Welcome Bobby Pettiford Jr

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Welcome Bobby Pettiford Jr

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:38 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:34 am Are any of these dudes ready to contribute right away?
TyTy and McKissic would. Curry will compete for backup 5 minutes. No on the rest of the recruits.
You and I are flipped on Curry and Clemence.
I see Clemence as an Enaruna without 2 years in the system.

He's a Kyle Singler type and 18 years old. I'm not sure that is what we want backing up at the 5, but it is nice to have options other than Mitch.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:40 am McKissic on Self,
"“He told me that, he wasn’t really happy with the loss to USC (in NCAA Tournament). He is trying trying to get back to having athleticism and speed, those two combo guard backcourts, like a Frank Mason and Devonté Graham backcourt."
I didn't want to say it yesterday, because I hate tiny backcourts, but Pettiford really looks a lot like the type of Guard Self likes to play at the 2 (Chalmers, Graham, Dotson in half court sets). He might not be recruiting over Harris, but recruiting for the guy next to him.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am

TyTy and McKissic would. Curry will compete for backup 5 minutes. No on the rest of the recruits.

He's a Kyle Singler type and 18 years old. I'm not sure that is what we want backing up at the 5, but it is nice to have options other than Mitch.
I think he's more polished and a better shooter, though less athletic than Enaruna, so he might have a better learning curve (at least offensively).

My fear is, Self is still pissed about missing on Hurt and he got a poor man's version.
Optimistically we got a guy with legitimate PF size who can stretch the defense.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:47 am
"“He told me that, he wasn’t really happy with the loss to USC (in NCAA Tournament). He is trying trying to get back to having athleticism and speed, those two combo guard backcourts, like a Frank Mason and Devonté Graham backcourt."
I didn't want to say it yesterday, because I hate tiny backcourts, but Pettiford really looks a lot like the type of Guard Self likes to play at the 2 (Chalmers, Graham, Dotson in half court sets). He might not be recruiting over Harris, but recruiting for the guy next to him.
Frank, Vonte and Selden not any bigger than Harris, ( in your scenario ) Pettiford and Ochai.
You didn't hate that backcourt.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:56 am
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:47 am
Frank, Vonte and Selden not any bigger than Harris, ( in your scenario ) Pettiford and Ochai.
You didn't hate that backcourt.
I couldn't hate any backcourt with Selden in it.

(in new england accent) But Wayne's not walking through that door!
Last edited by PhDhawk on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Grayson Allen, Greg Paulus, Wayne Selden.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:14 am Grayson Allen, Greg Paulus, Wayne Selden.

Even if you rounded that lineup out with Georges Niang and Joakim Noah, I'd still root for Selden.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bench of Quentin Grimes, Cookie Belcher, the Pressey's, David Harrison and Aaron Craft.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:26 am Bench of Quentin Grimes, Cookie Belcher, the Pressey's, David Harrison and Aaron Craft.
What's Craft's level of Rosacea?

How fat is Grimes?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 am

I think he's more polished and a better shooter, though less athletic than Enaruna, so he might have a better learning curve (at least offensively).

My fear is, Self is still pissed about missing on Hurt and he got a poor man's version.
Optimistically we got a guy with legitimate PF size who can stretch the defense.
I'm glad Clemence is Class of 2021, because I'm not sure why that type of stretch 4 would pick playing for Bill right now, especially after the Enaruna transfer.

I think Clemence (in time) feels like the ideal 4 man for the college game.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

While his sample size was really small but to be a stretch 4 you actually have to be able to shot it and shot it effectively. I never saw that from Tristan.
Holidaysmore - 2005
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We never saw Tristan do anything capably well. Not sure why him not playing would scare off a legitimate stretch 4
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 am We never saw Tristan do anything capably well. Not sure why him not playing would scare off a legitimate stretch 4
Because Bill has never really played a player like Tristan.

And for all the ways we can spin Tristan not playing here as his own fault, that he sucks, yada yada, there are others out there that are doing the exact opposite and are in recruits' ears. Asking a recruit like Clemence why he would play for a coach that refused to play a similarly ranked stretch 4.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 am
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:21 am We never saw Tristan do anything capably well. Not sure why him not playing would scare off a legitimate stretch 4

And for all the ways we can spin Tristan not playing here as his own fault, that he sucks, yada yada, there are others out there that are doing the exact opposite and are in recruits' ears. Asking a recruit like Clemence why he would play for a coach that refused to play a similarly ranked stretch 4.
Gotta believe youre better and work harder than the guy that rode pine. Pride. Prove it attitude. Tristan wouldnt discourage me because he sat, it would discourage me more if he played a lot and we couldn't find a way to get him involved. Playing time wasnt limited because of the system necessarily
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 am

Gotta believe youre better and work harder than the guy that rode pine. Pride. Prove it attitude. Tristan wouldnt discourage me because he sat, it would discourage me more if he played a lot and we couldn't find a way to get him involved. Playing time wasnt limited because of the system necessarily
Cool. Meanwhile, they're choosing other programs.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You referenced clemence in your post. He's here.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

other than Enaruna himself, what other players “like” him have we had that didn’t succeed?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am other than Enaruna himself, what other players “like” him have we had that didn’t succeed?
TGF

Mario Little

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mario Little did pretty well here all things considered.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:39 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:36 am other than Enaruna himself, what other players “like” him have we had that didn’t succeed?
TGF

Mario Little
Little got plenty of clock