New Mac Talk

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: New Mac Talk

Post by TDub »

defixione wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:25 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 pm gotcha. I cant imagine it would need anything special. thats probably just what they recommend for beat performance or something. Im just gonna use quickbooks for now so its a pretty damn simple and low usage program I would imagine.
I use Quicken for accounting and Xcel for bidding spreadsheets. Both work great and are CPA friendly.
Its highly likely I'll switch to excel for bidding once I get a computer to run it. I'm fairly proficient and quick in excel and I've used it a lot when I was running jobs for other companies. We used excel and Microsoft project extensively.

I'm still learning how to be most productive with running/owning the company, doing the bids and having to perform the work. Its a learning process and of all things, the paperwork side gets pushed to the back burner....it'll have to be done but its way less important than putting out a quality product, particularly when word of mouth is such a big part of getting business. Plus ...I like the work and dislike the paper pushing ha.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:44 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm

If you can get by with Quickbooks online, then look into a chromebook or tablet/iPad.

Chromebooks are dirt cheap and tablets/iPads have more unique advantages. The iPad app might also be a lot better than the smartphone app.
so I looked into the chromebook option briefly. Apparently I can use the web based version through chromebook but I still have to have a desktop based program on a "base" computer. So id have to have both to use it. Which, makes zero sense to me and it is entirely possible I am misinterpreting that.
Yeah, I don't know the program, but sounds like you're going to have to get a cheap, but sturdy PC. I'd have to agree that i7 seems like way too much machine for just that. At least it sounds like either a biz expense or a write-off.
definetely a business expense/write off...thats the plus side.
Just Ledoux it
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:46 pm
defixione wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:25 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 pm gotcha. I cant imagine it would need anything special. thats probably just what they recommend for beat performance or something. Im just gonna use quickbooks for now so its a pretty damn simple and low usage program I would imagine.
I use Quicken for accounting and Xcel for bidding spreadsheets. Both work great and are CPA friendly.
Its highly likely I'll switch to excel for bidding once I get a computer to run it. I'm fairly proficient and quick in excel and I've used it a lot when I was running jobs for other companies. We used excel and Microsoft project extensively.

I'm still learning how to be most productive with running/owning the company, doing the bids and having to perform the work. Its a learning process and of all things, the paperwork side gets pushed to the back burner....it'll have to be done but its way less important than putting out a quality product, particularly when word of mouth is such a big part of getting business. Plus ...I like the work and dislike the paper pushing ha.
This was a huge dilemma for me--I love the work, creativity, exercise--and realized that there were only three routes I could take: Doing everything myself, hiring someone to do bids and paperwork or hiring someone to do the work and doing the bids and paperwork myself. I opted to do everything myself. After 40 years of contracting, I'm glad I did what I did. I lost out on a few jobs because of manpower and timing, But I've managed to gross over $1.5 million a year (small change for some contractors) and still lead some semblance of a balanced life. My problem now is that high end clients won't let me retire, even after increasing my rates 50%.

Good luck to you, TDub, over time it will all become crystal clear to you on how to proceed.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

iPhone 13 pro is awesome (updated from 8)

plus, it’s fucking green
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?