Shaka to Marquette

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Shaka to Marquette

Post by PhDhawk »

what!?!?!?!?!?!?!
How does that make sense for any party involved?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22 am what!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Only thing that makes sense is Shaka saw the writing on the wall.

And guessing Texas would be released from a buyout since Shaka took another job.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Beard to Texas and KU on probation would be quite a landscape change in the Big 12.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Marquette is actually a perfect fit. It has a national Championship. Recruit down in Chicago. Jesuit values. Great facilities.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:22 am what!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Makes plenty of sense for Marquette. That's about their level.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

OH MY GOD! That is wild.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 am Beard to Texas and KU on probation would be quite a landscape change in the Big 12.
I assume Tech would recede, though, so it's not a huge net difference.

In other words, if Texas gets a little better (they were a 3, so there's only so much headroom) and Tech gets much worse, we're in better shape than if Tech stayed really good and Texas (with Oats or something) got a little better.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think if you get past the drop down in prestige and pay cut, all parties have to be pretty thrilled.

Shaka must have been dead man walking.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 am Beard to Texas and KU on probation would be quite a landscape change in the Big 12.

In other words, if Texas gets a little better (they were a 3, so there's only so much headroom) and Tech gets much worse, we're in better shape than if Tech stayed really good and Texas (with Oats or something) got a little better.
I am just assuming UT would give Beard the resources to recruit like Shaka, but you're correct that Tech receding would make up for it.

We might be seeing some of those early 2000's UT teams, though. I think it's great.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am

I am just assuming UT would give Beard the resources to recruit like Shaka, but you're correct that Tech receding would make up for it.

We might be seeing some of those early 2000's UT teams, though. I think it's great.
The streak would not exist but for the divisional scheduling, that's for damn sure.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Quite hilarious though that he dipped before Texas had a tough decision to make.

But I think he'll kill it at Marquette. More his style of school. I don't think he does well with a school like Texas.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:36 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am

The streak would not exist but for the divisional scheduling, that's for damn sure.
And that's the truth.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:37 amBut I think he'll kill it at Marquette. More his style of school.
Of course, he has 0 conference championships.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

According to people in the know at Texas, Texas was giving him the chance to speak freely to other schools and have him leave so they didn't have to fire their coach.

Although in this case, I think it makes Texas look bad. Fire them, don't let them leave for a step down.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 am I think if you get past the drop down in prestige and pay cut, all parties have to be pretty thrilled.

That's the part I can't get past. That, and the way it makes UT look. I mean, they avoid having to fire Smart, and the buyout, etc. But the look of having your HC leave because he prefers Marquette.

And for coaches and their egos...to say, I can't hack it at Texas I need to go someplace smaller...is very surprising.

And if you told me today I had to choose to hire a HC and my choices were Wojo or Smart...I think I'd go Wojo...although their resumes at Marquette and UT are eerily similar.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:40 amAlthough in this case, I think it makes Texas look bad. Fire them, don't let them leave for a step down.
I am sure Texas's #1 motivation was money and that outrageous buyout.

But, it could allow Shaka to spin it and say he left on his terms for a better fit. Fired never looks great.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:43 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:33 am I think if you get past the drop down in prestige and pay cut, all parties have to be pretty thrilled.

That's the part I can't get past. That, and the way it makes UT look. I mean, they avoid having to fire Smart, and the buyout, etc. But the look of having your HC leave because he prefers Marquette.

And for coaches and their egos...to say, I can't hack it at Texas I need to go someplace smaller...is very surprising.

And if you told me today I had to choose to hire a HC and my choices were Wojo or Smart...I think I'd go Wojo...although their resumes at Marquette and UT are eerily similar.
You know Wojo has to be laughing about it.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:45 am

You know Wojo has to be laughing about it.
Right, I'm sure the reason he got fired were for missing the tourney too often and not making it past the opening round when he did, so they replace him with a guy who frequently missed the tourney and never got out of the first round at Texas.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

All fair points.

I don't think UT will particularly care what it looks like if they get their guy, and you'd think they have a couple of guys lined up to throw UT money at.

Shaka must have been on his way out and I agree that it's really not an improvement over Wojo.