Would you be on the Jury?

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Would you be on the Jury?

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:14 pm Watching a little bit of the coverage. So far, it's been peaceful. I hope it stays that way. It's worrying that there are TV cameras in the crowd. I know the media wants to be there and film it, but it also encourages people with a case of the "look at me's" to act up to get their face on national TV. Again, I have no solution to this, but I kind of wish the TV cameras weren't there.
True or not, I believe part of why Memphis has been quiet is that the National Guard was called in.

As far as the video, it's interesting that it seems the Black cops had a "gang" mentality - without a true leader that had common sense and morals.
Shocking to me that not a single one of them realized or cared what they were doing was incredibly wrong.
They knew they had body cams on and had to know there were other cameras in the area that were recording - and they didn't give a shit. Did they never consider the repercussions of their action/s and if not, why not? Or did they simply not care?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the beating was obviously awful in its own right, but to then see everyone just standing around…even the two first responder/ems guys, who actually have a code of ethics to administer aid…

To conserve life, alleviate suffering, promote health, do no harm, and encourage the quality and equal availability of emergency medical care.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:56 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:14 pm Watching a little bit of the coverage. So far, it's been peaceful. I hope it stays that way. It's worrying that there are TV cameras in the crowd. I know the media wants to be there and film it, but it also encourages people with a case of the "look at me's" to act up to get their face on national TV. Again, I have no solution to this, but I kind of wish the TV cameras weren't there.
True or not, I believe part of why Memphis has been quiet is that the National Guard was called in.

As far as the video, it's interesting that it seems the Black cops had a "gang" mentality - without a true leader that had common sense and morals.
Shocking to me that not a single one of them realized or cared what they were doing was incredibly wrong.
They knew they had body cams on and had to know there were other cameras in the area that were recording - and they didn't give a shit. Did they never consider the repercussions of their action/s and if not, why not? Or did they simply not care?
Makes you question if these special forces units are good to have. I think those can attract the exact people that shouldn’t be on them.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I think the family specifically calling for peace makes a difference.

As far as the actions of the officers, it is a “wolf pack” mentality. I have seen it dozens of times in LE, from both sides.

One person goes over a line, fueling the next…,and so on. Adrenaline flows, sight lines become limited, rationale becomes slight.

If you haven’t been in a life or death situation, you simply cannot comprehend how limited and primitive your thoughts become.

An example of that is the victim screaming the same thing over and over, like a broken record. Most of his brain function is survival, not processing vobabulary.

I watched a friend bleed out from a serious brain trauma. His eyes were independently looking around, trying to process the situation. He mumbled “door” dozens of times. He had stepped through a door and had gotten bashed over the head with a weight bar.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, yea, wolfpack. Like George Floyd and so many others, coulda saved a lot of trouble if one dood had simply said something as simple as, "maybe we should dial it back." Or even, "maybe this could come back to bite us in the ass."
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

might be partially that

might be partially the family calling for peace

might be partially the officers arent white
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

My guess is all of the above.
Cynical me says/asks why would the National Guard presence, the family calling for peace, and the race of the officers, have any bearing and stop people who are hell bent on causing chaos?
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:18 am My guess is all of the above.
Cynical me says/asks why would the National Guard presence, the family calling for peace, and the race of the officers, have any bearing and stop people who are hell bent on causing chaos?
Yes, there are always different groups of people when it comes to demonstrations after situations like these. Protestors, people that want to fuck shit up, and then the looters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

James Baldwin on black police

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The cops being black changes almost nothing for me. One of the big main issues has always been the relationship between law enforcement and the black community, particularly young black males. The cops being black only removes just one aspect of the role of racism.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

while I can't even imagine what it'd be like to loose a loved one to police brutality, I also can't imagine what it'd be like to have to get up there with a bunch of mics and cameras in your face and call for peace.

Also, to what degree are body cams meant to protect civilians from cops, more so than the other way around?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:22 am The cops being black changes almost nothing for me. One of the big main issues has always been the relationship between law enforcement and the black community, particularly young black males. The cops being black only removes just one aspect of the role of racism.
I wonder which side those particular cops were on during the BLM protests
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and I admittedly haven't watched/listened to all the available recordings, but, anyone know the details of the stop?

all I've seen was he was pulled over for "reckless driving." What exactly does that mean?

And what was the particular sequence of events? how did a traffic stop for reckless driving escalate to the driver being tased, pepper sprayed, fleeing, and ultimately beaten to death?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Bring out the “if he would have just complied” crowd.

In that recording, you can actually see the juxtaposition of that statement.

6 cops screaming 6 different orders….”fight or flight” at 100% for EVERYONE involved.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

man, lotsa rumors...

did cops allegedly see him driving recklessly the night before? Did he cut off an unmarked car? At least one thing I read said the police chief admits there was no such evidence of reckless driving on Nichols' part

Did cops have some other vendetta against him? (again, rumors, but the buzz around Memphis is Tyre got too friendly with one cop's girlfriend...rumors rumors rumors, but...premeditation, anyone?)

and it seems like cops just come running up to his car, open the door, and pull him out...like, no "license and registration," no "do you know why I pulled you over," just run up with weapons drawn, screaming threats and profanities, and pull him outta his car...I guess that's part of what prompted the aggravated kidnapping charges

yea, cops all screaming different shit...one cop yells GET DOWN ON THE GROUND, and he's laying there just like but I AM down on the ground!

it seems like they had plenty of opportunities to cuff him, but the cops are all so worked up it's like they're less interested in just cuffing and detaining, and more interested in just wailing on him.

(I've heard at least one unrelated account from a cop who said his fave thing to do was tell people "you're under arrest" over and over, even if they weren't actually planning on arresting, but not cuff or detain, just on the chance they panic and run, cuz that's a WAY more exciting shift for a cop than just doing it by the book....)

and for that matter, in HS we got pulled over (I was the passenger) and the cop kept telling us we were going to jail, as we just sat there clueless, until after a long ordeal and searching the car and everything, he finally just gave the driver a traffic ticket.

Back to Tyre...

one of the cops who deployed pepper spray also sprayed at least two other cops

one cop is seen limping, which is an injury suffered from punting the dude's head so hard it hurt the cop's foot, and after he was already cuffed

yea, fight or flight. "we live in a country in which a trained cop is allowed to panic, but untrained civilians are expected to remain calm with a gun in their face" (or a buncha cops coming at you like a pack of wolves)
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:22 am The cops being black changes almost nothing for me. One of the big main issues has always been the relationship between law enforcement and the black community, particularly young black males. The cops being black only removes just one aspect of the role of racism.
You don't think that there would be stronger, bigger, and sometimes violent protests if those officers were white?

I definitely think that it changes the reaction very significantly.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

or, I wonder what the reaction would be if a buncha black cops did this to a white victim...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:53 pm
You don't think that there would be stronger, bigger, and sometimes violent protests if those officers were white?

Idk, calls for speculation.

I was talking about the overall issues, though.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:01 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:53 pm

Idk, calls for speculation.

I was talking about the overall issues, though.
I found myself nodding to this quite a bit.

https://defector.com/cop-city-is-a-step ... cop-nation
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Maybe I should post this on the conspiracy thread but I can't help but question if one or more of the Cops knew Tyre Nichols before the debacle - and if it played a role in why they beat the living crap out of him.