of them and the tough spot they are in. Some bad oversight on expanding the campus by the old Oliver Hall, a decrease in international students and now the pandemic has them in a tough spot. In the grand scheme of things Athletics seems pretty far down the list but to a certain degree that is what drives this university.
not sure, but a vote of no confidence, i would think, would get the state board of regents involved...they’d be the ones, i assume, that would remove and replace
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Wow. Did not know how all of that works. Has this information been made public?
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Lots of hearsay and chatter.

But nothing public yet. I think Girod is fine. He just trusted Long too much.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

my source is a tenured professor in CLAS, and “they” made it sound like there is quite a bit of turmoil outside of athletics

when i sent them a text asking what the sentiment among staff was regarding Les/Long, they were fully unaware of what had transpired (because of this board, i knew sooner than many of my Lawrence peeps)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Became a long post:

The "turmoil outside of athletics" is much more serious and way bigger fish than athletics.

But, a lot of it is, of course, funding related and the (mostly) externally induced budget crisis. Growth guys like Girod are going to inevitably make cuts in some of the wrong places with a narrow black vs. red focus and really piss off the CLAS crowd. You'll find plenty of public interviews evidencing that going on like 2 years now.

The fight there, though, is very political and you're not getting rid of a guy that's been entrusted to fight that battle over a bad athletics hire, which also operates outside of KU and won't cost KU a dime (to date).

That's not even mentioning the fact that it's also quite a bit a higher education problem in general. My household's tie is to the B school, and it's eye opening the amount of look-down-their-noses at the CLAS chatter you hear b/c there is such a (false) sense that they think they and the med school are funding the rest of the University. It's a safe assumption that's a lot how it is everywhere and it would go a long way if Universities weren't, in practice, like a lot of big business: rich old people taking that high ass salary without doing shit, and treating lecturers/faculties like they are the peasant working class.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Deleted User 89

i know that dude (Epp)

had no idea he was with the Chiefs
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Would you leave a job VP job with the Chiefs for the AD job at KU? Srs question.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 pm Would you leave a job VP job with the Chiefs for the AD job at KU? Srs question.
It seems he is always been on the business side and would not ever be a GM candidate. So, I think the one thing KU could offer is that people would know his name.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I took tennis lessons from Tyler Epp when I was a kid.
Had no idea.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Who is CLAS?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

college of liberal arts and sciences.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Emmett Jones interim HC
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:03 pm Emmett Jones interim HC
seems like the prudent choice
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:21 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:03 pm Emmett Jones interim HC
seems like the prudent choice
Agreed.

I'm curious what others think, I wonder if there will be any kick-back if he's hired as the HC - that they didn't actually hire him today and only gave him the Interim title.
Maybe I am overthinking it but it would seem to me Girod (and the new AD?) would rightfully be questioned if they were originally "unsure" and not confident with his hire.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Does the new AD fire Brandon Schneider or is it just considered a forgone conclusion that KU Women's Hoop will suck no matter who is their coach so they might as well keep him?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Is Lynette Woodard available?