New Mac Talk

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: New Mac Talk

Post by TDub »

not a mac but I think this is the only thread for computers.

haven't had a computer in 15 years....bear with me.

I can probably Google this or juat go to the store..but. I need a computer with min i7 and 8GB. preferably as cheap as possible, I'm only going to use it to run some accounting and bid software.

ready, go!
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just do a holiday deal at somewhere that's not Walmart. Micro Center, Best Buy, Costco, even Amazon. You can put those specs in. I would only pay a good amount south of $500.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Why not Walmart?

But yes all those other big box guys
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

You need an i7 for accounting software?
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've always had good luck with Dell. I'm assuming you are wanting a laptop? You can pick up this one for $400.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E7 ... NrPXRydWU=
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:46 amWhy not Walmart?
Mostly, I really don't trust their CS should anything go wrong. Then, are you getting re-boxed returns? Display models?

And, like with their TV's, I have this superstition that Walmart/Target are not getting the real deal models. Like, say you want an LG 55xx90, maybe the Walmart version is 55xx90a. I've seen that in the past, but not sure if they're still doing it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I was just running accounting software and wanted something cheapish and mobile, I'd probably consider a Microsoft Surface.

You can get one with an i5 ( which is prob all you need ) and 8 GB for 500-600 bucks.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:53 am You need an i7 for accounting software?
I dunno what i7 even means but that's what was recommended for the desktop and web based application.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

thanks for the input everybody, I'll do some checking today
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:04 am
I dunno what i7 even means but that's what was recommended for the desktop and web based application.
Oy. What on Earth could accounting software be doing to require that much processing power...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Is this software creating dynamic 3D models of data on the fly or something?
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:04 am
i7 is the Intel processor. My work laptop has i5. Higher the number means it's newer and faster.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

gotcha. I cant imagine it would need anything special. thats probably just what they recommend for beat performance or something. Im just gonna use quickbooks for now so its a pretty damn simple and low usage program I would imagine.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I was juat using the app on my phone but the app is kind of garbage.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 pm I was juat using the app on my phone but the app is kind of garbage.
I find some apps not to be very user friendly or I'm just used to seeing everything on my screen. Even the Amazon app seems weird to me versus just going to their website.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 pm gotcha. I cant imagine it would need anything special. thats probably just what they recommend for beat performance or something. Im just gonna use quickbooks for now so its a pretty damn simple and low usage program I would imagine.
I use Quicken for accounting and Xcel for bidding spreadsheets. Both work great and are CPA friendly.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 pm gotcha. I cant imagine it would need anything special. thats probably just what they recommend for beat performance or something. Im just gonna use quickbooks for now so its a pretty damn simple and low usage program I would imagine.
If you can get by with Quickbooks online, then look into a chromebook or tablet/iPad.

Chromebooks are dirt cheap and tablets/iPads have more unique advantages. The iPad app might also be a lot better than the smartphone app.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Costco has an HP touchscreen laptop, i5, 512 GB SSD (this is what you want, regardless of anything else - ie. no moving parts) and 12 GB RAM, with W11. I think it’s good deal. I also like the iPad option
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm
If you can get by with Quickbooks online, then look into a chromebook or tablet/iPad.

Chromebooks are dirt cheap and tablets/iPads have more unique advantages. The iPad app might also be a lot better than the smartphone app.
so I looked into the chromebook option briefly. Apparently I can use the web based version through chromebook but I still have to have a desktop based program on a "base" computer. So id have to have both to use it. Which, makes zero sense to me and it is entirely possible I am misinterpreting that.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm

so I looked into the chromebook option briefly. Apparently I can use the web based version through chromebook but I still have to have a desktop based program on a "base" computer. So id have to have both to use it. Which, makes zero sense to me and it is entirely possible I am misinterpreting that.
Yeah, I don't know the program, but sounds like you're going to have to get a cheap, but sturdy PC. I'd have to agree that i7 seems like way too much machine for just that. At least it sounds like either a biz expense or a write-off.