How we learned it in school

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

How we learned it in school

Post by ousdahl »

This got brought up in another thread, but, what are some things you guys recall learning in grade school that, uh, weren’t quite the best description of how it actually went down?
ousdahl

Re: How we learned it in school

Post by ousdahl »

The whole relationship with native Americans seemed a little too cozy. “Columbus showed up, and the Indians taught them how to grow corn, then they all sat down for a turkey dinner together, it was chill”

And the 60s civil rights movement, as if MLK did all the work needed, and racism was pretty much over after that.

And I legit thought all babies came direct from god, and if a chick got pregnant out of wedlock, it was cuz god was spiting them for not being faithful enough, but I went to Catholic school, so that might be a little more unique
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In elementary school, native Americans and the colonization of the US was pretty cookie cutter happy etc. and I generally agree that you don’t try to teach an eight year old about massacres and scalping. Cut out turkeys made of colored paper and make some corn stalk ornaments.

Fortunately for me, I had great middle school and high school history teachers who weren’t afraid to teach how shitty Europeans were to the natives ( amongst a lot of other stuff outside of the text books ).
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. European colonization of the Mericas could just as easily be framed as among the most egregious mass genocides the world has ever known, but to us in school it’s framed is a bunch of puritans seeking some freedom.

(Cuz somehow, early American colonists were too uptight for England. England! Think about that)

I also grew up thinking it was the good pure Christian folks trying to save the souls of the rest of the world, then got to public school for junior high, and learned about Islam. Mind. Blown. But that’s more my own sheltered religious upbringing
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:59 pm The whole relationship with native Americans seemed a little too cozy. “Columbus showed up, and the Indians taught them how to grow corn, then they all sat down for a turkey dinner together, it was chill”

And the 60s civil rights movement, as if MLK did all the work needed, and racism was pretty much over after that.

And I legit thought all babies came direct from god, and if a chick got pregnant out of wedlock, it was cuz god was spiting them for not being faithful enough, but I went to Catholic school, so that might be a little more unique
You were taught those things (in that way) in school? I wasn't.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Illy wasn’t taught in school.

Makes sense.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and man, I WISH I could remember what they taught us in the Dare program.

But all I remember was the dude who won the dare essay contest is now the biggest pothead I know.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^look at what time (mountain) that was posted.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the Pocahontas/John Smith story is bs

as is most of telling of “taming” the west...at least until maybe jr. high (i think that’s about when the Trail of Tears is taught). even so, much of “relationship” between white settlers and american indians is glossed over. very little attention is given to heritage or diversity of cultures that was present before whitey even set foot on this continent
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Where’s that Santorum clip about how there just ain’t much Native American culture in America, wonder why, senator assjuice?
Deleted User 863

Then is no history better? Because i agree whitewashed history isn't okay, but at the same time what are you wanting 5-9 year olds to be taught about those types of things?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Maybe just a more realistic less whitewashed version of shit.

And in hindsight, it’s pretty weird that we all had to stand up and hand over heart and recite the pledge of allegiance to the flag.

A buddy got arrested in high school over some controversy stemming from a refusal to do so, but I don’t remember the deets
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:59 pm The whole relationship with native Americans seemed a little too cozy. “Columbus showed up, and the Indians taught them how to grow corn, then they all sat down for a turkey dinner together, it was chill”

I don’t remember what was said, but in 1992, it was the 500 year anniversary of Columbus “finding” America. I remember a full day session where the entire school was in the auditorium, and it was like a 5 hour circle jerk on how great Columbus was. I was in first grade so I don’t remember the actual content was, but I do remember it being weird. Boy, that Columbus guy sounds like he’s going to get canceled in 2092 tho!
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:27 pm Maybe just a more realistic less whitewashed version of shit.

And in hindsight, it’s pretty weird that we all had to stand up and hand over heart and recite the pledge of allegiance to the flag.

A buddy got arrested in high school over some controversy stemming from a refusal to do so, but I don’t remember the deets
A realistic version of history to 5-9 year olds? Reality is far too gruesome.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

As said in another thread, I don't have an issue with the pledge of allegiance in public schools but if a kid doesn't want to stand or be part, there shouldn't be any repercussions.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

As a 4th or 5th grader we had a teacher named Carl Benoit.
Someone's older sibling thought it was funny to call him Mr. Ben Wa Balls so of course we started doing it. The Principal had a tough time explaining to us why it was inappropriate.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think the way they are teaching elementary school kids to code now is not productive. All these algorithm games where they put buttons in some order - I don't know what that does.

They should just teach them very small slices of things, but real code. Hell, my 7 year old can navigate a Linux OS. That's a more useful start IMO.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cursive. Couldn't do it then, even worse now.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Wonder if kids would even be able to write in 50 years? I thought the only reason that we’d keep writing alive was lab notebooks, to record experiments in the lab. Then they came up with robust electronic lab notebooks. We thought it would be to record/approve regulatory documents....then there’s DocuSign.....I can’t even remember the last time I wrote a check!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:25 pm Cursive. Couldn't do it then, even worse now.
Gotta learn long division cuz it’s not like you’re gonna spend the rest of yer lives with a calculator in yer pocket!

- sent from my iPhone