Garrett C+
Harris C+
Braun C
Bryce C
Ochai C-
Lightfoot C-
Grant Foster C-
Enaruna D

Not sure why we don’t think our players can improve.
This is a legit top 1 or 2 seed next season.

But what hurts the most is our A season last year ended before we could prove it.
PhDhawk

Re: Season Grades

Post by PhDhawk »

We can improve, but no one is gonna grow 6 inches, suddenly become an elite athlete, or go from passive to playmaker.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

We could all see this coming. People should not be surprised at all.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also seeding doesn't matter. We've figured out the recipe for that. We need to figure out how to have more success in the tourney.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Marcus Carr.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’m not surprised by the loss.
I am a little surprised by the beat down.
But look at the Texas games—USC is a better Texas.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:39 pm I’m not surprised by the loss.
I am a little surprised by the beat down.
But look at the Texas games—USC is a better Texas.
nit based on seeds

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TGIF is an elite athlete, and we should all hope he steps up and takes Braun’s starting spot.

Och needs to look like an upperclassman. Even if he doesn’t exhibit leadership, try to be more consistent.

Same for DMac.

Mitch is a 5th year senior who still can’t even stay on the floor. Woof.

Dajuan Jalen and Bryce will all only improve. Maybe even Tristan too. And who knows what Gethro might bring
ArgentineHawk

Post by ArgentineHawk »

PortlandHawk wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:37 pm We could all see this coming. People should not be surprised at all.
This team is what it is. Deep down we’ve all known (at least most of us) that this was not a very good team. Self did a pretty good job regrouping this team after January.

But the problems were apparent all year long. No elite PG, no elite shooters, not very athletic (how many dunks/lobs have we had all year?) and we seem to fall behind (a lot of the times big/double digits).

If we don’t get an elite PG soon, it’s going to be more of the same next season as well.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

2014-15 kinda sucked.
2015-16 didn’t.
And we didn’t get any superstar frosh—our guys got better.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:41 pm TGIF is an elite athlete, and we should all hope he steps up and takes Braun’s starting spot.

Och needs to look like an upperclassman. Even if he doesn’t exhibit leadership, try to be more consistent.

Same for DMac.

Mitch is a 5th year senior who still can’t even stay on the floor. Woof.

Dajuan Jalen and Bryce will all only improve. Maybe even Tristan too. And who knows what Gethro might bring
Dajuan Jalen and Bryce will all only improve, but Braun won't and hopefully TGF gets better and takes his spot?

LOL

What a strange fantasy.

Braun is flatout better than TGF and by a LARGE margin. Braun will likely continue to improve just the same as the rest of our players. My guess is that he will continue to start until he graduates. He was NOT the issue with our team this year.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s not that Braun won’t improve. I certainly hope and trust he will.

It’s that TGIF’s upside is so much higher either way.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:33 pm Season C-.
Self C

Wilson B+
DMac B
Garrett C+
Harris C+
Braun C
Bryce C
Ochai C-
Lightfoot C-
Grant Foster C-
Enaruna D

Not sure why we don’t think our players can improve.
This is a legit top 1 or 2 seed next season.

But what hurts the most is our A season last year ended before we could prove it.
Season C-
Self C-

Wilson B
DMac B-
Garrett C+
Harris C
Braun C
Bryce C
Ochai C
Lightfoot D
Grant Foster D+
Enaruna D

With decent coaching each and everyone of our players can and should improve.
This MIGHT be a legit top 1 or 2 seed next season but I'm not counting on it. I will accept and assume a 3 or 4 - and a 1 or 2 would be gravy.

But what hurts the most is our "A" season last year ended before we could prove it - or get shocked in the early rounds.

As shitty as I feel about being denied an opportunity to see how well we could/would have played in the tournament last season, I can't help but wonder how Dayton fans feel. They would have probably been a 1 seed and this season they didn't even make the fricking tournament.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:15 pm It’s not that Braun won’t improve. I certainly hope and trust he will.

It’s that TGIF’s upside is so much higher either way.
From an NBA/pro standpoint, I would agree.

While at KU, I'm not so sure about that, Braun being younger and all.

But, yes, TGF is the best athlete on the team and one of the best we've ever had in the program. We are looking for something over the next couple of years, and that's certainly a direction we should at least look as TGF has obvious room to improve/mature/grow.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dangit did you edit that and add more before I responded?

Braun is as much an issue with our team as anyone this year. Dude was prone to standing around on offense, hesitant to shoot, afraid to drive and rarely finished even if he did, missed easy chances to make plays, prone to getting burned on d, and was prone to bonehead moments as much as anyone, though - and this is big - he often got to play through them when TGIF woulda got the short leash.

This is a harsh criticism, but welcome to blue blood ball yo. I dunno how you can say Braun should not bear any responsibility as far as “the issue” with this team. I still think Braun is good, and am glad to have him.

There’s a reason why, when TGIF checked in, our offense tended to play with a lot more energy. Dude puts his head down and attacks. He’s also way athletic, which is something this team seemed to lack, and be vulnerable about when other teams were faster.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i don’t recall TGF ever really playing within the offense

he alway seemed to just try and go all AAU ball and do his own thing
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And yeah, Braun tends to play within himself which is why he’s getting minutes over TGIF.

But, spoiler alert! If a player has more nba upside then he has more college potential too.

Over the next two years, a team that has TGIF dialed in is gonna have much more upside.

...unless anyone wants to otherwise argue why they’d prefer to spend the next two seasons watching Braun stand there scared to shoot...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:28 pm i don’t recall TGF ever really playing within the offense

he alway seemed to just try and go all AAU ball and do his own thing
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Because this thread tends to suggest that is something we actually needed. I actually think both arguments have merit.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:29 pm And yeah, Braun tends to play within himself which is why he’s getting minutes over TGIF.

But, spoiler alert! If a player has more nba upside then he has more college potential too.

Over the next two years, a team that has TGIF dialed in is gonna have much more upside.
I don't think any of these statements are necessary truths.

Braun's biggest issue this year was role. He clearly made the team better than TGF did. He's a much more mature player, but younger. Countless examples of NBA prospects not figuring it out until much after college.

Now, if you want to talk about why Bryce Thompson was getting minutes over Tyon, I am all ears. That seemed to be throwing a bone to the blue chip.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think it’s possible to attack and also play within the offense.

Reps would only help with that.